Help! A Reader Needs Coconut Oil Free Shampoo + Conditioner!

large

You know this as well as we do—coconut oil is ubiquitous in clean beauty. I mean, it’s one of the keystone ingredients of this movement, so when you have an intolerance to it—as our reader Kristen does—things get very, very tricky. Let’s hear Kirsten out and see if we can collectively give her some help. Here’s what she says…

“I have tried to make the move to clean beauty. But I’ve discovered I am intolerant to coconut—I can’t eat it or put it on my skin—and EVERYTHING contains coconut. Can you suggest shampoo and conditioner that don’t contain coconut? And just to make it harder, I’m looking for products available in Australia.”

Kirsten, we feel you! Coconut oil is everywhere, and if you’re sensitive to coconut-derived ingredients, like caprylic/capric triglycerides, this is going to be extra challenging. Here’s where we’d start: True Nature Botanicals Shampoo. This clean shampoo rocks in that high-end salon kinda way—you get gorgeous smelling, glossy tresses every time, but minus the harsh detergents and synthetic fragrance. It appears to be totally free of coconut oil, but the matching True Nature Botanicals Conditioner —though beautiful—is a no-go for the coconut-intolerant. Check out Nicolle’s review of this duo if you’re interested.

Do you have a shampoo + conditioner duo that is coconut oil free? Maybe a DIY? What should Kristen try?

Comments
10 Responses to “Help! A Reader Needs Coconut Oil Free Shampoo + Conditioner!”
  1. Hélène says:

Maybe you could try ayurvedic powders. I use a mix of shikakai, amla and sidr powders and it does the trick! They leave my hair perfectly washed, shiny and soft. I don’t use any conditioner, only a bit of argan oil on the lengths. Hope it helps!

2. NOLAStephanie says:

John Masters Organics Lavender Rosemary Shampoo for Normal Hair didn’t have it. But I don’t know if available in Australia. You can get on-line. I wish you the best of luck, take care…

3. Caitie says:

What a tough ingredient to avoid! I haven’t used them personally, but I believe some of the Andalou Naturals shampoos/conditioners are coconut free.

4. Clare says:

Definitely check out greenorganics.com.au. It’s Australian and they have a lot of hair products, including John Masters Organics. I think they have two stores in NSW as well, though I don’t know if they’d stock everything that’s on the website. Good luck! :)

5. Jaime says:

Wonderseed is really nice. Find it on Amazon.

6. Bridget says:

iherb.com sells a great variety of natural and organic items (not just skincare/hair care/cosmetics) and can ship to Australia for free if the order equals $57.40 AUD or greater.

7. Marcella says:

Sansceuticals has a nice shampoo and conditioner.

8. Revi says:

Try Renovobeauty.com – a lot of their products do have coconut oil but they offer to CUSTOM MAKE individual orders with exclusions if you ask.

9. Kirsten says:

Thanks so much for the great tips!! Yep, a really difficult ingredient to avoid, but worth avoiding for me. Thanks for the coconut allergy page too.