What Do You Do To Glow?

I have a problem.

My skin’s in a funk. It doesn’t look exactly bad. I’m not broken out, and there’s no one problem area that I can point to. It just doesn’t have a glow going. It looks like tired skin, not happy skin.

Unfortunately, I think this is a tired-on-the-inside kind of problem, because for the most part I follow my own advice: I get plenty of sleep, and I eat well and I’ve been really regular about exercise and back on the yoga train for real. I work like a dog, of course, but on the weekend I always try to take one day where I completely chill and often get a massage.

But what I’m realizing is that when you’re tired on the inside—in that way where you just need a real vacation and to forget about work and Syria for a while—one weekend of pampering isn’t gonna cut it on its own. At least not for me. So, either I need a way to fake it, or a recommendation so awesome and effective that it knocks my skin out of its funk.

So, let’s hear it. What works for you? Do you drink green juice all day? Do you meditate on joy? Is it luminizer, or is it lasers? What’s your secret weapon when you want to get your glow on?

I will say that May Lindstrom’s The Clean Dirt was doing it for me. So I’m going to re-up on that stat. The great news for this girl is that I only need to solve this problem for a month because…

Come mid-October, my retreat from the world is coming in a big way! I am off to do a yoga teacher training, a longtime dream that I’m finally realizing. Now, I’m kind of banking on that giving me my natural glow back. But a girl has to live in the now, right? Help!

Comments
48 Responses to “What Do You Do To Glow?”
  1. Melanie says:

This is not good! I hope it turns around soon.

This does happen to me. More sleep and water goes without saying, but I also get meticulous with the skin care — cleanse, Vit C Serum and moisturizer in a.m.; cleanse with hot face cloth, then apply rosehip seed oïl in the p.m. I make sure to do a mask once a week. And (this is silly) I smile as much as I can and pretend that I have had Botox for my elevensies. I am a chronic frowner and it can bring everything down if I have been at it for a while. I find that the change in thought helps enormously (Dr Dyer’s “when you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change” quote becomes my mantra).

Best of luck!

2. Eve says:

I love this post. I have been feeling the same way, and this post gave me a moment to reflect and think about how to move in a more positive direction. I am looking forward to seeing what other people post about!

One thing I can say is that when I look back on the times that I was happiest with my skin, I was engaging activities that were new and challenging for me but that were fun and exciting in a way that spoke to my soul. I was working like a dog both of those times, probably not sleeping as much as I would like, but my skin (with the help of my fav. Evan Healy and occasional honey masks) was inexplicably luminous.

So I guess I don’t have an immediate solution – this post was more for me than anyone else :P

But on a topical note – honey masks always promote a little extra glow too!

3. Mercedes says:

I’m sort of feeling this way right now too, and I think – at least for me – it has something to do with the impending season change. Fall is my favorite season, but the summer to fall transition is the hardest on my body out of anything during the year. It takes well into October to acclimate to the “hunkered down” feeling, and if we think about systems of medicine and healing like ayurveda (which I know you are well in tune with) and Chinese medicine, I know they have many suggestions for how to ease these transitions get our glows back on :)

For me, I’m going to splurge on some Yuli and In fiore products, and focus on eating really warming, nourishing foods – soups, broths/stocks, herbal teas…hope it helps!

4. Helen says:

a thick layer of Andalou Naturals’ cocoa body butter all over my face.. I know it’s a “body” butter but it works SO well for my face!!! and my break-out prone skin has never broken out from it. My all-purpose HG cream. You should try it Alexandra, especially if you like a balmy, moisturizing texture that you mentioned in a previous post.

5. danielle says:

Once a year I go to the dermatologist office for the V-Beam laser treatment which removes any broken blood vessels but does help give skin a revived look. I also love Dr. Hauschka rejuvenating mask; I use that once every couple of weeks (it is pricey) and daily I love Pure Synergy superfood, it is the first thing I drink every am.

