4 Natural Deodorants To Keep You Stink-Free This Summer

4 natural deodorants to keep you stink free

I’ve talked about this before on NMDL and from countless conversations I’ve had and other blogs I’ve read, I’ve deduced that natural deodorant is one of the trickiest things to switch over when you’re going clean. The catch is that it’s one of the most important, right? Aluminum in our anti-perspirants has been linked to cancer, especially breast cancer, for the fact that it’s been classified as an endocrine disrupter and can live in your skin’s tissue for far longer than that last swipe of Dove or Secret 48-Hour Protection.

But in a sea of natural deodorants, which ones actually stand out?

And which ones actually work? The fabulous thing about green beauty is that it’s becoming more mainstream every day, and the options for all those tough-to-switch items (mascara, I’m batting my lashes at you) are now seemingly endless. Which brings us to the four natural deodorants, all recent releases, that have been saving me this summer.

1. Meow Meow Tweet’s Stick Deodorant (which Susannah already reviewed) has been the most convenient and the strongest natural deo I’ve tried so far. The eco-friendly, biodegradable container holds a buttery combination of plant oils, mineral powders and essential oils that readily melts onto skin and leaves a really fresh scent behind. I’ve test-driven this everywhere, from a hot beach day to a hot yoga class and my only complaint is that it doesn’t come in more scents. Now, for sensitive-skinned ladies, it does contain baking soda, but it’s such a minimal ingredient that I haven’t had irritation like with other brands. I suggest you add this one to your list.
  2. Jord Organic DUFT Deo has been gracing the top of my dresser since mid-winter, and it’s an at-home go-to (MMT’s is so good for travel!). It comes in a beautiful black jar that looks like a piece of art on my vanity, but what’s inside is just as lovely. A deodorant cream that has none of that grainy consistency you sometimes find in natch deos, but all the odor-busting power of bentonite clay and yummy essential oils like vetiver and black pepper. It’s a deeper, sexier scent that could totally be unisex, and it lasts. I sometimes don’t want to wear perfume when I’ve got this one on because it freshens me so well. And the kind makers of the line formulated one for me without lavender, to which I have developed an allergy.
  3. Kaia Naturals Takesumi Detox is more than a natural deo—it’s a movement. The creators of the charcoal-based deos want to entice newbies to take their #takesumidetox challenge, a 3 or 4 week commitment to a natural deodorant and one other healthy lifestyle change. They know that your body needs time to detox when you’ve been using an anti-perspirant, and that detox can take up to a month. You might go through stages of traditional deo grief, like stinky pits, flaky skin, extra sweat and the like. That’s just your body resetting itself, they say, and getting out all the toxins it’s been holding in for too long. And what better way to rid yourself of toxins than with charcoal, widely renowned for its ability to bind to chemicals and bacteria and get rid of them? I’m taking the challenge myself and so far, it’s been lovely, mostly because the gel-like stick is reminiscent of the deos of days past, and I chose the one that smells like rose.
  4. The Organic Pharmacy Deodorant Spray is the perfect thing to have on hand for the summer. You know when you come in from a walk or quick jaunt out and you find yourself just a little smelly? This organic spray is a pick-me-up in a clear glass bottle. I use it on my feet, on my clothes and in my hair when I need a little boost but have no time for a shower (or a wet wipe bath), and it’s now a purse essential. (If you’re a local Minnesotan, you can pick one up at Fusion Lifespa, which carries practically the whole UK-based line.)

All these new kids on the block deserve your attention, and deserve you giving natural deo another chance, if you’ve been holding out. Tell us, what natural swaps have worked best for you this summer?

Comments
14 Responses to “4 Natural Deodorants To Keep You Stink-Free This Summer”
  1. Kate says:

I really like MMT deos (although I use the one w/o baking soda in a jar – I may branch out and try the stick one!) but that Kaia one sounds SO intriguing. I may have to check that one out!

2. I am still 100% in love with the Meow Meow Tweet sticks. <3 The others mentioned here sound equally lovely!

3. Carrie says:

No longer feeling the love for Soapwalla? Ive been using it for years it because of your site and still love it!

