It’s Spring Makeover Time! Here Are Two Products I’m Loving

Next week marks for the first day of spring, but last night the new season was alive and well in a suddenly balmy Los Angeles. Those who don’t live here tend to think that we’re all running around in tank tops in February—but it is so not so. These last few days however, have given us a taste of what’s to come—which means I’ve been thinking about spring makeovers.

It’s completely Pavlovian for me. The temperature rises a few degrees and I start dreaming of new hairstyles, clothes, makeup. I even had a fantasy about gel nails the other day. (Someone please remind me how that’s a horrible idea, k?)

I’m the sucker they write magazines for. Luckily, right now I have two newish products in my roster that are helping me refresh my look for spring—and that don’t involve me doing anything too silly.

Have you tried either of these products?

1. Studio 78 Paris, Bronzing Powder Me love a good bronzer, and this is the best one I’ve tried in a while. It does exactly what it should: enhance your natural skin tone, define your face structure, and give you a glow. It should not look like you stepped off one of the Housewives of somewhere sets. Siobhan reviewed this line a little while back, and was crushing hard on the under eye concealer and blush. I too tried three (different) products and the bronzer was the standout for me. (Note: The eye shadow is also really special, the eyeliner notsomuch. There’s something I don’t love about the way it applies.) It’s a bit too bad re the liner because I specifically like wearing bronzer when I’m doing more of an eye thing, but I have other ones.

Now, you might be wondering if a bronzer is worth $43 and I can’t answer that question for you. What I will say is that I’ve never in my life finished a bronzer—it is a product that lasts as long as you’re willing not to throw it out. I don’t worry a whole lot about germs and such, so I’m guessing I will be whipping this out every spring for the next several years unless I lose it.

2. Vapour’s Multi-Use Stain / 209 Impulse This product is killing it for me right now. It was actually part of our Quarterly package last time, so I’m curious to know if those who got it are loving it as much as I am. I’ve had several days now where I wear nothing else on my face. This long-lasting stain is the perfect color for lips and cheeks, and perfect too for most skin tones. You can control how intense it is by how much you use—it can look as subtle a post-romp flush (sorry! blame spring!), or as dramatic as a true red lip. The tube is huge, which thrills me for two reasons: 1. There’s lots of product in there. 2. It’s easy to find in my purse! And when you’re only using one product, that’s kind of a boon.

So, what spring makeover fantasies are you having? Have you tried any great new products for the season?

Comments
25 Responses to “It’s Spring Makeover Time! Here Are Two Products I’m Loving”
  1. fern says:

I always like to switch up blush colors. I do love the Impulse that is in the Quarterly package, but I also love Vapour Aura in Torch and Alima blush in Antique Rose or Pink for spring. I can’t wait for the weather to turn!!

2. Rebecca Bailey says:

NOOoooooooooo gel nails, A! ; ) I admit to loving some Zoya polish right now though, my one slight transgression.

I’m definitely getting excited for spring. I’m experimenting with different blushes, and going for bare lashes (with just a bit of RMS luminizer) with a touch of color on lips. I’ve actually been doing the bare lashes for a while, but I hear it’s going to be “in” this year. My biggest spring makeover thing is working on getting my skin in its best possible shape. I’ll have some spring-y product reviews coming up!

I haz a sad about Vapour using carmine – especially since I get the quarterly package. The color looks SO beautiful in the tube. I will pass it on to a non-vegan friend, though!

3. KammyH says:

I am so intrigued by Studio 78 Paris. I’m currently using Living Nature’s bronzer and don’t really have any complaints, but I might buy this anyway. I love that the lighter color doesn’t look like it has much orange in it. It actually reminds me a little bit of the color of Kevyn Aucoin’s sculpting powder.
    I LOVE Vapour’s stain in Impulse. I’ve had my stick for forever and have barely made a dent in it even though I use it all the time. It lasts all day for me too!

4. Siobhan says:

I love this post and I LOVE the Vapour product too. I agree with A — looks totally post-romp flushed if you apply it lightly. So fun! A coworker also gave me a purple eyeliner yesterday. I maybe have to write a post about that.

5. Sydney says:

This spring I am basically doing a complete turn around in terms of beauty. I want big changes so actually in a couple of days I am getting dreadlocks put in and I’m going to stop wearing “correctional” makeup like foundation and mascara. I want to focus on getting my skin to the best condition it possibly can be in and just use fun makeup like eyeliner and lipstick that I can play around with (:

6. Ally says:

I’m on a mad hunt for the perfect cream concealer and tinted moisturizer and I’m eyeing the Suki bits, but her color selection is very limited. Have any of you tried them?? I’m so sad, I purchased RMS un cover-up, living luminizer, lip2cheek, and unpowder – and every single cream product makes me break out. A lot. I had a meltdown of epic girl proportions.

7. Emily says:

Ugh. I got gel nails over Christmas thinking it would be fun for the holidays and my nails are still recovering. Don’t dooooo it!

Whenever it warms up I always start thinking about getting highlights–I have super dark hair. I got them done last May and they’re almost grown out. Going to try to resist the urge this year and embrace the dark side.

8. JeanineD says:

I just got a the foundation, concealer and mascara from Studio 78 and I have mixed reviews. I don’t like the foundation so far (really hard to apply), the concealer creases on me a bit, but the mascara is really nice! I will have a review up on my blog soon on those for anyone who is interested. I will have to look into the bronzer too! I am always up for a great bronzer.

Jeanine
    stylishlyorganic.com

9. Stefanie says:

Alexandra, which color of the Studio 78 bronzing powder are you using? The white sand or desert sand?

