Lina’s Morning Skin And Hair Routine… Exposed!

Meet young Lina, a Cali girl who loves her products, relishes in pampering, and knows her way around a good face mask.

Name: Lina

Age: 23

Hometown: Los Angeles, CA

Current Weather: Sunny

Skin: Fair-Medium, prone to pimplies!

Hair: Almost at mid-back

Favorite celeb from the past: Isabella Rossellini

I’ve always loved having a “skin regime.” I think it’s fun and it gives me great joy to have a routine that is unique to me, and to try out new products with my sister. When I was 10, I had my first encounter with pimples, my skin calmed down after, but ever since then I have really taken an interest in taking care of my skin. Following a very emotional period in my life a few years ago, my acne came back very badly, and I was prescribed an oral contraceptive. It worked like magic, but wreaked havoc on my body. I found myself barfing, being sensitive to smells and even occasionally seeing stars. I decided this wasn’t what I signed up for, and got off it. It’s been about a year and a half since I’ve gotten off, and my skin still isn’t back to normal. It was hard, seeing my clear skin once again ridden with acne and scars I’d worked so hard to fade. In retrospect, I almost see it as a blessing in disguise because it brought me to the world of clean products. I know in the long run, (the long long run), when my skin is clear, it will be my own bodies immunity and not some quick fix. That makes me rest easy, along with the results I see with the products I am using. When I first got off the oral contraceptive, I started using the Tata Harper line and that really opened up a new realm of skin care to me. I love her products but they get pricey after a while. With much trial and error, I finally think I’ve found a routine that I can see myself using for awhile.

Now, before I divulge my routine, I must warn you, I love the process of pampering my skin so it appears like I have a lot of products, but somehow it works for my skin.

Before the shower…

I like to do a quick swish swash with my Konjac Sponge Company Bamboo Charcoal Sponge. This is my sole “face wash” when I am not wearing make up. Then I put on a layer of Really Raw’s Raw Honey and step in the shower.

Inside the shower…

I like feeling the shower steam really intensify the power of the honey. I wash my hair with John Masters Organics Evening Primrose Shampoo for Dry Hair and condition with John Masters Organics Lavender and Avocado Intensive Conditioner. Once a week I like to use Theraneem Organix Scalp Therape Shampoo to condition my scalp. I use this great soap with turmeric and honey I got from Whole Foods for my body with a scrubby towel. I forget the brand name since I’ve long since ripped the label off.  It lathers quite well so I use it as a shaving cream for my legs as well.

Outside the shower…

Once out of the shower, I’ll wash away any remaining honey from my face and spray on Pai Lotus and Orange Blossom BioAffinity Toner. I love facial mists, and this smells divine. Then I’ll apply Pai Rosehip BioRegenerate, followed by Dr. Alkaitis eye cream. Once the BioRegenerate soaks in, I’ll apply  Kahina Giving Beauty Brightening Serum. Then depending on my how my skin feels I’ll apply Pai Chamomile and Rosehip moisturizer if my face feels dry, if not, I’ll just follow the serum with Nature’s Way Liquid Coconut Oil. I put the coconut oil on the front and back of my neck too, it makes my skin super soft! If I’m going to bed, I’ll apply some castor oil to my brows and eyelashes to condition them. Right before I sleep I like to put on Badger Balm Sleep Balm, moisturize my hands with Simply Divine Botanicals How Now Brown Cacao, and slather some Hurraw Night Treatment Moon Balm on my lips. It’s always quite a symphony of smells before bedtime.

For my body, I alternate between Weleda Baby Calendula Oil and Acure Cocoa Butter + CoQ10 unscented lotion. The Weleda really makes your skin incredibly soft if you pat it on when your skin is a little damp, right out of the shower. Then I’ll finish it off with a spray of Maya Water Organic Goji Facial Mist on my face. I adore this spray and the smell always cheers me up.

Finishing touches…

If I’m wearing make up, I’ll use Pai Camellia and Rose cleanser with their muslin cloth, followed with their Kukui and Jojoba Brightening Exfoliator. I sometimes like to use Ancient Harvest’s Quinoa Flakes as a gentle facial cleanser and exfoliator all in one. I put a handful in my hand, put warm water on it and squeeze out the milky water and apply to my face. Then I repeat that a few times then rub the soft flakes around. It’s super cheap and works really well for my skin. I bought it to eat but didn’t like the taste, who knew it would make a nice face wash! It took me a while to find a great make up cleanser. I used to be devoted to Shu Uemura Brightening Cleansing Oil, but its base is mineral oil. I tried RMS coconut oil but somehow coconut oil doesn’t work for me as a cleanser. It only works when it’s layered on top of other products. I used to mix 1 part Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar with 3 parts Heritage Products Rosewater as a DIY make up remover, and use Waxelene for my eye make up remover. The ACV was a little too stripping for daily use. The Pai cleanser is so effortless because I can use it on my eyes too, and it’s so gentle but removes everything. Every Wednesday Hump Day, I like to use Acure Brightening Scrub, it’s just a little mid-week treat for myself I can look forward to.