6. Jocelyn says:

I love a hot detox bath! Usually with salts, baking soda, some ginger and essential oils that suit my fancy. When I’m done, I spritz rose water all over my face, neck and chest. If I do this a couple of times a week, I get a glow that lasts quite a while :)

7. Rebecca Bailey says:

Lots of fruits and vegetables, juiced or not, but raw or barely cooked. That, or anything that clears out the digestive system helps me glow. Cloggy intestines leads to icky skin for me. Some light exfoliation helps, with Konjac, muslin cloth, May L’s dirt or problem solver. I like to mix May’s stuff and put over a layer of honey to sit as a treatment, then rub ever so gently in a lukewarm shower. Topically, a great oil and hydrosol. Use an oil with some sea buckthorn if you need to fake a little glow!

8. Rebecca Bailey says:

and also, drink lots of kombucha and/or eat fermented foods. If you aren’t used to this there may be a gassy adjustment period, but worth it! A happy digestive system = happy skin

9. Anne says:

More than anything, sufficient sleep is the trick to make my skin look its best, and it generally also puts me in a good mood, which inevitably perks up my face :) A pink-ish blush can work wonders as well!

10. Catherine says:

Load up on healthy fats inside and out. I eat lots of avocado’s and am addicted to Pacific Face Oil with Chia seed oil, http://www.mvorganics.com/products/pacific-face-oil

11. Definitely the green smoothies (spinach). If I haven’t had one in a few days, I notice a renewed glow within 24 hours of drinking a big one, so I try not to skip because the results are incredible. Evening primrose oil supplements treat from the inside out. Topically, natural sources of vitamin A and C make a huge difference (sea buckthorn berry oil is my go-to). And yes, The Clean Dirt is now in daily rotation every morning and this makes for some serious glow. Can’t live without it.

12. Gloria says:

My Clarisonic Mia does the trick for me (every morning in the shower). Keeps my skin clear and glowing. Oh and drinking lots of water.

13. Pepper says:

Oh my, this popped up at an excellent time – I’m having similar drabness over here! My skin looks pretty lackluster but I also just feel kind of ragged & sluggish. And I’m as crackly and achy as someone twice my age. Funkiest of funks! I’ve been drinking a ton of water today, and when I get home I think I’m going to do a facial steam & a manuka mask, maybe with a little Clean Dirt.

I know that I’m not sleeping enough and that I need to be eating better (plus a wedding over the weekend and all the champagne that went with it might be to blame!) I need a nap and green smoothie! As far as makeup that helps though, my RMS Living Luminizer and Dr. Hauschka’s Translucent Bronze Concentrate all over my face are making me look like a human these days.

14. Alasdair says:

I think where “glow” is concerned, the absolute best option is oil oil oil oil oil. Oil cleanse, tone, apply an uber light facial oil, massage, spritz hydrosol, massage, apply a more dense oil once the light one has disappeared into the skin, massage. I do this at night whenever I’m looking a bit lacklustre; I like to layer two oils instead ofI using a night cream because, well, oils are the bomb, and the thicker ones can perform the same barrier function as a moisturizer while being more nutrient dense and glow enhancing. The facial massage is also an excellent way to get your skin’s micro circulation going to bring back that transient, intangible “I don’t know why, but you just look healthy” glow.

If you’re looking for solutions to fake it, I’ve got the recommend the Vapour Stratus instant skin perfector. A light layer of this stuff on top of whatever oil/serum/cream you prefer for daytime REALLY amplifies all the great things your skin has going while downplaying the nasties (uneven tone, fine lines, etc.). It also imparts a super natural “why yes, I have just come from a two hour hot yoga session” glow.

15. JJ says:

I drink a lot of vodka

16. Nicolle says:

A vacation. Just got back from my honeymoon and I have a serious glow. That plus the Juice Beauty CC Cream – I was tentatively using it before, once a week or so, but after 12 days of everyday use, I see a HUGE difference in my skin.

17. QuiteLight says:

I’m with Alasdair; oil cleanse (castor & avocado for my dry skin), a light almond oil “serum” layer, then 1-2 layers of oil-based creams, especially my From the Meadow The Secret cream.

1-2 times a week I’m doing a green clay mask. Doesn’t seem too drying, but will have to wait for winter to be sure. I hope not, it only came in 1 pound size!

