My MM: Siobhan’s Meatless Monday Menu

Name: Siobhan

Home: Brooklyn, NY

My dietary leanings: When I’m scanning a menu, the items I typically get the most excited about are the sides. I love vegetables! (I also love French fries.) As for restrictions, I’m Celiac, I don’t eat soy for health reasons and because I think it tastes bad, and I eat vegetarian approximately 80% of the time. When I eat animal protein, I go sustainable for fish and organic for everything else. I will, however, have a bite of just about anything off someone else’s plate.

My favorite vegetable: What kind of a person makes a girl choose her favorite vegetable?! My favorites include, but are not limited to, kale, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, fennel, broccoli rabe, tomatoes that actually taste like tomatoes (which is to say, August tomatoes), cauliflower, and carrots.

For breakfast…

I recently discovered that, at the Union Square farmer’s market here in New York, Our Daily Bread is selling gluten-free bread! They bake a few different kinds in a dedicated GF facility, and I like them all. The seedy whole grain loaf is my favorite; the caraway seed one comes in second. Today I had two slices toasted with a bunch of peanut butter and sliced banana. I also had a kale smoothie with the rest of the banana, some blueberries, and some unsweetened almond milk.

Then for lunch…

The best kind of leftovers. Last night I cooked for a friend and made a gigantic kale salad, among other things. The salad contains lacinto kale sliced into thin strips, salty marcona almonds roughly chopped, baby tomatoes, sliced fennel, shaved parmesan, dry-toasted pepitas, and carmelized cipollini onions. I hate peeling cipollinis, but it’s always worth it; they’re just so tasty.

My dressing was champagne vinegar (if you do not own any, go get some now—it’s life-changing), olive oil, pepper and a half teaspoon of Dijon. Because kale is so sturdy, this salad is even better the day after; the leaves don’t get soggy. This salad could be easily made vegan without the parmesan.

I’ll have a big bowl of that with two organic eggs on the side. When I get hungry around 4pm, as I invariably do, I’ll probably have some pistachios, or maybe an apple, or both.

For dinner, I’m planning on making…

Carrot ginger soup and some simple pasta (like the one shown). I have the simplest soup recipe and it wins every time: Stew some leeks in olive oil or butter on low heat until they’re transparent and slippery. This takes a while, but it’s worth it. In another pot, boil your carrots, chopped into inch-thick cubes so they cook faster. (If you prefer a silky-smooth soup, boil one small potato too.) Toss some raw ginger in the water while they soften.

Once the leeks are done, remove them. In the leek pan, toss in some more ginger, one clove of garlic and heat on low, being careful not to burn. Remove that, too, and put them in the bowl with the leeks. When the carrots are easily pierced with a knife, put them in a food processor without water, toss in the leeks and garlic and ginger, and blend until smooth. Use the carrot-cooking water to dilute your puree to desired consistency and add salt and pepper to taste.

Pro tip: I like to store the puree in the fridge without water. Then, when I want my next bowl, I put in a little water from the tap and heat it up.

In addition to my soup, I’ll have a bowl of corn pasta with a pile of vegetables. This is an easy weeknight dish that takes about 15 minutes to make, but tastes delicious. The noodles are from Italy, and the name escapes me (will add in the comments), but it’s my favorite gluten-free pasta, and it’s organic—and therefore non-GMO. I’ll heat up some garlic in a pan along with some more kale, some tomatoes, a handful of canned chickpeas, and some fennel. I’ll toss in and wilt some radichio right before I’m done cooking the other veggies. This whole process takes about 15 minutes. If I feel like it, I’ll sprinkle some nutritional yeast or parm on top. And voila!

And dessert…

Not a big dessert person! I may have a square of Wei of Chocolate in Infinite Love. And I’ll definitely have a glass or two of wine. Bon appétit!

(Writing this made me hungry. I hope it has the same effect on you.)

Comments
33 Responses to “My MM: Siobhan’s Meatless Monday Menu”

Love the use of fennel! I’m a big vinegar fan and love to try different ones. Coconut is my favorite, but I’m inspired to try the champagne vinegar. I’m not a pasta eater myself, but the corn pasta sounds interesting. My son is gluten free like me and he loves pasta, so I’ll look for that brand name in the comments.

2. Mia says:

Excuse my prying, but what are the health reasons for not eating soy? I feel there has been a lot of discussion about soy’s health effects, but haven’t seen any conclusive research as to why.

3. Siobhan says:

Hey Mia! I have thyroid disease and used to have some other hormonal imbalances that go with it. Because estrogen (and phytoestrogens) can mess with absorption of the synthetic thyroid hormone I take every day, I avoid it. I also noticed that I react poorly to soy lecithin, which is often in chocolate. I used to say who cares and eat things that contain it, but then I usually break out. I can’t prove it’s the soy lecithin, but since I noticed a connection and I hate breakouts, seems worth it for me.

4. lms says:

*crickets*

um, what happened to the mm makeover? i’m curious why you would ask for reader feedback, and then post about the usual green smoothie and salad. granted, you ate more than the average posts, but overall this is the same old, same old.