10. Emma B says:

Every spring I look into getting an everyday moisturizer with SPF that I would actually wear. Last year I tried 100% Pure, Green Beaver, Erbaviva, and Karen’s Botanicals before settling for a wide brim hat unless I was working out.

I’m not quite ready to shell out $50 for the MVO sheer coverage. This year, I’ve tried Devita’s Solar moisturizer, and although it’s only been a few days, so far I can see myself wearing this everyday. I still need another moisturizer on my cheeks, but it’s neither whitening, nor shiny, nor drying. I will be looking into more Devita products because I am quite impressed.

I’m also really liking my new-ish Ilia multi-stick in ‘I put a spell on you’, great colour for pale yellow toned skin.

11. Mercedes says:

So perfect, I’m in the market for a good non-toxic bronzer. I’ve been true to Nars Laguna for awhile and was considering Benefit Hoola, but I may give this a go. Do you have the lighter shade, White Sand, Alexandra? I’m not sure which to go with. I’m fairly light complexioned, but with dark features, and I want it show up…

Thanks so much for this post!

12. Jennifer K. says:

Great post. Step away from the gel nails, nothing good can come from them. The only outcomes are a lifetime chained to the maintenance or months of trying to heal your natural nails. Sydney, I love reading posts or comments about women ditching makeup. I very rarely wear makeup. I have some that I use when I feel like playing or when I want to show him that a date is important to me by making an extra effort. (he actually says he prefers how I look without makeup, love him!) It’s not a lifestyle statement or due to any clean/dirty conflict. It happened by accident. I stopped wearing makeup a long time ago and one day a woman asked why I didn’t wear it. My first response was “too lazy” and that’s partly true. When I took time to think about my reasons for wearing it vs not wearing it, I didn’t like what I learned about myself. Turned out I was wearing it as a mask to hide behind or not wearing it in an effort not to be seen at all. In the end I learned that Iyam who Iyam and that has come to be more than enough for me. Honestly, who else really matters anyway? Wherever I go, whoever I’m with, whatever I do, I will always have me with me…better be ok with that, no?

13. Amy L says:

I looooved the quarterly goodies too :)

$43 is definitely too much for a bronzer for me at the moment…but i’m currently in love with honeybee gardens bronzer and it’s only $7. It looks like it probably contains a lot less than the Studio 78 though. I feel like it just gives a nice happy glow to my pale skin – most bronzers I’ve tried in the past have been wayyy too dark for me so I’m always hesitant to spend on a new one.

14. Michelle says:

Thanks for the review, especially on the bronzer! I’m anxiously waiting for my new RMS lipshine in sacred. It looks perfect for spring!

Ally – It might be the coconut oil in the RMS products that is making you break out…I can’t do them on my face for that reason. Check out W3LL people narcissist foundation…no coconut oil and the samples are very reasonably priced!

15. Courtney says:

How does this quarterly business work? I pay $25 each quarter and whatever is in the package is a surprise?

16. JeanineD says:

@Ally, I have the same problem with the RMS un-cover up. I can use it under my eyes but that is pretty much it. The Studio 78 is very similar to the RMS one, in color and texture, but a lot less oily and matte. It almost feels like a dry oil to me, if that makes sense. I think that one could work for you (all concealers tend to crease on me so don’t let that comment discourage you!).

17. Ally says:

@Michelle, I think you’re right. It’s so sad, they’re beautiful products and now they’re expensive vanity decorations. Thanks so much for the recommendation. I tried the narcissist foundation last year and (gasp, I hate to say this here), but I didn’t like it at all.

18. Kate says:

For all of you ladies looking for a moisturizer with SPF that you can wear out on a patio OR a long run in full sun, I’ve FINALLY found it! I splurged on Jane Iredale’s tinted moisturizer and I have NEVER been so happy. Oh man, guys. I can’t tell you how happy it makes me.

I’ve tried a ton of others — 100% pure, Green Beaver, Karen’s Botanicals, The Beehive brand, etc., and have never been happy until now. And the best part, Canadian ladies, is that the Willow Stream spa at the Banff Springs Fairmont covers the cost of shipping to anywhere in Canada. So call them for your Jane Iredale needs.

And if you get the moisturizer and don’t like it, I’ll totally buy it off you. I’ve NEVER been this happy with a product, and i found it just in time for spring!!

19. Rose says:

I’ve enjoyed all the various Quarterly packages, but receiving makeup in this latest mailing was both unexpected and fun! I like both the multi-use stain and mascara.

20. Brandi says:

@Emma B @Kate I work in a greenhouse and have tested what seems like hundreds of sunscreens (including every single one you both listed). I met my true love with Coola mineral matte cucumber. It works under and over makeup and on its own. The texture is silky smooth and there’s no residue at all. Everyone I’ve shared it with has bought it for themselves. If you’re not into the matte look or your skin is drier, try the Coola mineral rose. Your hunts may have just come to an end.

21. Kate says:

@Brandi — my credit card is currently weeping, but my soul is so happy. Thank you! This will be SO fantastic for the days I don’t wear makeup <3<3<3

22. Emma B says:

@ Brandi
    Thanks, I might try it, although I’m not sure it would work for me… I prefer zinc oxide as it protects better and is less drying on my skin. There’s also a couple ingredients I’m wary of, like dimethicone (silicone) and synthetic wax (petrochemicals).

23. Stephanie says:

As usual I’m late to the party, but I reiterate – NO to gel nails. I stupidly did it once, and as pretty as it may have been, the effects – ew, and what one has to go through to get the polish off, again – ew. Thanks for the recommendations, I want to try the Vapor stain.

24. Nicolle says:

I’d love to know if the bronzer is super sparkly or shimmery… I find that I just can’t stomach ones that make my face look like a disco ball…

1. [...] Keep reading for more on the powder and one more amazing product for spring… [...]