7 Products That Give You Shiny Hair

Shiny hair for spring? Yes please! We’re loving this shine-boosting list from team Well+Good—which have you tried?

Even those of us who trim our split ends regularly and sleep with a humidifier on can see frizz and flyaways in the mirror this time of year. That’s because winter elements (and your adorable wool hat) can poach moisture from your hair and scalp, making you look less coiffed than you’d care to.

How to restore or add shine? These new, natural, and noteworthy shampoos, masks, and finishing serums will do your ‘do justice. All of them add life and luster to your locks—and in just one moisture-boosting use.

1. Yarok Feed Your Shine Hair Serum, $24

This is a luminizer for your locks. The editorial hair stylist and formulator, Mordechai Alvow, gets amazing results with this blend of sesame, coconut, Roman chamomile, and other light oils. You warm up a few drops in your hands and run them over your pre- or post-styled hair. You’ll get gloss, dimensionality, and total polish with zero buildup, and seriously wonder how you lived without it.

2. Intelligent Nutrients Hair Shine, $29

It’s great for those days when you know if you touch your hair, it’ll all go to hell. Instead, this skinny pump dispenses a fine mist of USDA-organic finishing gloss over your damp or almost dry hair. And because it’s made by the fastidious Horst Rechelbacher (formerly of Aveda), it uses lemongrass, black cumin, pumpkin seed, and other antioxidant oils for its finishing touch of conditioning sheen.

3. Rahua Omega 9 Hair Mask, $58

If you suspect your hair is one flyaway from getting you a finger-wagging from your stylist (or mother), this uber-nourishing hair mask is for you. It taps the restorative power of rahua nut oil (loaded with omega-9 that your hair will drink in), as well as quinoa protein (it’s the year for it, after all) to strengthen and protect your hair. Use it once to see a difference, and weekly for better behaving hair on an on-going basis.

4. Original Mineral Frizzy Logic Shine Serum, $25

This super-chic, non-toxic company made a behind-the-scenes debut at New York Fashion Week. It hails from Australia where the line’s a hit with natural-leaning types. We fell hard for the packaging and the ingredients, starting with the ones in this frizz-fighter, like organic argan and macadamia oil, which can get hair runway (or workday) ready.

5. John Masters Organics Lavender & Avocado Intensive Conditioner, $22

Healthy hair that’s fallen off the wagon—like with too many hair-breaking blowouts or ponytails—can benefit from this treatment conditioner. Its fortifying soy proteins make your hair heartier and the replenishing babassu seed and avocado oils will allow you to comb hair out, and blow it out, and flatten it out without worrying if you’re also ruining it.

See the other products here.

Comments
14 Responses to “7 Products That Give You Shiny Hair”
  1. Rebecca Bailey says:

I’ve tried the IN hair shine, and it does do some major shine! I can never handle anything with alcohol due to the smell, though, so I didn’t keep using it. I use various oils on my hair and like to try new things, but my favorite for shine as a treatment is coconut oil, and my favorite leave-in for shine is Lotus Wei serum (I use the Pure Energy). It’s light enough that I can put it on even close to my scalp and it doesn’t leave it greasy looking.

2. anitaswelt says:

My holy grail for shiny hair is not a real product but a little add-on after washing: I turn the shower on ice-cold water and then soak my hair thoroughly (especially in winter it’s horrible *lol*). This “closes” the surface of the hair (sorry for my poor description, but I do not know the proper words in English) and makes it extremely shiny.

3. Jill says:

Any of these good for curly/wavy hair? I always feel like my curl pattern leaves things looking dull.

4. Stefanie says:

I tried the IN hair shine and was sooooooooooooooooo disappointed. It didn’t do anything for me at all!No shine whatsoever! It also made my hair feel weird.I had such high hopes for it! I have fine wavy mid back long hair. I’m actually not alone..On Spiritbeautylounge there are some other girls who didn’t care for it, so I was glad to see it wasn’t just me:)

I have the Yarok feed your shine and like it quite a bit though.

5. Nadine says:

I started using Apple Cider Vinegar to prevent flakes and to get rid of an itchy scalp, which he does. As a added benefit, my hair has never been shinier. I am really happy with the results

6. Mary says:

My favorite natural haircare item is called “The Name is Product.” It is a styling balm that makes my hair feel sooo soft, especially after I flat iron it!

7. Sydney says:

I’ve noticed that ever since I started rinsing my hair with water rather than washing with shampoo, my hair has really increased in shine and even in fullness. But actually just the other day I broke down and used some of my old Organix coconut milk conditioner and I hate to say it but my hair is in bliss. Its SOOO shiny and it smells like heaven. I’ve been wondering if maybe I could make a homemade coconut conditioner to try and recreate my Organix one and get the same shine? Anybody have any ideas?

8. Stephanie says:

I really like the John Masters Organics Lavender & Avocado Intensive Conditioner. I think it feels and looks as good or possibly better than those dirty conditioners.

9. Emma B says:

@ Stephanie
    I agree! JMO’s intensive conditioner is by far the best natural conditioner I’ve ever tried. It really untangles and leaves hair soft without making it oily.

10. Charlotte says:

oyin handmades burnt sugar pomades AND their hair dew give great shine. theyre both quite cheap too, all natural ingredients and smell delicious! oyinhandmade.com

11. Silvy says:

I tried the new Acure hair mask today! Lovely, just like all of their products, and very soothing for the scalp. :)

12. Carla says:

If you have curly hair, you must try flaxseed hair gel. It’s easy to make, and my curls have never looked better. There are lots of recipes floating around on google. I like it because you can’t over-use it, and you can successfully scrunch the crunch out once your hair dries. My hair can go 3 days between washes.

13. Audreiana says:

I just picked up the John Masters Organics Lavender & Avocado Intensive conditioner after trying a sample of it and I love it! It works great in moisturizing my really dry hair. I’ve also been using their Citrus & Neroli detangler which is awesome too. Next, I’m looking to try out some yarok and IN products. Xo, Audreiana from True Beauty By Nature

14. jessica says:

I was gifted the Rahua mask and well…it’s hard to say. My hair is almost 6 months post-partum so I am losing clumps of it, but it does look pretty shiny and somewhat thick still…but that could be that I’m cutting my ends quite blunt these days. Too many variables! I have to say that the scent is quite meh.