5 Things To Know About Chlorophyll

chlorophyll

Have you ever heard that parsley freshens breath? Better yet, have you ever experienced that? Parsley is rich in chlorophyll, the green pigment found in plants and algae, and chlorophyll is a natural deodorizer. (Anyone remember Clorets Gum? Chlorophyll was part of the proprietary breath freshening formula.) It’s abundant in leafy greens, but you can also find chlorophyll and its semi-synthetic derivative chlorophyllin available as a liquid supplement. I first bought liquid chlorophyll to help address my dogs’ terrible breath odor. It works, if you’re wondering.

Then I started adding liquid chlorophyll drops to my water—not for breath freshening per se, though why not—but because chlorophyll has lots of potential benefits for overall wellness, just as you might imagine from something so green. Chlorophyll plays a critical role in photosynthesis and helps plants absorb energy from sunlight. In that way, I like to think of chlorophyll as something that helps recharge and draw energy to my body.

5 Things To Know About Chlorophyll…

It’s alkalizing. Chlorophyll is rich in magnesium, a highly alkaline mineral that helps balance acidity in the body. It promotes an alkaline environment in the body that helps strengthen cell walls, boost energy levels and accelerate the healing process.

It’s calming. Chlorophyll has a calming effect on the nerves thanks to all that magnesium. It reduces the symptoms of insomnia, nervous irritability and general fatigue—helping you feel cool, calm and rested.

It’s rich in antioxidants. As you might expect from something this green, chlorophyll offers a rich source of antioxidants that neutralize harmful free radicals and decrease the potential for damage from oxidative stress. Chlorophyll’s antioxidants increase your skin’s resilience and help you age well.

It’s detoxifying. Chlorophyll has enzymes that help eliminate heavy metals, toxins and carcinogens from the body before they can cause damage. Chlorophyll acts as a blood cleanser, helping oxygen to flow more efficiently to your cells and the adrenal glands to function better.

It offers cancer protection. Chlorophyll and chlorophyllin have demonstrated the ability to block certain carcinogens from doing DNA damage in the body by inhibiting them from absorbing into our system. The Linus Pauling Institute at Oregon State University has promising research findings on the topic.

I bought a pint of liquid chlorophyll and decanted it into a ½ ounce bottle with a dropper so I can easily add 5-10 drops to my water twice a day. Over the last several weeks I’ve noticed its detoxifying effect, particularly in my complexion. The result is similar to when I’m eating chlorophyll-rich greens the way I should—consistently and in abundance, which I’ve been slipping on lately due to a busy schedule. While liquid chlorophyll is no substitute for greens, it’s a great supplement and something I’ll continue to enjoy—along with my dogs—for sweeter breath and better health.

What’s your experience with liquid chlorophyll?

Comments
11 Responses to “5 Things To Know About Chlorophyll”
  1. Rachel says:

I have used this from time to time and love it! Any idea if it’s ok in pregnancy?

2. Anna says:

@rachel I was just about to post about chlorophyll in pregnancy :) I do take chlorophyll during pregnancy. Also my midwife suggests drinking a whole bottle in 24 hrs after birth to prevent hemorrhage. She is pretty stellar in her supplements knowledge…I could email you my before,during,and after list if you’re interested! I’m 36 weeks with #2 and with her holistic guidance with my first I’m hoping for a very similar birth and recovery.

3. Rachel says:

@Anna, wow! That sounds amazing! I would absolutely love that. I had my first child with a midwife and home birth, but I was not nearly as aware of herbs and the like at that point. Now I find myself questioning lots of things. If you don’t mind, my email is rachel.emma.byrne@gmail.com. Thanks very much, and good luck with the last few weeks of pregnancy.

4. Naomi says:

@Susannah – how do you get this into your dogs? Love the idea of freshening my pup’s breath but I’m not sure how to go about doing it…

5. Renata says:

@Anna – please share it with me also! Not that I am pregnant or anything, but very interested for sure! Do you have a blog where you share holistic pregnancy advice? I would love to pick your midwife’s brain for sure :) my email is green.life.in.dublin@gmail.com
    Good luck with the last weeks of pregnancy and congratulations for upcoming bundle of joy!

6. @Naomi I decant into a small glass bottle with dropper cap and add about 5 drops to their food at each meal. They don’t even notice it!

7. Naomi says:

@Susannah – thanks! I am going to try this because as much as I love little puppy kisses I *might* love them more without the salmon breath…

8. Avianti says:

This stuff is like magic! It gives me energy and i love garlic, so this helps a lot! Ive even gotten to the point of craving it! If you like this, look into kombucha too!

9. Connie says:

@anna – I would also love to the info from your midwife. My email is conconsiu@hotmail.com. Much appreciated!!

10. Betsy says:

Just curious – does anyone know if this is okay while nursing a baby? I’m currently nursing. Don’t want to take anything bad for the milk supply or for the baby! (I’ll try to research it myself but if anyone knows off the top of your head, that would be fabulous! Thanks!!)

11. Emily Holland says:

@Anna, I’m late to the comments here but I recently ordered some chlorophyll from beeyoutiful, just for general health and well being. Babies are in my near future and I too would love that list form your holistic mid-wife!
    My email is mleejeen@bellsouth.net
    You rock for helping us ladies out!!!!