Leigh’s Morning Hair And Skin Routine… Exposed!

Name: Leigh

Age: 23

Hometown: Houston, TX

Current weather: Cool (50s and 60s) and sunny lately, but hot and humid every other season!

Hair: Slightly wavy and very thick; prone to dryness and frizziness.  Naturally a dark ash blonde, but in a moment of weakness I dyed it dark brown with regular (super dirty) box dye about a year ago.  I loved the color, so I maintained it for several months. BUT seeing as how I would like to have functioning respiratory and nervous systems, I stopped dyeing it about three months and am now “just seeing how it grows out!”  So I’ve got about two inches of roots, dark brown for most of my strands and some faded brassy ends.  Color-wise, it is not very attractive at the moment, but I keep telling myself that with regular trims and probably one big chop in a few months, the grow-out process will be worth it in the end!

Skin: Very fair and prone to sunburn.  The skin on my face is dry and sensitive, and because of some (super fun!) major hormonal breakouts over the past two years, I’ve got a few clusters of hyper-pigmentation.

Favorite star or icon from the past: Etta James

In the shower…

I wash my hair about twice a week and usually don’t get it wet in between washes.  About two months ago, I gave up liquid shampoo and haven’t looked back.  I ordered a bunch of sample-size shampoo bars from Chagrin Valley Soap & Salve, they are awesome! My favorites are the Mud & Clay bar and Honey Beer & Egg bar.  Then I do an ACV rinse, which I let sit on my hair while I wash my pits and bits with Dr. Bronners (rose is my favorite but I’m using the citrus one right now).

Outside the shower…

While my skin is still warm and damp, I rub a homemade cocoa butter/coconut oil/apricot oil body butter all over.  In the mornings, I wash my face with raw honey and then follow up with Thayer’s witch hazel and rose petal toner, the Desert Essence Daily Essential De-Puffing Eye Cream (affordable, scores a 1 on Skin Deep, and comes in a squeeze tube, yay!), and a big pump of Aura Cacia Rosehip Oil all over my face and neck.  For sunscreen, I have been trying out the new-ish Andalou Naturals Beauty Balm.  The ingredients are pretty clean (I think there’s one questionable one) and the sun protection comes from zinc oxide, and so far I like it.  At night, it’s jojoba oil to remove eye makeup, and the Shea Rose Clay complexion bar soap from Chagrin Valley to wash my face. Then the Thayer’s toner and Desert Essence eye cream again, this time followed by Acure Organics Radical Resurfacing Lotion and a pump or two of Tamanu Oil, both of which I’ve heard are good for hyper-pigmentation and seem to be working quite well.

Finishing touches…

I’ve been alternating between Soapwalla and Chagrin Valley’s Summer Rain cream deodorant for the past couple of months.  They have very similar ingredients, but I think Soapwalla has a slight edge because the texture is a bit softer.  Most days I run a few drops of Acure Organics Argan Oil through my hair to smooth it out.  For makeup, it’s Alima Pure for foundation, blush, bronzer, and brow powder; Physician’s Formula Organic Wear or Honeybee Gardens for mascara; for lips, I rotate between the three 100% Pure lip glazes I have (Daiquiri, Rose Petal, and Cabernet) or the Hurraw! Black Cherry tinted lip balm.   I have really wanting to try out the RMS Living Luminizer because everyone raves about it….however it’s not really in my budget at the moment! I’ve already decided it’s going to be a present from myself to myself for my birthday in June, but a few weeks ago I found a neglected tube of Alba’s Un-Petroleum Jelly in my bathroom and BAM! an idea came to me.  The first three ingredients of both products are castor oil, coconut oil, and beeswax.  I also have a few sample sizes of Alima’s Luminous Shimmer Powders, so I mixed the mineral powder (I really like the shade Lumina, which is a nice pale beige) with the Alba Un-Petroleum Jelly until I got a nice consistency, and I actually like the end result!  I put a dab on my cheekbones, bridge of my nose, and on my brownbone.  It is in no way as amazing as the frosted-glass piece of luxury that RMS is, but it will satisfy my craving for a nice dewy highlight for now!