Then on Sundays, if time permits, I’ll treat my skin to a Dr. Alkaitis Univeral Mask whilst taking a bubble bath. I mix it with Wedderspoon Manuka Honey. I’ll spritz my skin with the Maya Water Goji Mist prior to applying the mask, and during, and after it’s removal. I love using California Baby I Love You Bubble Bath. It smells amazing and comes with two bubble wands in it! However, the bottle I have is one I bought a while ago, before they changed management and their formula, I don’t like their new formula, (the main ingredients have been moved to the end, so there is more filler, less real substance), so I really cherish the one I have right now.

I also have two other facial masks I squeeze in whenever I feel the need. The first one is Pai Rosehip BioRegenerate Mask, as it’s supposed to brighten the skin. I am forever on the search for a clean product that brightens well… and the second is Just Be Weekly Glow and Go Mask. You mix it with some apple cider vinegar and let it work its magic. I also do enjoy mixing some lemon juice with manuka honey every so often as a mask too. In the summer, I like to freeze ice cubes of rice water and glide one on right after I wake up or after a face mask. I find it really helps the overall condition of my skin.

I have so many facial products but not as many makeup products. I do very minimal makeup, or so I think. I use Vapour Stratus Soft Focus Instant Skin Perfector when I’m feeling fancy, otherwise I’ll just start off with Vapour Atmosphere Luminous Foundation. If needed, I’ll apply some Vapour Illustionist Concealer on spots and under eyes. I use a bit of Alima Satin Matte Eyeshadow in Raven to add some subtle oomph to my brows. Then I’ll put some RMS Living Luminizer on my cupid’s bow, nose, chin and inner corner of eyes. If I feel like it I’ll put some Vapour Aura Multi Use Blush in Spark. As for the eyes, I love using D.J.V. Beautenizer Fiberwig LX. It’s by no means clean, but it comes off with just a bit of warm water, and that gives it major kudos in my book. Since it’s a fiberwig mascara, it doesn’t feel as clumpy and heavy as other mascaras too. If I’m not using mascara, I might put on a small cat eye extension just on the outer corners of my eye, 1/16th of an inch on each side with Tarte Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner. It is the only eyeliner that won’t fade away right away for my lids. Then I’ll top it all off with a spritz of the Maya Water Goji spray. For lips, I love Ilia Lip Conditioner in Dizzy, it gives a nice brightness to my lips. If I want more impact, I’ll use Ilia Lip Conditioner in Crimson and Clover. But most days, I’ll just put on Dr. Alkaitis lip balm in the lime flavor, or Hurraw Lip Balm in Black Cherry, which imparts a barely there red tint. And finally, if I’m feeling up for perfume, I’ll put Tsi-La Organics Fiori D’Arancio if I’m feeling playful, Tallulah Jane Eau de Parfum Tallulah if I’m feeling more serene, and if I’m going out I put Givenchy Dahlia Noir. I’m always on the search for a new scent though.

After writing all this, I do realize I am quite the product junkie, but clean products have such amazing scents and ingredients that I always want to try everything out! And most of all, I enjoy the process of pampering my skin and knowing that everything I’m putting on is clean. I also look forward to my nineties because I know my skin will still look great thanks to all the amazing clean products out there! I’m excited to continue down this path and glad that I have NMDL to do it with.  :)

Comments
17 Responses to “Lina’s Morning Skin And Hair Routine… Exposed!”
  1. Rebecca Bailey says:

I love the Pai Bioaffinity toner, it’s quite expensive for a toner so it’s an occasional thing for me, but worth a splurge now and then. Wedderspoon Manuka is a favorite of mine.

2. A says:

Wow- so many products! From your descriptions I think we have the same skin type– mine cleared right up on OCPs but the acne came back when I went off it. The only thing that works for me now is basically not going anything to my skin. I used to use a lot of toners, cleansers, moisturizers, etc, but doing too much makes it break out! Now I just use Juice Beauty oil-free sunblock as a sunblock & moisturizer (works great), alima for concealing spots, and take everything off with warm water at the end of the day. That’s it– and I have less pimples now!
    Something to try if you get really fed up with the breakouts…

I like your quinoa flake idea! Might have to try that one out for a weekly scrub…

3. Ophelia zen says:

This is the organic, L.A. version of the American Psycho’s beauty routine. Love it.

