5 Things To Love About Rose Geranium Oil

Marilyn Monroe

Rose geranium oil is one of the most pleasing and useful essential oils on record—according to moi—but I think you’ll agree when you experience it, too. It has a cooling and uplifting scent that typically evokes a rosy, slightly citrus vibe, often with a faint mint undertone. It’s sweet, floral and a little herbaceous. Rose geranium has a truly feminine scent—rumor has it that Marilyn Monroe was a fan—and it has properties that make it specifically helpful for women. There are many varieties of geranium oil, but rose geranium the most floral and feminine. Even though it does wonders for a perfume blend, once you figure out how useful the oil is, you’ll keep it around for much more than the gorgeous scent.

Here are 5 things to know and love about rose geranium oil…

1. Rose geranium is a skincare must have. The oil is anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and detoxifying, and it balances all skin types. It doesn’t matter if your skin is dry or oily, rose geranium balances the skin’s production of sebum according your needs. It’s regenerative at the cellular level, so it’s useful for aging skin and helps give a radiant glow.
  2. Rose geranium has an affinity for the female reproductive system and hormone regulation. Women are particularly drawn to rose geranium, and it may be more than the sweet floral scent that grabs our attention. When inhaled or used in massage applications, it’s effective at addressing premenstrual symptoms like abdominal cramps or sore breasts and menopausal symptoms like hormonal imbalances.
  3. Rose geranium balances emotions and relieves anxiety. We talk about the stress relieving power of essential oils frequently, and rose geranium ranks up there with the best of the best for easing tension, anxiety and irritability. Rose geranium’s ester content gives it a soothing effect like lavender, so it makes for an excellent nerve tonic.
  4. Rose geranium is remarkably effective against Candida albicans and other fungi. It has the ability to act against yeasts without affecting bacterial flora, and if used at the first sign of a yeast infection it will totally knock it out. Just make sure it is well diluted before applying to sensitive skin, even though geranium oil is considered non-sensitizing and non-irritating.
  5. Rose geranium oil also stimulates the lymphatic system and acts as a diuretic to help correct and balance the elimination of water and waste in our bodies. Its detoxifying effect helps keep your immune system in tiptop shape.

Do you like the smell of rose geranium oil? Have you benefited from its use in any way? Tell us!

Comments
30 Responses to “5 Things To Love About Rose Geranium Oil”
  1. therese says:

I’m intrigued. I will have to order a bottle and try it out. Happy Friday!

2. Lisa says:

Sounds enticing! How do you use it?

3. Lorna says:

I’m a big fan of rose geranium. Love Evanhealy’s Rose Getanium hydrosol, Meow Meow Tweet Frankincense and Flowers body oil and John Masters has a new body wash and lotion featuring it too.

4. Carol says:

Susannah this was really interesting. I knew it was an ingredient in my beloved little roller ball Tata Harper Replenishing Nutrient Complex but I didn’t realize all the helpful aspects of Rose Geranium. I’m going to enjoy massaging it into my skin even more now, understanding all the benefits. Thank you!

5. Tranquil says:

I love the scent of rose geranium and use it in my own facial oil. For my skin that is combination, prone to congestion and blemishes I do a light moisturizer that is a base of rosehip seed oil with a little rose geranium, lavender, tea tree, eucalyptus, and helichrysm it keeps my skin clear, calm, and balanced. This combo smells so amazing I also use it in my homemade deodorant. Recently a friend introduced me to the combo of rose geranium and sandalwood which I loved. Be sure to get sustainably harvested sandalwood from Australia.

6. Annette says:

I love the scent of rose geranium oil. How about a follow-up with some links to specific ways to use it as you mention?

7. Steph says:

Love Evan Healy’s RG and sandalwood hydrosols, separately and combined!

8. Carol says:

Follow-up question for you, Susannah.

Are Rose Geranium Essential Oil and Geranium Essential Oil two different things? Or the same thing?

I noticed that my Tata Harper Replenishing Nutrient Complex specifically lists “rose geranium” but when I checked the John Masters Organics new Geranium & Grapefruit Body Milk & Shower Gel, it simply lists “geranium essential oil.” I love everything John Masters, so I don’t mind enjoying the new creations but I was curious to know if they would specifically help with the qualities you mentioned above like balancing hormones, easing PMS stress and alleviating anxiety and nerves if these products are applied to my skin but don’t say rose geranium? I’d like to start using rose geranium products on a regular basis now after reading your list of it’s benefits! Thanks so much for any insight…

9. Naomi says:

Well now it’s on my list!

10. Hélène says:

Rose geranium is indeed a must have. It is also recommended to tighten pores. I have an ageing, sensitive, dehydrated, acne prone skin (yeah me!), and I use it in a DIY serum with argan, jojoba and hemp seed oils. It does wonders!

You can mix it with lemon eucalyptus to repulse mosquitos, too.

11. Naomi says:

I didn’t realize it had so many benefits!

I use rose geranium in my own facial oil. It’s a base of jojoba oil, argan oil, and pomegranate seed oil, with a few drops of rose geranium in it. I also put a few drops in my bottle of ACV/rose hydrosol toner, along with a drop or two of tea tree oil. Very relaxing and a wonderful way to start and end the day.

12. Genya says:

I usually find that products with just geranium oil work so well for my acne-prone skin. But now I am intrigued by rose geranium oil as I’ve never come across it before…I need to check it out, sounds like something I might like!