18. Rebecca Bailey says:

@Nicolle, yay for CC! I also find it makes a big difference in my skin. I believe it will matter in the long run too, since I no longer waffle over putting sunscreen on my face or not – it’s just automatic now, all year round.

19. Caroline says:

Hot Yoga + detox baths as Jocelyn described

20. Emma B says:

Sleep is what does it for me. When I feel/look that way, I make a commitment to go to bed earlier. And I turn down social events for a weekend of complete rest and sleep. Fall is my favourite season; I love the idea of taking warm baths or drinking tea while snuggling in bed.

21. C says:

Time spent in the outdoors communing with nature and soaking up the Vitamin D

22. Kahina Team says:

Oh @JJ! hahaha We like our red wine over here, must say. I guess after a bottle you get some kind of glow?!

In all seriousness, we get it. The lack of glow thing. Yes to everyone’s suggestions above for eating the right fats, making sure you’re digesting well, raw foods, etc. Our *topical* solution is twofold: (1) we start with the Kahina Antioxidant Mask, because (gentle!) exfoliation exfoliation exfoliation and of course follow up with Kahina Serum with carrot seed oil, argan, sea buckthorn, etc. (2) during change of seasons, you (we) can’t beat a professional facial. We like them with oxygen or micro-current.

As for the emotional/inner aspect… time off, de-stressing daily, and delving into a new/ loved activity/passion will definitely do the trick! I hear yoga teacher training kicks your butt– good luck!– but it just might be the change that you need to refresh your mind and re-engage.

23. sarah angelique says:

I second the hot yoga! It makes my skin so dewy. Also, kombucha, facial massage with oils (I’m loving sweet almond right now), sleep, vitamind D/b12, and being happy/smiling more :)

24. therese says:

Hurray for the Yoga teacher training. I have 3 friends that just completed one in July. You will soak up so much information and feel wonderful when you are done.
    I too have been feeling a little glowless with the last few weeks of 100 degree weather. I am back to fruits and veggies to detox from the social drinking and heat.
    I have been using Juice Beauty’s CC cream too along with the sea buckthorne oil. I have to agree that the oils have been my savior. I need to replace my Konjac sponge to really bring back my glow.
    So excited for you on your October journey. You will be glowing after that.

25. Jamie says:

Re-evaluate your diet/supplementation. I really like some of the recommendations on http://www.bulletproofexec.com/ — they’ve done wonders for me!

I recently had some labwork done and was very surprised to discover that I had low levels of B and C vitamins despite my very healthy diet. Adjusting my supplementation to correct this has really improved my skin and my energy level.

I should mention that I did this with an integrative health doctor’s supervision, and highly recommend finding both qualified support and doing your homework before making any changes.

26. Helena says:

I agree – detox baths! I add a cup of acv to the bath once it’s filled. Somehow it makes me feel more conditioned & toned. And I drink an acv, lemon, honey, water tonic first thing in the a.m. I read somewhere that sleeping at night is like a mini-fast and what you put in your stomach 1st thing coming out of that ‘fast’ is important. Just think of if/ when you do long term fast – you usually start with something clean and healthy. This rings true for me and I notice a difference in my skin when I’ve skipped my morning tonic. It also curbs my appetite for greasy, bad food too which wreaks havoc on the skin.

27. Alexandra says:

Oh man, I want to answer everyone! I love hearing these responses and thanks for all the well wishes on the yoga. I’m so freaking excited.

Funnily Rebecca, and others who mentioned this, I have just barely rediscovered Kombucha and Kimchi in a serious way. Hopefully that will help! Amen on the avocado and other fats too, I’m always happy to up those. And Kahina crew, I need to get that mask!

OK keep the ideas coming. Sounds like I’m not the only one in need of a boost.

PS. Hi JJ. :)

PPS @Nicolle Oh I remember that just-married glow! Nobody’s figured out how to bottle that one yet. But word on the CC cream, I’m gonna start using it daily (wearing some now).

