What’s In My Makeup Bag: Siobhan’s Makeup Monday

Welcome to our new Monday series! To kick things off, I’m going to empty out my filthy, lipstick- and eye-pencil-stained makeup bag and give you all a peek at the contents (not shown: how sick the actual inside of my bag looks).

Let’s get housekeeping out of the way first: Every week someone new will share what they’re using every day. We’re going to solicit submissions from our favorite green girls, makeup artists, founders of lines we love, and, as always, we want yours, too. If you want to share, send us a note at nomoredirtylooks at gmail dot com with the subject line MAKEUP MONDAYS. Please follow the format below.

Name: Siobhan O’Connor
Age: 34
Where I live: New York
My relationship with makeup: Reformed. Before we wrote the book I hated makeup and barely wore it. It made me feel insecure to even try to line my eyes or find a red that worked on me. These days, it’s functional meets playful. I need to look put-together every day for work. My job doesn’t require makeup, obviously—but it helps. Since I work in magazines, though, I can experiment with really loud lips and dramatic eyes if I feel like it. I can also wear nothing at all if I want to (I don’t, usually).

Here’s what’s in my makeup bag:

Tinted moisturizer: All summer I used Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Repair Tinted CC Cream as my base on top of Suntegrity SPF. It’s a tinted moisturizer and I adore it, but with fall upon us, I reupped on Suki Tinted Active Moisturizer, which has a little more pigment and is more hydrating—perfect for a fall pallor. So that’s in the bag.

Powder: I use it sparingly. I still use Laura Mercier loose minerals in Warm Sand. I use this as a concealer, weirdly enough, on spots or discoloration—but never under my eyes, since powder is dry-looking and can be aging. If I need something to set my tinted foundation, I use RMS’s UnPowder, which gives a matte even look, and is colorless.

Concealer: Under my eyes it’s still RMS “Un” Cover-up, but since I don’t put this  anywhere else on my face (the coconut oil breaks me out), I also use Studio 78‘s little pot of concealer as needed.

Brows: I used to be obsessed with a tinted brow gel from Bobbi Brown. These days, I use Nvey Eco eye shadow Palette 3 to fill in my brows with a firm angled brush. My eyebrows sort of disappear into my face, so once I learned how nice it can look with a more-present eyebrow, I started doing this every day. I combine a few of the colors in the palette, and I use them sparingly.

Eyeliner: I still cheat a lot here with Nars or Maybelline on days when I have big meetings or TV, but for everyday I use Josie Maran’s eyeshadow in Smoke as a liner, or W3LL People‘s eye pencil in Black.

Eyeshadow: This is not an everyday thing for me, but I love W3LL People loose eye shadows as well as RMS shadow in Solar or Karma (or both). Solar really makes my blue eyes pop. The latter lasts less long than the powder formula, but it looks so much prettier than anything else in my bag. Sometimes I use MAC, too, for special occasions.

Mascara: I already outed myself as a mascara cheater, but right now I’ve been using Jane Iredale Longest Lash Thickening Mascara in Black and I like it a lot. Sometimes I layer my Bobbi on top of it.

Nail polish remover: I keep Priti NYC soy polish removers in my bag for on-the-go polish removal. It’s the best one I’ve tried and it works on even the nastiest polishes.

Luminizer: RMS Living Luminizer, obvs.

Lip/cheek: I am obsessed with the new Jane Iredale Pure Moist lipstick in Margi. I found my perfect red. I thought I’d found it before but no chance—this is it. It wears like a stain and lasts hours. I also love RMS in Sacred (amazing) and Smile (sweet), and Vapour in Torch (pow!). Ilia‘s Shell Shock is still my all-day, every-day. I use lipsticks on my face and blushes on my lips.

Etc: Since beauty comes from the inside too (aww),  I always have Tata Harper Anti-Irritability on me, as well as Lotus Wei perfume in Infinite Love and Hope Gillerman Stress Remedy.

Any of my favorites also your favorites? Check back for another one next week!

Comments
35 Responses to “What’s In My Makeup Bag: Siobhan’s Makeup Monday”
  1. Pauline says:

I don’t know if I should be happy or sad that sometimes you “cheat” with regular makeup. I also usually mostly natural, but sometimes buy the bad stuff.

2. Anna says:

Awesome post! A thousand times better than a meatless Monday. So many products to drool over. I’ve been eyeing the Jane iredale new lipsticks.

3. Sydney says:

Love this <3

I really want to try those RMS shadows but I think I'm going to need a primer for creasing. Anybody know of a good clean eye primer?