Comments
16 Responses to “Leigh’s Morning Hair And Skin Routine… Exposed!”
  1. Sydney says:

Hi Leigh,

I really liked your routine (: I was wondering about the apricot oil that you said goes in your body butter…do you think that it’s greasy at all? I’ve been looking around for a good carrier oil to use on my face, hair, and body but I have oily and dehydrated skin so it’s been a bit hard for me. Also what does it smell like? Thanks (:

2. Annette says:

Nice routine. Simple yet glam too. I like a girl who likes her makeup!

3. LC says:

I have been a big fan of Chagrin Valley for years. Ida is simply wonderful! Herb Garden, Ayurvedic, and Soapnut Shampoo bars are my absolute favorites.

4. Mariah says:

Sydney, I also use apricot oil in a homemade body butter. I don’t find it to be greasy at all! Although, I haven’t tried it on my face and hair. I had previously been using straight olive oil on my body after showers, and that was way too heavy for my oily, yet dry-ish skin (It gave me “bacne”). But the apricot oil as the main ingredient in my body butter (mostly mixed with beeswax) is awesome. Perfect amount of moisture without being greasy. I haven’t noticed a smell, but my cat likes to lick it off my feet after I put it on. So I guess it smells good to her :)

5. Sophie says:

Loving this routine!

6. Beatrice says:

If you do want to keep your hair darker without the box dyes (I was addicted to them at one point… I look at pictures and I wonder what possessed me to dye my hair orange…) anyway you should definitely try henna. I did it for the first time a few months ago after Rebecca did a how-to post. You can get henna-indigo mixes that go from medium to very dark brown. It wasn’t nearly as intimidating as I thought it would be, just give yourself plenty of time and keep things as neat as possible, and it makes your hair very shiny as well.

7. anne says:

@Sydney a good non greasy carrier oil for skin is jojoba oil. Argan oil is great for hair, though not straight up for me. I like to mix argan oil in my homemade shampoo bar.

8. Laura says:

Great routine! I want to try those shampoo bars as well! Just wanted to let you know you may not be missing anything by not having the RMS luminizer, I just got a full size and can’t really say that it does anything for me. It doesn’t do anything bad, I just barely see anything different when I put it on. My skin is quite fair and a bit pinkish, and I was hoping for the awesome results that I’ve heard so much about with this product but no such luck. It sounds like your creative mix is a great and more affordable solution!

9. Gaayle says:

I love your idea about mixing the Un-petroleum with Alma Pure’s shimmer powders! I did something similar by mixing castor, beeswax and coconut oil with the an Alima shimmer sample I had, and it works alright. I will probably get the RMS luminizer at some point, but like you, it’s just not in the budget right now.

10. Rebecca Bailey says:

Love the DIY luminizer idea.

@Beatrice, so glad you found the henna posts useful! Today I am freshly hennaed and feeling fabulous.

11. Leigh says:

@Sydney: Thanks! I don’t find apricot oil to be very greasy, I’d say it’s heavier than grapeseed but lighter than coconut oil. I buy the Now Foods brand and it doesn’t seem to have any kind of smell!

12. Silvy says:

i recently hennaed my hair too, to make it darker, and i love it! helps with dandruff too, but make sure you get a pure kind.

i love this routine! i use a lot of these products too. chagrin valley is amazing! i can’t find any shampoo bars that work for me, though the juniper comfrey soap works great in my hair. i use the thayer’s rose toner to cleanse my face in the morning so loving that as well.

13. Tra says:

Love love your routine, especially using rose hip oil for face and neck, and also Chagrin Valley. It is my saving for hair & body soap for years. Sometimes I use their butter bar conditioner too, sometimes I mix some left over infusion, ACV and 1-2 drops of argan oil, it’s super rewarding when the hair is dry.

14. Rebecca Bailey says:

@Silvy, have you tried this shampoo & body bar? http://www.roseofsharonacres.com/inc/sdetail/6162/7249 I’ve tried the lime one too, but that’s my favorite.

15. Silvy says:

Thanks, Rebecca! I’ve only tried Chagrin Valley so far; I’ll have to give that one a go!

16. Sydney says:

Mariah, Anne, and Leigh: Thanks for the suggestions and info! I just might buy some apricot oil soon and see how I like it (:

Also I was wondering if anybody knows where I can buy unrefined babassu oil? I’ve been researching for forever and I cannot find one that isn’t ultra-refined?