4. Rachel says:

I have really been enjoying the Zabana Essentials deodorant. It gets me through a 12 hour shift as a nurse still smelling fresh, and that’s not an easy thing to say about natural deodorants. I am curious if anyone has tried the Lone body deodorant. It looks intriguing. Curious about the other ones here.

5. Naomi says:

I definitely need something new, my summer sweat is pretty stubborn and wants to be noticed… I’ve just ordered Piperwai after hearing a rave review from a colleague. We had just finished a volunteer event which involved wrestling with giant weeds in the hot mid-day sun and she proudly observed she was completely stink-free, thanks to her Piperwai. I hope it is as effective for me :)

Intrigued by the Kaia, I’m keeping that in mind if I need another new one!

6. Carol says:

The Meow Meow Tweet baking soda free grapefruit version in the jar is a family favorite – it even works for my husband who unfortunately had a bad baking soda reaction when I first switched him off his drugstore stick deodorant. After using the Meow Meow Tweet for a year now successfully, he was willing to try their new stick version after I read the rave reviews here on NMDL. We were worried about the bit of baking soda in their stick version but after being reassured by the wonderful Terri at Integrity Botanicals who personally tested it on herself and said she had no issues, we have it a go. It’s a real standout & works great! He loves having a stick version. My tween daughter and I enjoy the baking soda free jar version – so gentle & effective. Love that I can introduce my young daughter to a safe deodorant that works. Hooray for Meow Moew Tweet!!

7. Alex says:

I have been LOVING R.L. Linden’s Close to Me deo. I was super skeptical about a spray being as effective as creams/sticks with baking soda, but I’ve been so pleasantly surprised! It has kept any funkiness at bay during this brutal Florida summer and the scent is super unique. It reacts with my body chemistry to create a rosy, powdery scent. I had a bit of tingling when I applied it after shaving but other than that, no irritation at all! This is the first baking soda free formula that’s worked well for me. Unfortunately, baking soda formulations cause me to dry out and peel. This discovery has most definitely been a godsend!

8. Katherine says:

Schmidt’s natural lavender sage deodorant has really impressed me for the past 2 weeks, through sweltering heat and outdoor yoga classes. I’m the teacher, and I admit I don’t like waving damp armpits at my students! So the fact that this stuff is wildly absorbant is a blessing. I was odor-free and dry!

One note, I did have a bit of cakey build up on one shirt when it came out of the wash, I think from the first day or two when I was figuring out how much to use; way less than I thought.

Happy Rock Holistic makes a good one too, but it was too drying for my dry skin, and the peeling skin was annoying. (Been natural deo user for years, not a detox.) Oilier types might like it.

9. Steph says:

I have to keep most of my products FF and I love the Blissoma stick. Works like no other!

10. Mary says:

Unfortunately I discovered I’m sensitive to coconut oil so I had to toss my Schmidt’s, Meow Meow Tweet, and Soapwalla after developing itchy red bumps under my arms. I’m interested in trying the Kaia Naturals one mentioned, although I have been having good results with Ursa Major so far.

11. Naomi says:

@Mary – that’s a tough one! Most of the “good” (by reputation) ones have coconut oil which I discovered after finding that I, too, could suffer sensitivity to this ingredient. I found sprays were my best option – R L Linden and Blissoma were both very good. I have ventured back into the cream deo world and am exercising caution in the amount of coconut oil in the formulation and the results so far are positive. I’m using Piper Wai which does have some coconut oil but not enough, it seems, to stress out my skin.

Anyway that’s just my two cents’ worth on the matter – good luck!

12. Lindsay says:

I have yet to see SkinFood by AB mentioned on NMDL- I’ve tried a few of her products after seeing her on a green beauty bloggers instagram (so far love them all except the body scrub, which doesn’t actually “scrub” enough for me”). I wore her deodorant on a stressful day of airports and cross country flights and it really stood up!

Application itself is a not as easy as it looks (it’s in a tube but really needs to be applied with your hand unless it’s the perfect consistency/aka not hot or too cold in your house). But I have to say I was impressed with the total lack of smells coming from me haha.

I am still going to try that charcoal one though- so intriguing!

13. Nina says:

Does the Takesumi deodorant leave dark marks if you’re wearing light colour clothes? I’m currently using the Weleda spray on deodorant in rose, but would prefer to go back to a stick

14. Suki says:

Real purity has been working for me!