28. Nicolle says:

@Rebecca and @Alexandra: I need there to be a “like” button for your comments. :) And I need to try the @Kahina mask too! It sounds refreshing!

29. JJ says:

L’Shana Tova, Alex!

Best of luck with the yoga and I’m sipping on my vodka glowing but maybe booze flush isn’t the glow you were going for ;-)

I did buy organic apples at least and manuka honey for the holiday

30. Daniella Renee says:

For the body side of the glow:

-Green smoothies
    -Kefir water (Kevita is my favorite) and kombucha
    -Plenty of lemon water
    -Triple Leaf Detox Tea (add lemon + honey + ice if it’s too warm for a hot beverage)

For the soul side of the glow:

-Laughter – watch some stand-up or a comedy (I recently watched How to Marry a Millionaire and fell in love with old Hollywood all over again)
    -Try something new – it’ll rev up that sense of wonder and curiosity and infuse you with some good energy
    -Do something nice for someone. Whether it’s chatting with an old friend, or resolving to give a compliment during every interaction you have for a day, being other-centered is a good way to channel positive, glowing energy
    -Get busy or partake of some solo loving! It’s hard to beat the o-glow!

31. Katherine says:

So, plant based diet and lots of water do it for me from the inside. On the outside, I’m in LOVE with La Bella Figura’s new modern radiance concentrate (and pretty much everyone of their products I have tried). It’s definitely giving me a great glow and evenness to my skin tone that I’ve been lacking. I’ve also been running a lot more, and some nagging skin problems (among other things) have gone away. So sounds like your yoga stuff is gonna do you some wonders though! Best of luck and you’ll get your glow back before you know it!

32. Kiriko says:

Vegetables, belly laughs, biotin, baking soda scrub, and MyChelle Sunless Tanner http://amzn.to/14nYUTS

33. Tianna says:

energizing smoothies in the morning, amp up your water intake, get an hour or so more sleep if you can and indulge in some dark chocolate and stand up comedy on the weekends~ ♥

34. Steff says:

Yay for the yoga teacher training!
    I recently found the other day a list of “goals” and “to-dos” I had wanted to complete some 6 years ago and the number one thing on it was to go for yoga teacher training. And I will finally be doing it when I’m back in the UK in a month’s time! :)

For glowing skin, I’m kind of in a rut with that one as well! I feel like this time of year, although my favourite season, does take some adjusting which I always find harder than going into summer. I’ve also been using a lot of products to combat acne so I feel like my skin needs some rejuvenating for sure.

35. Ann says:

Two suggestions: a glow powder (http://host.silknaturals.com/creb/splendid-perfecting-glow-flawless-clone-p-550.html) and this lovely mist (good review here–http://beautybybritanie.com/2013/08/19/beauty-buzz-r-l-linden-co-thousand-petals-beautifying-mist/).

36. Silvy says:

Definitely hot detox baths and lots of water and sleep, as mentioned above. However, the most immediate thing you can do, I find (and especially if combined with a hot bath), is facial massage! It makes sense, since it stimulates all the blood flow to your face! Facial massage and hot compresses (or steaming) are truly the way to go. I try to do a bit of facial massage daily, incorporating Chizu Saeki’s techniques from her book The Japanese Skincare Revolution. I especially love her lymph massage, and it really does make your skin glow. She recommends some yucky products at the start, but you can do the massage and everything in the book with any products you want. You can also find lots of good videos on Youtube (including some of her techniques).

37. Silvy says:

Oh, also, ACV is your best friend! I dilute it with a bit of rose water or hot water (maybe 2/3 to 1/3 of acv- leaving it pretty strong) and make a compress with a wash cloth- leave it on for 5-10 min. Amazingness.

And also, props on the yoga teacher training! It’s on my to-do list as well :)

38. Caroline says:

Sex + Sleep + Exercise is a potent combination

39. Anna says:

I second the green smoothie recommendation! The best is the GGS (Glowing Green Smoothie) by Kimberly Snyder. It’s the best. (And if it means anything, celebrities also drink it!) Have it for breakfast every morning and the glow will be yours.