4. Siobhan says:

@Sydney Amala has a new primer (lotus something or other) that I tried a few times and loved!

5. Love your picks Siobhan! I plan on trying some Studio78 products, I noticed you ladies at NMDL like them a lot! Also, have you tried Jane Iredale’s PureBrow brow gel in the shade blonde? I like it a lot, and I think that the shade blonde is a good match for most people.

Makeup Bag posts, are always my favorites! x

6. mangomadness says:

I LOVe this new series!

7. Naomi says:

Awesome new feature – love it!!! I have been pretty unsettled with my make up recently and have cleared out some unclean stuff that I have hardly touched in ages, but now have VERY little left in my arsenal… I prefer to wear pretty subtle and simply make up on a daily basis but like a few things to switch it up occasionally, especially if I’m heading out for a date or something a little more special than, well, just work.

I also appreciate your honesty in including the not-so-clean stuff you are still using. Sometimes I find this community a little intimidating (as well as inspiring, I swear!) with how hardcore and dedicated some of you are to being completely clean. It just reminds me that we are all trying and struggling with letting go of old favourites isn’t just my own weakness or laziness. :)

Something I’d love to hear from the NMDL team is some sort of declaration (for lack of a better word) of what you would purchase with your own money. I know you are very lucky to be provided some / a lot (not sure) of products to sample and I am grateful that you guys are such willing testers for the rest of us, but it would really interest me to hear a final “yes, I would buy this myself” statement in your reviews. Of course we are all on different budgets and what you are willing to spend on an item may not be the same as I or someone else would be willing to spend (and vice versa – I pay a ridiculous price for my foundation but it is super important for me and I’ve had unbelievable difficulty finding the right one for me – the rest of my make up collection is a lot less luxe), but I think it is a sign of two thumbs up for you are willing to part with your own hard earned cash for a product.

Anyway, just my two cents’ worth. Oh, and thanks for the tip on Solar – also love to emphasise the blue of my eyes so I will have to pull this one out of storage and play with it again!

8. Jette says:

Great new series – but I like the Meatless Monday posts, too!

9. Rebecca Bailey says:

<3<3<3 Siobhan! I love Karma and Solar too. A teeny bit of Solar on lips looks amazing.

@Naomi, speaking just for myself, most of what I've reviewed on NMDL I have purchased with my own money. All of what I review is something I WOULD purchase with my own money. I have made those "honorable mention" lists that are close though maybe not quite the thing for my skin type, but I think are worthwhile for other people.

10. Jessica says:

thanks for sharing!! i absolutely love the juice beauty and suki tinted moisturizers too :)

11. Siobhan says:

Good question @Naomi. Let’s be clear:

I only review things I have bought myself or will buy again when my (free) media sample runs out. Some companies send us things for free, obviously, but some can’t afford to or have a policy not to. That does not inform what we review.

From this post, I think every single product except the Jane lipstick (which I plan to re-buy when I run out) and the Juice (which I have already re-bought) were things I bought first before trying for free. Oh, and the MAC, which I was given from the beauty department at my job.

12. Courtney says:

Ooh this is going to be fun! Perhaps not for my wallet though…

Siobhan, Could you describe the Jane Iredale Margi? I’m desperately trying to find my perfect, clean, neutral red lipstick. Everything turns pink on me or contains a high amount of castor oil (which parches my lips).

13. Sydney says:

@Siobhan I didn’t see a product on the Amala website that was specifically a primer, are you talking about the purifying mattifier?

14. Siobhan says:

Sydney: ya! That’s the one

15. Siobhan says:

Hey Courtney — I don’t know what you look like but if you’re colored anything like me I can relate. Everything turns pink on me too, even red nail polish. This doesn’t! It’s so red. I’m thinking there are subtle blueish undertones because it isn’t orange on me either. I can send you a pic if you email is to our address.

16. Emma B says:

I just wanted to second the recommendation for Jane Iredale’s eyebrow gel in blond; it’s awesome!

17. Carol says:

LOVE this new idea for Mondays! I also adore & use daily the Tata Harper Irritability and the Lotus Wei Infinite Love perfume (and her mist as well). I like how Lotus Wei recommends misting it on your heart as well as wrists!

I also use & love the RMS Un-Coverup as well!