5. Siobhan says:

I could live without the cranky on this site! We post what people send us. Would love to see anyone else’s!

I wanted to share mine because a) I love to cook and share food b) I typically eat a lot of food in a given day, so that’s a break from form here, c) I have health related dietary restrictions so thought this might be inspiring to people with the same and d) since I usually cook for one (one!), that means finding 8 things to go with one head of kale before it goes bad.

6. Kate says:

Siobhan- I enjoyed this :) I’m new to living gluten free(I’ll come back for your pasta recommendation), normally cook for one, and appreciate the small things (like champagne vinegar) to add to my kale heavy diet.

I feel like the comments on here are like yelp reviews– only the EXTREMELY cranky and EXTREMELY thankful ever comment. Just remember there are lots of readers who appreciate mm menus they just don’t pipe up and say so.

SO thank you! !

7. lms says:

and look who’s calling who cranky:) and you really didn’t answer my question. isn’t responsible journalism about being open to feedback? listening to your readers? and no name calling?!

From my current position at the center of the universe, I can clearly see this site should only post about food and products that are vegan and gluten free, and don’t contain any EOs I’m sensitive to. If anything other than my exact preferences are posted, I cannot possibly see how it relates to me and I don’t want anyone else who may draw inspiration from it to enjoy it either.

Oh crap, I just broke my sarcasm meter : ( (and I think my dominant Bitcha dosha is showing, should have worn a slip – an organic cotton slip)

9. Emma B says:

I’m with you on that one, Siobhan. I think people have been way too sensitive about this. I sent in a menu with a lentil dhal this summer and it barely got any comments; I guess people could not find anything to complain about. It goes to show just how messed up our society really is about food. I mean, some people have smoothies for breakfast or lunch, big deal. It’s not a judgement on what others eat. You don’t like smoothies and salad? Then eat something else. A lot of us are fine with the MMs just the way they are. Thanks for sharing Siobhan.

10. Poo says:

Wow! At the risk of being called cranky, I’ll just say I was surprised to see today’s post. It is now really clear to me that this blog is moving away from beauty products and reviews which I love. The book will continue to be a resource but not this blog.

11. danielle says:

Siobhan, love this post! I eat very similar to you with the exception of the cheese. I adore cheese but am lactose intolerant. I don’t use any soy products with the exception of miso; South River Miso is my go to miso. As far as people unhappy about food posts, I wish they would remember that beauty starts from within. A great diet ( it varies from person to person) is the basis for great skin, clear eyes and healthy hair. The natural beauty products are just extras. I love hearing about what people eat. It gives me great ideas and I often learn about something new. Thanks for such a great blog!

12. Siobhan says:

@lms We definitely always want people’s feedback, no question. We take it seriously, and in between our day jobs and our freelance jobs and this site, which we do for free as a labor of love, we try to tend to the desires of our readers, too. We do what we can, in the time that we have. Some weeks that’s a lot. Some weeks, not to much. Today, I felt like sharing some recipes I think are really tasty and filling, so I did so. I’d love if you sent us yours, too.

We also ask, as we’ve said in the past, that people maintain the spirit of niceness and sharing that we’ve worked hard to cultivate on the site. The internet is full of people who bash each other. I don’t personally enjoy reading that kind of thing. But constructive feedback, with concrete suggestions on improvements? We’re all for hearing it.

13. therese says:

Keep rocking the meatless Mondays. I enjoy the inspirations and the reminder to try to follow a less meaty path. I too look forward to the pasta name as I have friends who are gluten intolerant and always try to accommodate. Ps I found Rebecca’s post on Thanksgiving and what to do very helpful in being aware of others issues.

14. danielle says:

I have used a organic gluten free corn pasta before by LeVeneziane, it is very good.

15. Diana says:

I’ve been eating gluten free for the past 3 months, (so much more energy now!) and while I am adapting well to gluten free breads and flours, the only thing I’m having trouble finding a tasty replacement for is pasta. (The gluten-free brands I have tried are such a poor imitation it’s saddening- the texture is all wrong and I’m always left wanting). Will definitely be checking back for that pasta brand name because that bowl of noodles looks too good to be true. It even LOOKS like gluten-filled pasta – that HAS to be a good indicator of tastiness, right? ;)

16. Yum! This all looks delicious, Siobhan. I noticed you have thyroid disease- have you tried Irish Moss? It’s great for thyroid health and digestive health, and has changed my world.

I can’t really see why anyone would take issue with this menu- it’s so healthful and tasty looking! Thanks for sharing.

17. Amanda says:

Wow! I have to say that I have also been a bit worried sometimes when I’ve read the MM posts, but I was happy to read this one for that reason! I am really, honestly, a big eater and I’m always stunned when I hear about people who \forget to eat sometimes\ or \never eat breakfast\ etc, but I do realize that people are very different when it comes to food. So I do appreciate variety in these posts, but I think this one added some. Hey, there’s both bread and pasta in here! I decided literally two days ago that I will stop eating meat and fish that are not from a source I can trust, which will mean almost exclusively vegetarian. Looking forward to more inspiration on Mondays to come!