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups water
    1 head organic romaine lettuce, chopped
    3-4 stalks organic celery
    1/2 head of a large bunch or 3/4 of a small bunch of spinach
    1 organic apple, cored and chopped
    1 organic pear, cored and chopped
    1 organic banana
    Juice of 1/2 fresh organic lemon
    Optional: 1/3 bunch organic cilantro (stems OK) and 1/3 bunch organic parsley (stems OK)

Directions

Add water and chopped head of romaine to blender. Blend at a low speed until smooth.
    Add spinach, celery, apple, and pear and blend at high speed.
    Add cilantro and parsley (which help chelate heavy metals out of your body).
    Finish with banana and lemon.

Makes about three 16-ounce servings.

40. Daisy says:

Honey and Lemon mask and I am good to go!

41. I love all the comments. Diet is so important! I think the first thing to do is work on the inside of the body- things everyone has said- kombcha, ACV, lemon water, green smoothies. That’s sure to make a difference right there. I also notice more of a glow when I drink a lot of herbal teas regularly- chamomile especially, but also tulsi, nettle, and rooibos.

Topically, my advice is to head out to a spa that uses Eminence and ask for a hot facial. Specifically one using the Blueberry Detox Firming Peel, or Paprika Herbal Treatment. It is amazing. Yep, it’ll turn you bright red for about 30 minutes, maybe a little longer. But you will be glowing for days. It’s an amazing skin detox that also brings lots of nutrients (from your green smoothies!) directly to all parts of your face. Try it!

42. Michala says:

I use organic cold pressed hemp seed oil on my skin everyday as a face wash and moisturizer. Hemp seed oil has a comedogenic rating of zero, which means it won’t block the pours. It has a really nice smell, and is green in colour, which actually gives the skin a very natural cover and slight glow.

Check out the video from High on Health on youtube :)

43. danielle says:

Heard May Lindstrom new product The Honey Mud is amazing, can’t wait to try that for alittle glow!

44. Some great tips and input here for dear Alexandra. We recommend the usual skin saving suspects: drink lots of water, amp up green vegetables and orange ones too, cut down on sugar and get some rest. Topically, we’ve heard of micro planing, a non invasive, non-chemical procedure that scrapes away the top level of skin cells… we’re intrigued. And, a great oil, of course. Try 005 Huile Radicale Rejuvenating oil. The camellia, rose hip and six other organic plant botanicals make for a special night treatment. Also, for highlighting, we like W3ll People applied to the top of the cheek bones and in the V-area on either side of the eyes, like happy little parentheses around the eyes! xx

45. Erin says:

Lately I’ve also felt the need to amp up the glow factor. I’ve been dry brushing regularly, doing bentonite clay masks every Sunday evening, and in the mornings I’ve switched out my coffee for a raw apple cider vinegar tonic with wildflower honey and cinnamon. Best of luck!

46. Michele says:

A lot of times amping up the probiotics with a quality supplement as well as natural probiotics like homemade cultured veggies (sauerkraut), coconut water kefir, homemade yogurt, etc can do wonders. Avoiding sugars- even natural ones can help the skin and the energy too. Check out the Body Ecology Diet book, lots of good tips. I personally go for a more ‘raw’ approach to eating, but definitely it’s a good read. Oh and infrared saunas and hot yoga. And, dare I say it, a good colonic. Does wonders.

47. MK says:

All really great suggestions! I agree with hot yoga or the sauna to sweat out the toxins. Maybe take a couple days for yourself to just focus on cleansing. Hot yoga/sauna session, a steam facial w/ essential oils, follow up with a hydrogen peroxide & bentonite clay mask. Soak in a detox bath while clay does it’s magic. I’m big on ACV as well and I have a great clarifying tonic recipe on my blog, it’s just ACV, rosewater, glycerin and essential oils. ACV vinegar shots are great for clearing up the skin as well! Then get a massage and a great night’s rest! Oh…and I would definitely do lots of green juice over the course of the couple days. Man…I think I might have to try that myself! ;) Hope you feel better soon.

48. Midhat says:

Can anyone suggestt a good facial or spa place in chicago? Really need one, breaking out :( Thank you!!