My MM: Katie’s Meatless Monday Menu

Um, yum. This meatless menu from Katie has its Berkeley roots written all over it. Fresh figs, raw honey, domestic feta, homegrown squash, and wine… SIGN. US. UP. Happy MM!

Name:  Katie

Hometown:  Berkeley, CA

My Dietary Leanings:  Conscientious Omnivore, adjusting to recent Celiac diagnosis

My favorite vegetable: Equal love to all, seriously, but if pressed any of the Brassica oleracea.

Editor’s side note: The brassica we chose for the pic is called Romanesco broccoli and its been showing up in our farm boxes. Who knows what to do with it?

This morning I ate…

Nancy’s plain whole milk yogurt with raw honey and warm egyptian licorice tea. I have to admit that I never eat before I arrive at work, and some mornings find me at my desk with an apple and soy chai filtering through the weekend emails. I really struggle with weekday breakfasts…

Then for lunch…

It’s persimmon season! An arugula salad with lots of peeled jiro persimmons, crushed raw walnuts, and a vinaigrette of lemon juice, finely diced preserved meyer lemons (they’re fabulous and so simple to make), and cold pressed olive oil.

Finally, for dinner I’m planning on making…

Squash enchiladas! I’ve modified Diana Kennedy’s mole negro over the years and make large batches on weekends to use during the week. Tonight’s enchiladas will be filled with roasted home grown delicata squash mashed with more Nancy’s yogurt and some domestic feta, wrapped with whole corn tortillas, and smothered with the mole. I’ll serve them with lightly sauteed cavalo nero from the garden.

And dessert…

Some fresh figs, and a glass or two of wine.

Comments
22 Responses to “My MM: Katie’s Meatless Monday Menu”
  1. poo says:

It’s nice to see some variation in this menu. And I love romanesco broccoli! You just chop it up into smaller, um, shapes, and saute with garlic and olive oil. It tastes like a cross between cauliflower and broccoli, which I believe it is.

2. Lilly says:

I love eating plain whole milk yogurt with raw honey, I just add some bananas to it, and it is actually my favorite night-time snack! I hope that your transition to your new diet won’t be too hard!!

Figs and wine…I must try that combo!

4. Katie says:

If your diet permits cheese and eggs, I highly recommend Mollie Katzen’s Cauliflower Cheese Pie recipe from her original Moosewood Cookbook. My dad made it for the family as we grew up and I now modify it to also include, broccoli, broccoli rabe, romanesco, and sometimes kale (with wild mushrooms).

5. Moksha says:

The dinner and all the other options sound wonderful! With that said, I always feel like I need to eat about 4 times as much food as what is presented in these Monday menus. Perhaps it is because I am one of those slim people that burns everything off just by humming, but really…don’t others need more food than this as well?

6. susan says:

i very much agree with Moksha!

7. Alexandra says:

@Susan @Moksha Food quantities are like diets themselves, I think everyone is really different in this regard. :)

8. Shannon says:

I agree with Moksha….I am a super healthy eater myself, but these Monday menus look like a series of snacks (except maybe the enchilada dinner in this case). I will say though that this is one is a lot better than the green juice menus I’ve seen previously…

9. Emma B says:

As someone mentioned in a former MM discussion, without portion sizes it’s hard to judge whether it’s an adequate food intake. For example, if I ate a salad with about a cup of nuts for lunch, and 2-3 enchiladas in the evening, I would feel very satisfied.

I absolutely love delicata squash! They were definitely the best discovery from my CSA basket.
    Any chance you could post that mole recipe? Thanks Katie!

10. poo says:

@Moksha and Shannon—I agree. @ Alexandra—it has been pointed out repeatedly that the MM posts are always pretty meager.

11. Alexandra says:

@Poo Yes, I don’t disagree that many of the menus do seem meager. But I also think we can assume that people aren’t necessarily recording everything they put in their mouths? The menus are meant as inspiration for trying new and different vegetarian foods — I just don’t want contributors to feel judged here. Food is an incredibly personal, and sticky, topic to begin with. Perhaps posting menus is too controversial to begin with? What do you guys think?

I believe that one can only judge how much food is the “right” amount for oneself. If I look at a particular menu, I might think, “wow, that’s a lot of food,” or “that doesn’t seem like enough.” But I’m only judging that relative to my own metabolism and preferences. How can I know from a day’s menu how tall or how active someone else is? There’s no way to know, based on these posts, if it is “enough” food for that person. I assume that if someone posts a menu, that’s food that they enjoy in portions that suit their bodies. I can use the menu to get inspired (as Alexandra mentioned) and modify for my own needs. I don’t want to put negativity on any people that have shared their menus – it’s not fun or helpful to have the way you eat criticized by someone who is looking at a tiny snapshot of how you eat.

I hope that the possibility of criticism wouldn’t stop people from wanting to post their menus. I think this is an interesting and fun part of this blog’s community.

13. nancy says:

@ Alexandra, why not changing from MMMenus to MMfavorite recipe? This way NMDL would not deprive us of ideas while pleasing everyone concerned with meager food consumption… No more controversy:)

14. poo says:

Thanks for opening this up for further discussion. I interpret these MM posts as what people eat on Mondays. It’s set up as “I ate this for breakfast, lunch and dinner”, so why would we assume people are eating a ton of food and not stating it? I am not trying to judge here, but it is really not inspiring to hear how little people eat. There also seems to be a subtle and silent competition to eat less and less every week.

