Guys! I have four new favorite makeup items!
I’m going to review them all at once, since they’re all from W3LL People.
1. Universalist 1 and 2 as a duo pot—or as separate sticks. I have the sticks, and I love them. Now, the internet has a serious makeup-color-showing problem (which is why we need more brick and mortars, please, especially in New York), so I’m going to politely ask you to ignore the colors you see on your screen and indulge me as I try to describe them instead.
The colored stick you see here on the left, Universalist 1, looks in person more like a bronzey, dusty rose. It’s got a lot of glow to it without being sparkly, and it has become my go-to everyday blush. It’s literally impossible to mess up, and it’s flattering on every skin color I’ve seen it on. You can dab it on lightly for a super subtle healthy glow or layer it on a little thicker for evening, if you want the color to pop more. Little trick Shirley from W3LL People taught me: Apply a tiny amount under the edge of your eyebrow arch—just a dab, guys—and you won’t really be able to see it, but it makes your eyes really pop!
The 2, meanwhile, is not a solid color at all, as it appears in some pictures. It’s actually a luminizer/highlighter, and it works great on cheekbones, cupids bow, eyelids and even under the outside edge off eye. Just be sure to blend it well. Looks so great! You can see me dorking out about it, and see Shirley explaining how to apply them in the video over here.
(Because we only hawk the stuff we love, you can also currently get both in our little deal. If you want.)
2. The black eyeliner. Also wild about their new eyeliner! Because it’s not technically waterproof I was warned against under eye lash lining but I find it works great and lasts—even at cry-inducing weddings and on hot days. At the same time, it washes off easily with my Kahina cleanser, which is a nice plus. I’ve been into tight-lining my upper lash line and the outside of my lower lash line with it for a nice sharp pop. Fun!
3. The shimmery eyeshadow. I have Elitist 814, which you can see over here. Shirley applied it on me when she did my makeup for that video (confidential to Shirley: Can you do my makeup every day? Thank you) and I’ve since been using it for day and night. For night I layer it with a darker browny bronze. For day I wear it solo when I’m feeling a little less than spiritely, like today! It doesn’t look cakey or teenybopper at all—it’s quite subtle, but makes a huge difference. The color, which is a warm salmony gold, is just so pretty.
Have you tried any new makeup you love?
We also have a video up where Siobhan is talking about the line, and we have W3LL’s cofounder and in-house makeup artist and guru explaining how to apply it.
We had it a few weeks ago as a deal and many of you seemed bummed you missed it—so we found another way to get it out there. Here’s the deal with these two colors:
They’re perfect for summer because the colors are sheer enough to look like you don’t have any makeup on; they look good on every complexion (even super pale people!); and you can apply them without looking, when no one’s looking, on the go.
We love the color on the left (which is a lot tamer than it looks in the picture) for a sun kissed look—essential now that we’re all wearing natural sunscreen and have sworn off our sunless tanners (ahem!). And the shimmery highlighter is sparkle free, adding a nice touch of light to your cheekbones, eyelids, cupid’s bow, and wherever else you feel like putting it.
You can get the duo over here, now!
The days are winding down for you to send in your summer hair challenge pics! (Which officially ends Sunday, unless we decide to extend it—ahem.) We’re getting a bunch of applications, but we want more! And in honor of the challenge, OpenSky has decided to encore our Acure Organics deal. Boom.
As you may recall, the rules for the challenge are as follows: Get your hair wet, either wash and condition, just condition (like me!) or do nothing (ya hippie!), then let your hair air dry and snap a pic. Send your lovely portrait to us at nomoredirtylooks (at) gmail (dot) com with HAIR CHALLENGE in the subject line. Pretty easy stuff.
Oh, and use clean products! As it so happens we both used Acure for our challenge, hence the genius idea of rebooting this deal… I’m also pleased to say that my husband is quite taken with the shampoo, and has stopped threatening to go back to Head & Shoulders—something he likes to do just to annoy me.
That’s us! We’re among the new beauty insiders, repping naturals of course, on a popular curated site called OpenSky. Are you familiar with it?
OpenSky works with celebs—of the Padma Lakshmi and Martha Stewart variety, no less—and experts (the more “regular” folk like us), to offer vetted and loved products to its many members.
Every week we will feature new products that we love, and there’s usually some sort of limited-time discount or freebie with them. It’s a membership site, so if you want to support us in this new venture, you have to be a joiner! (Meaning, like, put in an email address and password.) No worries if you’re not, we won’t hold it against you.
But if you are, this is a special link that leads to a today-only presale—with free shipping.
We attended a launch party for it this morning in New York and met all kinds of lovely people. Even better? We got to gush about the stuff we talk about all the time over here, too. (But since it was all new people, we didn’t feel like a broken record. Heh.)
Here’s why we’re super excited about this new venture:
- It brings natural beauty to a whole new audience.
- We get to, as always, only recommend things that are truly clean and actually work
- It helps these companies grow!
- It means great deals on great products.
Oh, and our first featured products are, appropriately, from Lotus Wei. And everything we picked is on sale. Boom! Who’s in?