18. Moksha says:

I thought this sounded like a great day’s food! (In fact, it sounds almost exactly like what I ate yesterday)!
    Perhaps the solution to all of the cranky dialogue is for people to simply share a single recipe for something they adore as opposed to the full day’s listing. Also, I would love to have the exact instructions and proportions on how to make a lot of the things mentioned and would be very happy to share a few of my recipes.

19. Rebecca Bailey says:

@Meghan, since you are into the Irish Moss, have you heard anything about the controversy around Irish Moss and carrageenan? I only read one piece about it and would love more info if you have any leads.

@therese, glad you found that post helpful!

20. Julie says:

Thanks so much for sharing this. I appreciate how this website acknowledges that beauty is based on the whole lifestyle, not just make up (even though I love the product reviews!).

I am not familiar with champagne vinegar and am going to try it out. Also, while I am not a big fan of kale, I think I’ll give it another try using your recipe.

Overall…love this website and all that you share!

21. Laura says:

I love hearing what people eat on a given day, and love these Meatless Monday posts! I enjoyed this one for the variety it brings to the series for sure, and think all the posts are a great reminder that what we put in our body is much more important than what we put on it! I also love reading the comments on every post, and am always inspired in the kind and patient way that many of the commenters respond to the more cranky among us… :)

22. kristy says:

I always enjoy reading the Meatless Monday posts but this one has been one of my favorites.
    My reason for loving this one, in particular, has absolutey nothing to do with the fact that your dessert is almost identical to mine…although, I do love my Wei of Chocolate and a glass of wine after a long day of work ;) Thank you for sharing, Siobhan!

23. Kate says:

Love this, Siobhan!

As a GF pasta addict (Addict!!!), I wonder… do you recommend any brands that aren’t corn or rice? I’m dying for a wonderful quinoa pasta or something, as corn is a disaster for me (GMO or not) and I’m trying to phase rice out.

Any lovely readers have some recommendations out there?

Also. KALE. I love it. Thanks for this! :)

24. Mimi says:

I’ve been a daily reader and an occasional commenter since the inception of this website and I can write, hands down, that this has been a truly enjoyable post to read. I love your honesty and integrity, Siobahn (and Alexandra & Rebecca!), and l totally appreciate your approach to all things beauty.
    Keep on rocking it out, no more %^&*( dirty looks indeed!!

25. Silvy says:

three hurrahs for august tomatoes!! i’m about to have breakfast, and bread w/pb + banana and a smoothie sound amazing!

26. @Rebecca Bailey great Q and I’m glad you asked. Carageenan IS an awful thing when processed, it becomes a human carcinogen- though it is actually a derivative of Irish Moss and is completely harmless in it’s natural state. I wrote a blog post about the “Carageenan conspiracy”, if you want more information on that! Bottom line though- as you would with most foods, avoid processed!

27. Nancy says:

I’m so thankful for this site ..(for me it came before the book)and for all I’ve learned from it. It doesn’t go one day without me learning something or getting an idea to try something new.
    I really appreciate all the work you put in here and grateful for all the commenters that I’ve found to be extremely nice and helpful.
    The politeness found here cannot go unnoticed either.

28. Alexandra says:

@Kate and others who are GF—if you have a Trader Joe’s in your town, you have to try their brown rice pasta. It’s ah-mazing. Kate, I know you were asking for non-rice recs but this is just one of the best pastas I’ve had in general, and I’m not GF!

@Meghan, I was figuring it would be as you say, but I hadn’t gotten around to looking into it. Good to hear the whole food is good, but try to break foods down into their component pieces and problems arise. I will check out your post for more info. We just don’t know better than mother nature, got to accept that!

30. Beth says:

@ Kate, GogoQuinoa makes a pasta that is quite nice. The one I like is the white rice and quinoa one and I can’t remember if they make a just quinoa version but I bet the website will tell you.

@Meghan, I’m enjoying your blog (and your nut sacks are spectacular).

32. Carrie says:

I actually really enjoyed this post. It gave me a few recipe ideas that are not overly complicated and that require the use of some of my favorite healthy foods! I’ve found few beauty websites that hold the view that what you put in your body is just as important as what you put on your body. Please continue with posts like this!

33. Anne says:

Siobhan – loved this post. I will definitely try making pasta like you do. It sounds fantastic. I love the Meatless Monday menus, but I do miss the product reviews. They’re so helpful and provide information I can’t get anywhere else. That being said, I know you guys have lives outside of this blog, and I really appreciate the work you put into it for your readers! Given that access to all this information you post is FREE, I can’t imagine why anyone would think they have the right to demand certain types of posts from you guys.

P.S. I will be in New York the week after Christmas. Any suggestions for clean-beauty stores and healthy, gluten-free restaurants that I should check out while I’m there?