Maybe having people share a recipe or two of their favorite veggie meal would be a better idea? Or suggesting a random veggie and then having people share their favorite way to cook it. As it has been stated before, hearing about green smoothie after green smoothie gets really monotonous.

15. Katie says:

I’ve finally been able to dig up an online version of one of Kennedy’s mole recipes: http://eat.at/swap/forum1/191779_Hole_Mole_this_was_good_REC_Diana_Kennedy%27s_Mole_Poblano_I_have_wanted_t Although the book is beautiful and I would hope that those interested would seek out a copy. As you can see, mole is a time consuming process. I can say this, once familiar with the construction of the sauce, modifications become much easier (I sometimes use dates instead of raisins, seasonally my chiles change, I sub olive oil for lard, etc).

A note on portion size to follow-up Alexandra’s last post: In fact, my MM contribution is a record of what I ate that day. I do struggle to make time while I work to consume anything (and made note of that too), but all dishes listed can be substantial both in ingredients and portion size. And I chose to contribute precisely because I felt that all of the sharing of juicing is great, but not reflective of how I eat. Food and it’s consumption may be a controversial issue, but this is a community built upon sharing information about many sticky and dirty subjects. I vote carry on.

16. Amy says:

I like the idea of meatless monday recipe sharing. it seems that recipe requests are usually in the comments anyway.

I see where people are coming from with the meager meals, but it’s also hard to judge base on the information given. I don’t think we can really tell what size portions people are eating here, and everyone is different.

17. chiara says:

Poo had it right: the romanesco is very good sautéed. You can also chop it in bigger chunks and boil it, then add some salt, olive oil and a drop of lemon, and eat it as a side. Or, you can sauté it and make pasta with it.If you eat cheese, you can add some pecorino romano cheese.

18. Lms says:

Again with the portion size debate. the Monday posts veer very close to thinspo blogs in my opinion.

Let’s try recipes only.

19. eva says:

I’m so glad this is being discussed. For me PERSONALLY the MM menues have always been way, way too little food and while they’re inspiring they always, always leave me thinking “yes, but what would I eat for the REST of the day?”. But I’m guessing that they are just fine for the readers who post them and I can’t and won’t say anything about anybody else’s diet and calorie needs because I don’t know their health and their body. But for me they’ve never worked.

I think the problem is two-fold: First, a lack of diversity – the MM are sort of a bit the same – I have read them all and not ONCE have I thought “Oh, that sounds like a daily intake that would work for me” . The second is that nothing on this site takes place in a cultural vacuum. And personally (again, I am only talking for myself here), *I* am personally more than a little worried about some aspects of the culture surrounding health, clean living, women, yoga and fitness. That of course happens in a context of a wider, pretty relentless focus on women’s bodies in general.

I don’t really even know how to put my finger on it, precisely. But I’m talking about this idea that we’re defined more by what we don’t eat ,than what we do eat. The idea that a cup of green tea is living it up. That if we abstain enough and work hard enough (at relaxing) we will eventually be Clean and Relaxed. That the NEXT fantastic product is just around the corner. And so is the next superfood. And to me, personally, it just becomes So Much Noise after a while. So much tastefully off-white, plinkety-plink, subtly lavender-scented kale-shaped noise. And I even LIKE both kale and lavender. But , I, again, this is only my sense of it, do detect something almost puritanical about this whole aesthetic surrounding a lot the culture. And it makes me reach for my (pastured) bacon, every time. So I’m just happy to see that I’m not the only one who’s more hungry

20. Chloe says:

I’m an active woman, a foodie, and I’m petite. I can honestly say I could eat in one sitting what people are posting as their daily menus. As mentioned, there are lots of blogs and websites where people are pro-anorexia and pro-thin, seeking support and advice on how to maintain an unhealthy weight….and these Monday posts are heading in a dangerous direction by inviting people to post what they ate in one day, and then defending what they ate. It’s only sparking more controversy.

If “The menus are meant as inspiration for trying new and different vegetarian foods”, it’s really missing the mark. I’m not sure how many vegetables there are in the world, but surely more than what we use in salads and smoothies. Posting recipes sounds more in line with the goal. Rutabaga, anyone?

21. Rebecca Bailey says:

I hope S & A keep the Meatless Monday posts going. From my understanding, the concept of Meatless Monday predates this blog by several years. It’s about one way of focusing on health – our own personal health and the health of the earth. It seems that we are all bringing our own issues to the table, literally and figuratively, that have sent these posts in a direction not really related to the MM concept overall. But I do really like the idea of this community being part of the bigger Meatless Monday picture, and I think the original meaning of MM fits the blog.

I also hope that more people contribute to MM, especially the people who feel their way of eating has not been represented adequately by the posts that have appeared so far.

22. Emma says:

I agree with recipes vs menus.

I always wonder how the contributors survive on such sparse diets and it makes me feel a bit self-conscious that I am not taking good enough care of my body. Because inevitably, I compare myself to what I read.