Help! A Reader Needs Wedding Makeup Advice!

kate moss

Wedding season is around the corner. We know because we just got our first 2016 request for help on the topic from one of our readers, Caroline. Here’s what she says…

I have been reading your blog for years and have valued and benefited from its advice and input! I am getting married soon and am looking for recommendations about longer lasting natural makeup—especially for primers, concealers, and eye shadows—that will also photography nicely. Do you have any suggestions? – Caroline

You might recall what Nicolle wore for her wedding day—classic—but there have been so many new product releases since then, so we want to hear from you!

Give us your thoughts and suggestions for the best clean makeup for Caroline’s wedding day. What would you use?

Comments
13 Responses to “Help! A Reader Needs Wedding Makeup Advice!”
  1. Sarah M says:

I have used Hynt Perfecting concealer before and that shiz does not budge. Bonus points for being able to order a sample set of the shade group you likely fall in (http://www.hyntbeauty.com/duet-perfecting-concealer-p/dc0102s.htm). I have a sample I purchased from Clementine Fields that I have barely made a dent in.
    I would imagine their powders are equally as good, but they are expensive, so you might want to see if you can find somewhere that does samples.
    If you live in Canada, or are willing to pay for international shipping fees, Clementine Fields has an amazing sample program, meaning you can try basically any makeup for about $1-4 a sample, and the samples last AGES.
    I’ve found Nudus to be a good lipstick, but you will likely need to reapply frequently.
    For eyes, you might want to consider either eyelash extensions (if there’s such a thing as natural eyelash extensions), or going with falsies and omitting mascara all together. Well applied false lashes don’t necessarily need mascara, so you won’t have to worry about whether or not your mascara is waterproof.

The only other thing I can suggest is to find a makeup artist in your city that specializes in natural makeup, and see what they use. It may even be worth going in for a trial to put their recommendations to the test (and who knows, they may end up being so good you’ll want to use them for your big day!). In general, if you plan on getting your makeup done professionally, it’s a good idea to cough up the dough for trial sessions. When my sister got married, we tried the place her wedding planner recommended, and she wound up looking like something straight out of an 80s glamour shot, and I looked like someone shot me in the face with a makeup gun. Thankfully, that was during the trial and we managed to find someone great for the actual day (although, to my dismay, they did not carry natural anything).

Best of luck and congrats!

2. Tianna says:

Primers: Jane Iredale (they have a mattifying or hydrating one!), Vapour Beauty (for glowy skin), or a good organic moisturizer works wonders. Jane Iredale just released a new hydrating cream specifically for makeup prep which I love. That might be something to use!
    Concealers: Studio78 Paris (coverage for dark circles), Vapour Beauty Illusionist (brightening), and a lot of people rave on the W3ll People Bio Correct Concealer, but I haven’t personally tried it!
    Eyeshadows: hands down, Alima Pure or Antonym Cosmetics last the longest. Jane Iredale are always very pretty

Others:
    Kjaer Weis Cream Foundation
    Kjaer Weis Cream Blush
    Tata Harper Cream Lip & Cheek
    Nudus Lipsticks
    Zuzu Luxe Liquid Eyeliner (best one I’ve found)
    Living Nature Eye Pencils (most pigmented black pencil liner that doesn’t irritate my sensitive eyes, specifically if you happen to cry, it won’t hurt!)

Hope these help!

You can find me at http://storybookapothecary.com

3. Kelly says:

I wish I had a suggestion for long lasting shadows, but I second the Hynt concealer! It’s the best undereye and spot concealer I’ve ever used, and I also use it as eyeshadow primer

4. Alyse says:

Vapour’s Soft Focus primer and foundation both are a great pick for pretty, glowing skin. Ilia’s lipstick crayons have some great staying power and the color “Dress You Up” is one of my favorites for a polished, natural lip with a hint of berry.

For eyeshadow, W3LL People’s elitist shadows are deeply pigmented and so you don’t need much (I find the less shadow I apply, the less I have to deal with creasing or fallout).

Definitely look into W3LL People’s Bio Brightening Powder to help set under-eye concealer. It’s got a subtle brightening effect that is pretty around the eyes and it’s got aloe in it to help prevent leaving you looking dry or cake-y.

I would also suggest finding a great aesthetician who used clean skincare products and booking an appointment with some lead time before the big day. She’ll be able to help you plan a routine to ensure great skin for the big day which means you can probably get away with less makeup!

5. Nicolle says:

I love this question! I get asked about this all the time, and have a few products I rely on:
    1. Hynt Concealer – I totally recommend this, as everyone else has. It’s incredible. EcoDiva Beauty sells it (no international shipping charge), as well as the rest of the line.

2. If you’re ok with beeswax, NU EVOLUTION’s Complete Coverage Foundation is amazing for coverage and staying put. I’d set it with a powder (W3LL PEOPLE’s Setting Powder or Hynt’s Encore Pressed Powder), but highly recommend that brand (you can get it at EcoDiva too).

3. Mascara – Australian brand Ere Perez has a natural, waterproof one that I love (in case you’re worried about tears of joy). Shipping is a bit of an annoyance, but it’s worth it. If you want falsies, try Battingon Lashes (all natural, vegan).