13. Thanks for the comments everyone! Love that many of you already adore rose geranium.

@Lisa there are many ways to incorporate rose geranium into your routine. It just depends on your preferences and the purpose you’re using it for. Making a DIY toner is a great way to get the aromatherapeutic benefits while also giving a boost to your skin. You can start by adding 8 drops of the EO to pure spring water and spritzing your face. Shake well before each use because EOs separate from water. I love to add rose geranium to rose water instead of plain water. A DIY face oil or body oil is also a great way to get it into rotation. For a very basic start, try adding 8 to 10 drops of rose geranium essential oil to 1 ounce of jojoba (or another oil of your choice). Shake well to blend and apply to your face or massage onto stomach and pelvic area if trying to alleviate PMS symptoms. Inhalation also helps with the anxiety and hormonal stuff, so even putting a drop between your palms and inhaling deeply for ten breaths will help get essential oil into your system. @tranquil @helene and @naomi also have great DIY ideas mentioned here.

@Annette hopefully the above helps get you started! I don’t have any direct links to share. I mostly rely on my library of books on the topic as they are way more thorough and trustworthy than many online sources. If there is something specific you’re interested in making I can probably steer you in the right direction.

@Carol they are two different oils—same genus different species—but you will absolutely benefit from geranium (Pelargonium x asperum) in the same way as rose geranium (Pelargonium roseum). I just happen to prefer the more floral scent of the rose geranium. :)

For anyone curious to learn more about essential oils, Julia Lawless has a great illustrated encyclopedia of EOs that you can find on Amazon.

14. Carol says:

Thank you Susannah!

15. Carol says:

I just made a delightful discovery that rose geranium is an ingredient in my favorite Lotus Wei Infinite Love! It is in the perfume & mist and serum

16. Annette says:

Susannah~thank you! Everyone’s comments and tips are indeed enough to get me going on my way to using this new find most effectively. Thanks again for the great post.

17. Kahina Team says:

Thanks for spreading the word about rose geranium! It’s a key ingredient in Kahina’s ESSAOUIRA Body Serum, making it perfect for those looking to use rose geranium for body benefits like for lymph support, hormone support, and mood boosting.

18. Jenny says:

Sounds like something I need to try, though I’m really picky about rose scents. Any recommendations for where to get it? Mountain Rose is usually my go-to, but it seems they only carry geranium oil (Pelargonium graveolens).

19. Jenny says:

Oops, one more question: what about Pelargonium capitatum x radens, same deal?

20. Jodi says:

If I were going to incorporate this oil into the homemade ACV and rose water toner mentioned on this site, how much of this EO should I add?

21. @Jodi that would be a great combo! It depends on what size bottle/volume you’re working with, but start with 8-10 drops per ounce of liquid. So for example, if you’re mixing up 1/2 an ounce of rose water and ACV add 4-5 drops EO and if you’re mixing up 2 ounces of rose water and ACV add 16-20 drops EO. Shake well before each use to redistribute the EO since it isn’t water soluble. Have fun!

22. Danielle says:

I adore rose geranium. You’ll find it in several products I feature, including Miessence Monsoon Hydrating Mist. It’s made with organic rose petals and is super refreshing. I love keeping it in my bag and spritzing when I’m flying or on a long car ride where air can be drying. The 1 oz bottle is perfect for travel!

23. Sue Apito says:

Rose Geranium (aka Geranium) essential oil should be identified by it’s proper latin name – Pelargonium graveolens. If that is listed, then it really does not matter if the ingredient is referred to as geranium or rose geranium. As with all essential oils, it should be properly diluted before it is applied topically – it is unfortunate the article did not mention that! I use it properly diluted with grain alcohol and water, and spray it on my clothes before gardening in order to repel deer ticks! I also use products which contain it for the amazing skincare benefits. I also only purchase CERTIFIED ORGANIC Pelargonium graveolens essential oil!

24. Tiffany says:

Can you list some products that have Rose Geranium oil in them?

25. We call it nature’s plumper and parched skin quencher, but you’ll call it true love! A face oil medley of rose oils, including Rosehip, Rose Bulgar and Rose Geranium, marry together to restore radiance to dry, dull or damaged skin. This organic blend also diminishes dark circles and puffiness making it the perfect anytime pick-me-up—or use as an overnight treatment for deeper hydration. It’s lightweight with a bright but subtle rose and citrus scent.

26. Linda says:

Just beware…like all ingredients, geranium can cause reactions. I’m allergic to it unfortunately. A lot of great companies use the ingredient in their products and I have to read labels and be careful. My skin reacts very badly to a few days use of anything with geranium in it. As with all things, just because it is natural, everyone needs to gauge her own reactions to it. Thanks for the insightful info…I can see why geranium is so widely used…wish I didn’t have allergies.

27. Mike Buckman says:

I think rose geranium is one of the most versatile essential oils for skin care, right up there with lavender.

28. Kenna says:

My mother is currently going through menopause. I gave her a rose geranium mist of 100% pure rose geranium floral water to spray during hot flashes. It has helped her immensely to keep cool in some HOT situations.

I use rose geranium floral water in my creams because it helps balance sebum production in dry and oily skin types.

29. Rhiannon says:

I’ve used the Liz earl clay mask that contain Rose Geranium and it smells lush and works a treat.

30. Valerie says:

I have been using a drop or two of rose geranium oil and a few drops of jojoba oil on a cotton ball morning and night on my face. Being 30 yrs old with acne isn’t fun, and this routine has really seemed to help my skin look more radiant and less full of acne scars and breakouts. Very pleased at the results!