4. Ameya says:

I really enjoy reading how other people care for their skin and their product choices. I too used to have a vast array of products, mask, serums, and other such lovely items. However, with very easily aggravated skin I realized that by using so many different products, it actually did not benefit my skin. After reading the above routine, it made me think of my very simple, yet high quality routine. I find that its best to choose a very good organic product like and use their products mainly, such as Kahina Giving Beauty (my new favourite) or Dr. Alkaitis or The Body Deli. I find when you use one main product line, the products are all complementary and work better together than adding a ton of other products. Personally, multi layering of serums does not really serve much purpose. If you layer an oil based serum first, its very difficult for the second serum to soak in fully! However, we all have our specific routines. I also understand how tempting it is to purchase so many amazing products, yet simplicity works best for me.

5. Geeta says:

Lovely post. If you like Pai and Tata Harper skincare, please take a look at my site http://www.sopureskincare.co.uk for 100% natural cruelty free skin and bodycare, all british made.

6. Geeta says:

Hi if you like Tata Harper and Pai please check out http://www.sopureskincare.co.uk totally natural, cruelty free and british made small batch skin care!

7. therese says:

I have to admit since I’ve been reading NMDL, I am enjoying the pampering process and the look of my skin and hair.
    I am so happy to see younger people starting on the clean trail. I wish I had been exposed to this years ago. Imagine some years from now no one being prescribed the pill for better skin.

Thanks Lina for your share.

8. Lolly says:

What a great routine and Lina, you are adorable! A girl after me own heart. Although I must admit, the fact that you consider Ms. Rossellinni as “an icon from the past” makes me feel reeeeeally freakin’ old. I still remember being indignant when Lancome replaced her as the sole spokesmodel! Super-sadface :-( I don’t think your list of products is excessive, by the way. Said the girl with 50 different cleansers. Ahem. But really, it sounds like your daily routine is actually relatively pared down and then you have different products you use as occasional treats/as needed. Nuthin’ wrong with that, I say!

Also, I have been on a Yuli-recommending kick today, but since you’re an intrepid clean product explorer (sounds so much nice than “product junkie”, doesn’t it? Let’s keep telling ourselves that), I figure you might want to give them a shot. Now, I don’t have any issues with acne/pimples, but from everything I hear, their stuff is amazing for problem skin. Also, their Cell Perfecto serum is supposed to be magical for scars. I do use their anti-aging stuff, by the way, and I love it. And though their products are not cheap, they do sell trial sizes, which could be a good way to see if the products work for you? Just a thought.

9. Steff says:

You’ve got me reading about rice water now!

10. Victoria says:

This was such a fun and innovative post to read! Thank you for sharing Lina. I love, love, love your tip of freezing rice water and making quinoa toner/water! I imagine this would be so soothing for sunburn relief. It makes me smile when I read such fantastic skin routines.

Your love of a facial mist is making me excited to release ours this August. Hoping that fans of mists love the gentle and unique formula we created that is also nutrient rich for skin.

Hurray, for this routine and I agree with Therese who said she wished she had been exposed to all this fantastic information ages ago.

Victoria
    La Bella Figura

11. Anna says:

Lina, I’m glad I’m not the only one who obsessively conditions her lashes and brows, haha! I, like you, love a good mask, and I’ve been making one that I read about on the blog Beauty By Britanie. It’s basically raw honey (or manuka), nutmeg, and turmeric. I also add a few drops of neem oil and some red sandalwood powder. I leave it on while I take a bath, and then massage it into my skin and rinse off. It’s giving me major glow and fading some old blemish scars! That, and Earth Tu Face’s facial oil.

I’ve also suffered terrible breakouts in the past, and my skin is still healing. I’m reading a book right now that might be of interest to you. It’s called “Absolute Beauty: Radiant Skin and Inner Harmony Through the Ancient Secrets of Ayurveda” by Pratima Raichur. It inspired me to really simplify my routine (“Cleanse, Nourish, Moisturize”), and my skin is so much happier.

12. Silvy says:

Whoo this makes me yearn for the days of old when I used lots more products. Unfortunately, my skin is much better now that I use barely anything on it daily and contain my product junkiness to one day a week. I do wish I were much more diligent with the castor oil for brows and lashes though!

@Anna Awesome book recommendation!!

13. Anna says:

Thanks, Silvy! :) I’m really enjoying Dr. Raichur’s book. She’s an interesting lady.

14. I love hearing about the routines of people in L.A. We have such a dry climate that it poses challenges (in addition to the environmental junk in the air). Thank you for sharing!

15. Beth says:

I use hemp seed oil on my brows and lashes and it makes a big difference.

@ Anna- I’ve seen this book online and have been curious about it. Might have to pick it up now. Thanks.

16. lisajay99 says:

I counted fourteen products that I personally use and love!

17. Anna says:

@Beth you’re welcome!

Dr. Pratima also has a line of Ayurvedic skin care products. I’ve been using her Bakuchi Skin Brightening Oil on my dark undereyes. It’s really great!