How to Drink a Watermelon (and Why You Should)

watermelon juice

Summer is almost over, and I might be panicking just a tiny bit about that. To keep summer going strong, I’ve latched on to that summertime classic—watermelon. Here’s the thing about watermelon, though—I’m the only person who eats it at home, so I’m normally only half way through a melon before it starts to go all mushy and sour. A few weeks ago I decided if I can’t eat, I can drink it, and my new juice obsession was born. Now I’m buying watermelon expressly for the juice, and I’m sharing it with anyone who will have a glass. The grocery store keeps selling these mini seedless watermelons for $2.99 a pop, and they make over 32 ounces of juice. Even better news—juicing a watermelon is not hard, annoying or time consuming and it doesn’t require a fancy juicer.

But first, let me give you a few good reasons to juice a watermelon besides that brilliant color and taste.

If you’re worried about the sugar content, don’t be too hard on yourself. This is fruit we’re talking about, not that ice cold KitKat you’ve been stashing in the freezer for movie night and then ate for breakfast. It can happen. Admittedly, watermelon does rank high on the glycemic index, but watermelon is more than just sugar water. It’s high in iron, lycopene, vitamins A, B6 and C plus amino acids and potassium. Pretty nutritious stuff. Lycopene alone—that cancer-fighting antioxidant that gives fruit and vegetables their red pigment—makes watermelon an attractive choice. Plus the amino acid it contains can improve circulation and blood flow. I can keep providing reasons to love this melon, but let’s just agree that something that brightly colored is bound to have health benefits.

Now to the important part—how to juice a watermelon without a ton of work.

First, buy a nice melon. Look for a mini seedless watermelon or go for half of a big one. Cut the melon in half, and use a big spoon to scoop out the flesh directly into a blender. This is a super quick process since watermelon is soft and very scoopable. Blend on high until the watermelon is liquefied. This will only take about 30 seconds. Now here’s the part where a special kitchen tool comes in handy. If you own a nut milk bag (you can buy one for less than $10) then your watermelon juice is about to be sublime. Strain the watermelon puree through the nut milk bag into a large bowl or pitcher. I like to strain into a big bowl and then use a funnel to pour the juice into a bottle. There will be very little pulp that gathers in the nut milk bag, but this small bit of filtration makes the juice feel like you’re on a vacation. A summer vacation.

Do you have a watermelon obsession? How are you spending the last days of summer?

*originally published summer 2015

Comments
14 Responses to “How to Drink a Watermelon (and Why You Should)”
  1. Naomi says:

I started juicing with watermelon for pretty much the same reason – too much to eat before it went rancid! I also find it super hydrating and super yummy :)

I don’t bother straining it, though – I don’t find there is enough pulp to make it difficult to drink, and I like the idea of getting the fibre. I will be sorry when winter sets in and no more watermelon… :(

2. Kelsey says:

You could also use cheesecloth over a strainer if you don’t have a nutmilk bag! That’s what I do. Also, I love the Jrink bottle – go DC!

3. Jenny H says:

Heading to the store in a minute, definitely going to snag a melon and give it a go! Sounds dreamy!

4. therese says:

I have been making watermelon Popsicles with lime juice and zest. Sometimes add a little coconut. It’s been my go to sweet for the summer. Love the idea of juicing it. I always have so much left over. How long does the juice last in the refrigerator?

5. Jessica says:

I don’t strain mine either! I put the pieces directly into a pitcher and stick in my immersion blender. It’s also amazing mixed with my home-brewed kombucha!

I have also been known to freeze some of the pieces and throw some in my morning smoothies.

6. Mary says:

I usually combine watermelon and cucumber for a refreshing drink… Been doing it for years!

7. Carol says:

I’ve been obsessed with watermelon juice too all summer! I do have a juicer and I throw in a big container of pre cut watermelon chunks and a handful of fresh mint. I pour it over ice in a big glass and drink it and save half for next day. My skin glows after I drink this too :) and I love how refreshing it is!

8. tal says:

I blend watermelon with cocunut water, chia seeds and mint leaves. Delicious and no need to strain.

9. Marni says:

I love juicing watermelon! My latest favourite is watermelon, cucumber, lime and mint! Try it – so refreshing, and awesome for your skin.

10. Mary says:

A question for you all: are you using seedless watermelons or just throwing it into the blender seeds and all?

11. Patricia says:

Lately I’ve been eating a lot of watermelon too especially in salads but I never thought of juicing it. Will have to try. Thanks

12. Tale servizio consiste nella suddivisione degli abiti a seconda delle occasioni di utilizzo, delle stagioni, dei colori e dei tessuti
    . Verranno realizzati nuovi outfit e i vecchi capi d’abbigliamento verranno reinventati in nuovi impieghi e soluzioni.

13. Addie says:

Watermelon juice can be preserved for the winter. It makes excellent ice cubes! I don’t strain mine, but it still works great. Just juice it and pour it into ice cube trays. It will freeze in about the same time water does. I make several zip lock bags full of watermelon ice to enjoy all winter. Take out several cubes a few hours ahead of time, and when melted, it tastes fresh and wonderful. Also, partially thawed watermelon ice cubes make a wonderful cold, slushy dessert. Nice in high summer if you don’t want ice cream. Bonus, eating the slush really helps knock down. Migraine fast.