Alisyn’s Meatless Monday Obsession: Peanut Butter!

Peanut butter!

Dietary leanings: Pescetarian! And trying to eat as seasonally as I can. But I crave peanut butter year-round.

Ingredient: Fresh ground peanut butter

Known health benefits: (from The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth) Peanuts rank about as high as strawberries in antioxidants. Also, researchers at Purdue University found that “including peanuts in the diet significantly increased magnesium, folate, copper, vitamin E, and arginine consumption, all of which play a role in the prevention of heart disease.” Peanuts are also high in niacin, a vitamin B important for keeping the digestive system, skin, and nerves healthy. Also, they’re great at keeping you feeling full with all those healthy fats!

My favorite way to eat this food: Smeared on apple slices, in smoothies, or in one of my raw oat concoctions.

Way #1: 1/4 cup of raw oats, 1/4 cup of almond milk, almost 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut, 1 tsp (or more!) of raw honey, and between 1 and 2 tbsp of peanut butter. Stir it around until it’s mixed together pretty well and then eat (I usually lick the bowl, but that’s up to you).

Way #2: I’ve been eating this for breakfast lately. I make a strawberry/rhubarb compote that I eat instead of store-bought jams (basically I just cook a pint of strawberries (sliced) with 2 stalks of rhubarb (also sliced), add a little water to get it going (not much), a dash of cinnamon and cardamom, and maybe a tiny amount of maple syrup if it needs it). Then I take 1/4 cup of oats, 1/3-ish cup of the compote, and then a tbsp or 2 of peanut butter, add a bit of almond milk if it needs thinning out, mix that all up, and it’s like a pb&j without having to eat wheat!

Also my fiance makes an awesome spicy peanut (butter) sauce to put over roasted asparagus. Oh! And that one recipe you guys posted forever ago with the Greek yogurt, peanut butter, and maple syrup! Bomb!

P.S. Did I include enough exclamation points to get across how excited I am about peanut butter? Because I took some out.

Comments
11 Responses to “Alisyn’s Meatless Monday Obsession: Peanut Butter!”
  1. Rebecca Bailey says:

LOVE!!! Agree with the need for ! When talking peanut butter : )

With fruit (bananas, apples, strawberries), honey, or just a scoop on its own, soooooooo good. It’s one of very few foods I don’t prefer raw. Something about roasted peanuts is so perfect. The best I’ve had is from a little local store called Food Mill that grinds it fresh. Simply ground peanuts with nothing else, and the oil doesn’t significantly separate like with big store brand naturals. Buying it is less messy than grinding it myself though I’ve been tempted to try.

Should we fight about smooth vs. crunchy? ; )

2. Letitia says:

Awesome post…and a hee-larious “PS”. Having a happy/sad moment that someone got to expound on the joys of peanut butter before I did.

My peanut butter trick (which works especially well for natural peanut butter that is, often, rock hard from the fridge): put a glob in a small dish and microwave it. It is awesome sauce for all kinds of dipping and drizzling…warm peanut butter with green apple slices, warm peanut butter with mini carrots, warm peanut butter and a banana, warm peanut butter and ice cream, warm peanut butter over a brownie!

3. Caitlin says:

Another good way to eat peanut butter in oatmeal is with (sugar free) cocoa powder! A little vanilla almond milk, cocoa powder, and peanut butter in raw oats = Reese’s cup for breakfast!

4. Kate says:

Letitia! Great minds – I love warm peanut butter. I make ice cream (with almond milk, etc.) and warm peanut butter on top of ice cream is amazing. It almost makes a shell like candy…#drooling

5. Beth says:

I have to make My husband read this post. I am forever catching him standing in front of the fridge with a spoon in one hand and the peanut butter in the other. He’s a total addict.

6. Susannah says:

Probably one of my favorite foods EVER. I most often eat it on toast with honey or jam, with apples/celery, or by the spoonful. I also like to split a banana, smear it with PB, and sandwich it back together for a quick go snack. Has anyone tried a slice of toast with peanut butter, cucumber slices, and a smidgen of sea salt? It’s delish! I have tried a lot of brands but am most devoted to the Whole Foods 365 version. It’s cheap, organic, and has the right balance of salt. Pro tip – before I open a new jar I flip it over and let it rest upside down for a day or so to get the separated oil and butter moving. Then I mix it with a long chopstick. The skinny shape gives you leverage without causing oil to spill over the edge of the jar like bigger utensils do.

7. therese says:

This might be my favorite MM post. I too have been known to spoon it out of the jar. It is easy to make too. I have friends who are always telling me no peanut butter use almond butter. Heck no, love my peanut butter. I haven’t tried the oatmeal combo but must try now. Thanks for this fun post.

8. Beatrice says:

Do you think your fiancé would divulge his spicy asparagus sauce recipe?

9. Alisyn says:

Thank YOU guys for validating my peanut butter love. Fiance says, of the peanut sauce, “Just a little peanut butter, some lime juice, cayenne pepper, and hot water.” Well god, that’s way easier than it tasted.

Also, the mention of unsweetened cocoa powder reminded me and prompted me to make a snack of a tbsp coconut oil, a tbsp peanut butter, a tbsp (or whatever) of cocoa powder, and a tsp of maple syrup with some hot water. Puddiiiiing.

10. Marsha says:

I’m sad that they didn’t come up with a better Monday segment! No offense but this segment is sort of dull compared to what this site usually posts! Especially with all the seemingly great suggestions readers were making for a replacement to MM menus.