The Jane Iredale brow gel/clear mascara is great for brows if anyone is looking for brow grooming :)

18. Steff says:

Oh I like this! I love the morning routines but enjoy finding out the specifics of what people have in their makeup bags. Mine has changed so much since moving into clean products.
    Interesting thought about the coconut oil in the RMS Uncover Up- I thought a while ago that perhaps that was prolonging my breakouts or causing recurring ones so it’s making me rethink it again! I do sometimes mix it with an older MAC concealer when I have really bad spots.
    @Siobhan: Suggestions for another concealer? Someone else mentioned Studio 78 being talked about a lot on here, I see that’s what you said you use, any other great ones up there with those two??

19. Sarah says:

Hi Siobhan, it is very helpful for me. Thank you for this post. I also used Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Repair Tinted CC Cream.

20. Sabah says:

Love the new feature and the contents of your bag xx

21. Leigh says:

Great new feature! Love learning about new products within the clean and green community ~ many thanks!

22. Ally says:

I really love Meatless Mondays, but this is so fun, too!

Siobhan, RMS uncover-up break’s you out, but you’ve never had any problem with JB’s CC Cream? Whenever I’ve used straight coconut oil on my face or RMS I break out so I’ve been doubtful about purchasing the CC Cream since it has coconut oil, too. I wonder if it’s a small amount so it’s not a problem? Also, it’s interesting that you can use the Living Luminizer, but not the uncover-up. Perhaps because it’s layered over your base/use less often?

23. Sara says:

I expected to see all ‘clean’ products as the name is no more dirty looks. There are so many accessible safe products now, the only one I am struggling to find is a true long lasting black eyeliner. I love Christopher Drummond beauty for their concealer which can also be used as a foundation, also their loose powder foundation and compact powder are great, as well as their primer. I like Red Apple lipstick for their red lipstick and also several eyeshadows. I have just purchased some Ilia lipsticks which I’m yet to try, and I hear their mascara is supposed to be good. Honor Des Pres perfume in Vamp A NY is lovely. I love all Tata Harper skincare products, and May Lindstrom make a lovely cleanser, mask and serum. Interesting to see what others use.e

24. Siobhan says:

Hey Ally — It must be less, yeah. I only use the luminizer on my cheekbones and eyelids, neither of which are places where I get spots. The CC has definitely never broken me out — opposite, if anything. But everyone’s skin is different. You probably know this but if you look at an ingredient list the ingredients listed in the order of concentration by volume. So the UnCoverUp has it as the first ingredient: http://www.rmsbeauty.com/shop/product8.html and the CC has it a bit of the way down: http://www.juicebeauty.com/store/stem-cellular-cc-cream.html

That might be why.

25. kimberlyloc says:

This new series blows meatless Mondays out of the water (sorry, but I always skipped over those posts). To a few of the commenters above, I find it relieving that even the NMDL gals still have a few dirty products in their arsenals. We’re not perfect, and we all know how hard it can be to find the right replacements for our former beloved products! I’m excited to read more, especially from the community.

26. Henriette says:

@Siobhan – Thanks for the honesty about the dirty products you still use. I see it as sign that you are as unwilling to compromise when it comes to product performance as many of us readers. Even though I wholeheartedly believe that green makeup and skincare is the way to go if you care about your body and the planet, to me it doesn’t make much sense to be the cleanest girl on the block if it equals panda eyes just because you passed a drop of rain, or chipped nails within one hour of applying nail polish. When girls like you, who has access to try out the best green products out there, is still sticking to a few dirty products, it just shows that the green beauty industry still has a long way to go in some areas. I hope that you will keep us all updated when you find worthy clean substitutes for the few dirty products you still use. But I also think that giving a little thought to proportions is in order – like for instance, it takes many, MANY uses of a dirty mascara to put as many nasties in you body as just one application of a dirty body lotion. So if you aren’t 100% a clean girl, I think 95% is still pretty damn good.

27. Rebecca Bailey says:

@Henriette, that is an excellent point about mascara vs. body lotion.

28. Julia says:

Can you please have makeup artists Rose-Marie Swift and Jessa Blades submit for this series?

29. Brittany says:

I am completely obsessed with RMS beauty! Just started using it recently and already love the luminizer and the eyeshadows.

30. Naomi says:

@Rebecca and @Siobhan – thanks for clarifying!

31. Stine says:

Love Love this new series:) Ill send inn whats in my makeup bag too :)

32. Siobhan says:

@Henriette Thanks girl!

33. MK says:

I love your honesty! Great post!

34. This is great! In fact Siobhan I think our makeup bags are virtually identical. No joke! Glad to see you are doing a bit of this and a bit of that. Keeps the conversation honest and real. xo