4. Eyeshadow – Prime your lids with the Hynt Concealer and then try the Lily Lolo Laid Bare Palette. It does have some shimmer to it (which can be an issue with photos), but it’s minimal, and I’ve had it photograph great. If you want totally matte color, Alima Pure has some great ones that will stay all day with the Hynt Concealer as a primer.

5. Blush/Bronzer – This is where you want to avoid shimmer or shine the most for photos. Both Alima Pure and Hynt have shimmer free blushes that are awesome, and powder is better for long-lasting color. You could set it with a stain first (you could even use a matte lipstick, then brush on the powder).

6. Lipstick – Natural beauty has come SUCH a long way in this department! There are stains and long-lasting lippies without toxic ingredients like no other time in history! Depending on the color you want, you might have to do a little searching. But a few of the darker Red Apple Lipstick colors leave a stain, as does Canadian brands Elate’s lipsticks. For a gloss, 100 Percent Pure just released Lip Caramels that are a stain + a gloss, and Juice Beauty’s new Liquid Lip is also supposed to be a stain + gloss. Red Apple Lipstick’s new lip liners are amazing and long-lasting too. Oh, also the lipgloss brand Armour – amazing staying power in a gloss. The MOST long-lasting I’ve used is vegan, but not totally clean: Aromi Beauty. They have a liquid lip that stays all day. And their lipsticks create an awesome stain.

7. Eyeliner: If you want a liquid, you gotta go with Zuzu Luxe’s – long-lasting and beautiful color. Pencil: The best is Antonym Cosmetics Waterproof liner, which JUST came out in brown (I need it!). The Alima Pure and Red Apple Lipstick ones are also awesome, just not labeled “waterproof.”

Hmmm… anything else? If you have more questions or I can help with more specific recs, email nomoredirtylooks@gmail.com and I’d love to help!

6. Nicole says:

@Nicolle Hynt Concealer as primer???? Brilliant!!! So trying this today! Also, what’s your favourite lip balm that doesn’t have beeswax? I’m finding that I’m also somewhat allergic/sensitive to it. Thanks!

7. Hazel says:

For primers I suggest Haut Cosmetics’ Purifying Primer (https://hautcosmetics.ca). Eyeshadows: Sappho Cosmetics (www.organicsbysappho.com). I also like Marie Veronique’s Tinted Moisturizer which has SPF built in.

8. sarah says:

@Nicolle: funny, I saw your comment about the Ere Perez mascara (which I’d never heard of before), then stumbled across a Canadian online store that carries it (along with a few other Australian brands). it’s http://thegreenjunglebeautyshop.com if you’re interested.

I also second the Hynt concealer. It’s the best!

9. Cynthia says:

Do facial the week before the wedding and your foundation will only ever look as good as the skin beneath it. Make sure you exfoliate so your face should look light and radiant. Did you try mask? Try a good quality face mask to make your skin look bright. – Garden of Eve

10. Caroline says:

Thank you all! This is super helpful, and I am really grateful.

@Nicolle, for the Hynt concealers, could you recommend a color match for RMS shade 22?

xo

11. Nicolle says:

Hey all!

@Nicole: My favorite beeswax-free lippies are Red Apply Lipstick, Axiology Beauty and Hynt Beauty. Great color and some of them create stains too. Email me at nicollemackinnon@gmail.com if you want specific color recs!

@Caroline: Hi! I was a 22 in the RMS uncoverup too, and I use the light in the Hynt concealer. I hope that helps!

@sarah: Thanks for finding that for us! I had no idea and Canada is a lot closer than Australia…

12. I work as a green bridal stylist in Germany. I know, wedding season is almost over and that brides cry for help has been heard. But i will still share what i use for my brides.

I love mineral make up. Foundation, blush, eyeshadow. I lasts all day and gives you that air brushed finish when you know how to use it. Brands like alima pure or andrea biedermann do great products. Dont worry about spf and flash. Most fotographers wont use direct flash because it will look gastly on everyone.

Liquid foundations that are great, natural looking and photograph great are the studio 78paris biphase foundation, and undgretel lieth foundation. The latter contains salvia extract with causes adstringation so that your skin looks more fresh and flawless.
    The zuii primer and studio 78 primer are great too and will make your skin look glowy and flawless.

The living nature concealer, the undgretel tunkal concealer and the studio 78 paris concealer are the best i have tried except for mineral concealers

I love to use mineral eyeshadows but they can be tricky to blend, but any high quality high pigmented eyeshadow will be great. For example the 100% pure shadows, undgretel eyeshadows studio 78 paris eyeshadows.

I find highlighter makes a bride. The loose eyeshadow by studio 78 paris in the lightes colour is a wonderful shimmering white that performs lovely as a highlighter. But any product that does not glitter but only shimmer will be great.

The undgretel lipsticks are equal to mac lipsticks, they last all day.

Rouge i find are always ok pigmented, even the cheaper ones.

Use waterproof mascara, even if it doesnt come in organic…use will need it. Try to find one with ok incis.

Try your makeup beforehand, but have fun with it and the products. And less is more!!