5 Natural Face Masks for Acne
My skin is sensitive AND blemish-prone—it seems no matter what I do, how clean I eat and how careful I am about my skincare regime, as soon as I think I have it all figured out, a new thing starts to irritate my face and I’ve got new blemishes to try and treat. Things have been ridiculously better and my breakouts are further and fewer between now that I’ve discovered a beeswax allergy and a lavender sensitivity, but when I do see an angry red zit rearing its inflamed head, I feel like I have to do something other than pick it.
Thankfully, green beauty comes to the rescue and I reach for one of these five masks ASAP. The best part is that they can be used as overall treatments or just on spots to target inflammation and smother bacteria.
- Lewin & Reilly’s Zeolite & Elderflower Purity Face Mask: The description of this mask literally says you’d reach for this product if “you have sensitive skin and are seeking a gentle, natural exfoliator.” And that’s exactly what I’m looking for—gentle skin-cell turnover and some inflammation-fighters. This hand-crafted, Australian, 99 percent certified organic, wild-harvested and bio-dynamic mask detoxes with superfine, mineral zeolite, while elderflower soothes with antioxidants and vitamins. Add in the acne-fighting, inflammation-reducing power of turmeric and tamanu oil and this mud-like mask packs a serious punch against blemishes.
- Cecilia Wong Skincare Blemish Peel Mask: Since this one has “blemish” in its name, you expect it to be good for spots and it totally lives up to its name. It’s a beautiful, bright green color that looks like spearmint gum because, well, spearmint is a main ingredient. It oxygenates skin and pulls out impurities, while pomegranate and hyaluronic acid nourish. This is actually a peel, so it’s best used at night, and you might experience tingling while it’s on and slight redness once you rinse it off. I love that you can feel it working and that it has a balance of gentle exfoliators and plant-based oils to clear and hydrate skin simultaneously.
- True Botanicals Pacific Exfoliating Moisture Mask: One of my all-time favorites, this delicious mask is a go-to for me when I want brighter, more even-toned, smooth skin in a hot minute. Lactic acid stimulates production of natural ceramides and hyaluronic acid to prevent moisture loss, while removing dead skin cells and clearing out pores without being irritating. I can use this in the morning and not have to worry about redness before I apply my makeup. Plus, it smells sooooo good, light and refreshing, like a fresh bouquet of spring herbs and light florals (thanks to tuberose, star jasmine and neroli essential oils, which is like my ideal scent combo).
- Leahlani Skincare Meli Glow Illuminating Nectar Mask: Ok, so this is the only one on the list that isn’t targeted towards blemish-prone skin, BUT I find myself reaching for this at least once a week to give my skin a boost. The first ingredient is organic, raw Hawaiian honey, so it really IS blemish-busting (especially combined with fruit acids and organic rose clay), but it also works at the molecular level to increase blood circulation and oxygenation, producing a rosy glow. After this mask is one of the only times I look at my bare face and think, “Ok. I’m happy with this.” #miracleworker
- MOSS Sacred Ground Mineral Clearing Mask: I’ve saved the best for last (and by “best,” I mean the one that is consistently the most effective for spot treating my blemishes). This entire skincare line is painstakingly researched and formulated for acne-prone skin, so if you haven’t tried it and you’re struggling, I suggest checking it out. And maybe start with this mask as one of your first purchases. It nearly eliminates even my most angry blemishes overnight when I spot treat. Sulfur and zinc oxide are the two most prominent, bacteria-busting ingredients (so it smells a little strong, FYI to those with sensitive noses), but cacao and turmeric powder, along with MSM and neem leaf powder help to suck out infection and inflammation like whoa. Aloe powder helps blemishes from drying out so much that skin flakes, and I’ve had this mask drastically reduce the size of even cystic spots in less than eight hours. Mix it with a hydrosol, honey, aloe or oil for extra punch.
Any masks I’m missing? What do you use to treat pesky blemishes?