Elizabeth’s Morning Skin And Hair Routine… Exposed!

Meet Elizabeth and her parakeets, Blanche and Spencer. For such a young gal, she sounds like she’s got a lot figured out. Unsolved mysteries? A deodorant that works (that she’s not allergic to), and a concealer that truly conceals dark circles. The floor is yours for recommendations, friends.

Name: Elizabeth

Age: 22

Current weather: You know, 70 degrees one day and snowing the next….Pure Michigan.

Hair:  Chest length, Asian

Skin:  Medium with almost no breakouts, dark circles

Favorite star or icon from the past:  I’m not really into celebrities but here’s a picture of my beloved parakeets Blanche and Spencer.

In the shower…

After slathering my face in raw Michigan honey, I step into the shower.  I wash my hair with Giovanni Root 66 Max Volume shampoo, which I buy in a huge liter pump bottle at my local TJ Maxx for super cheap and it lasts me about 9 months.  I wash my underarms, bits, and feet with 100% Pure’s Meyer Lemon Butter Soap.  Rinse.  Then I stand in the shower for a minute and gently squeeze the excess water out of my hair.

Outside the shower…

I instantly put Alba Botanica’s Original Unscented Lotion on my face and body after toweling off.  Then I make a side part in my hair and brush my teeth with Burt’s Bees Whitening Fluoride-free Toothpaste.  If I’m in a rush, I blow dry my hair; on leisurely days, I let my hair air dry as I sloth around the house.  If my husband is still sleeping, I usually get back in bed and cuddle him for a few minutes.  Then I drink a glass of water or make matcha green tea.

Finishing touches…

Makeup-wise, I focus on concealing my dark circles, defining my lips with a little color, and contouring my cheeks.

I’ve been looking for a magical concealer to make my dark circles disappear and I’m pretty it doesn’t exist.  Among the ones I’ve tried, Mineral Fusion performs the best for me.  It’s probably that I need to get to the source of my dark circles – allergies and lifestyle.

I line my lips with 100% Pure’s Perfect Naked Pink lip pencil which is a “my lips but better” natural pink shade for me.  Then I apply cocoa powder with an EcoTools Blush Brush to contour my cheekbones.  I tend to not wear mascara but when I do it’s 100% Pure Black Tea Mascara or geoGIRL Featherlash Mascara in Grey.  I appreciate 100% Pure’s great ingredients and blueberry scent but it flakes and smudges on me while geoGIRL’s is cheap, available at my local grocery, largely smudge-proof, and extremely natural looking even though the ingredients aren’t quite so clean.

The air is now pretty dry so I spritz my hair with a mixture of aloe juice and Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat conditioner to keep static at bay.  On special occasions, I dab on a few drops of Intelligent Nutrients’ 100% Pure Sambac Jasmine Absolute which I use sparingly from a sample vial.  Oh, and I’m searching for an effective deodorant.  Lavanila mysteriously stopped working on me after about a month of happy usage and I had an allergic reaction to Soapwalla.  Right now I’m using a crystal deodorant, which is just okay.

At night…

I wash my face with warm water and a washcloth, making sure to avoid my forehead since unnecessary exfoliation causes skin to overproduce oil and be plasticy-shiny. Then I put on more raw honey, brush my teeth, rinse off the honey, and put on a light layer of the Alba Botanica lotion.  Lastly, I apply Petite Threla’s Jasmine Lip Balm which smells like pure luxury!

Comments
22 Responses to “Elizabeth’s Morning Skin And Hair Routine… Exposed!”
  1. Silvy says:

I gotta try this washing your face with honey thing!
    For deo, if you haven’t tried Weleda Rose, it’s the only thing that works for me! It’s expensive, but some days I skip it entirely and just do coconut oil, which also works quite well if you’re not going to be exercising or anything.

2. fern says:

Bubble and Bee has oodles of deodorant and Stephanie (the owner) is great at helping you find the right scent for your body chemistry. Bubble and Bee also makes my favorite body butter and lip balms. They are so. awesome.

3. Katie says:

I also have a problem with dark under eye circles. Lately I’ve been using Eminence Wild Plumb eye cream that is specific for under eye circles. I’ve been using it for a few months now and I really think it has made a difference. I follow it up with W3LL People’s narcissist concealer that I find works great on my dark circles. Hope that helps!

Oh, Michigan. I do not miss it. I like Elizabeth’s combo of products and the use of honey!

Almost eliminating my allergies through changes in diet (vegan, raw, nothing processed) has drastically reduced my lifelong look of having been punched in both eyes. For what’s left, Alima Pure’s foundation is the perfect cover for dark circles as well as any blemishes (applied with their #3 concealer brush). I think it’s important for those of us with circles covering with mineral makeup to use a brush that won’t make irritation worse – many people are sensitive to animal hair brushes.

I’m a 100% Pure fan too, especially the lip pencil.

Regarding deodorant, I love my DIY posted here in the comments: http://nomoredirtylooks.com/2012/04/emmas-morning-hair-and-skin-routine-exposed/#comments
    But, if there’s a problem with using baking soda, I’d recommend just coconut oil with a couple drops of lavender or another EO that is antibacterial.

5. poo says:

Those parakeets are too cute!

Have you tried Jane Iredale active light under-eye concealer? I think it works well.

6. Amy says:

I’ve used both Rebecca and Holly’s DIY deodorant recipes (in the link Rebecca posted above). I think I like them both equally. I’ve noticed after a few months of using DIY I actually sweat less, and I rarely smell even after a work out. Sometimes the baking soda can be a bit drying for me, but I’ve found if I put a small bit of coconut oil in my pits first, then apply the deodorant, it cures any dryness. I definitely prefer the DIY recipes to any other natural deodorants I’ve tried.

LOVE honey and those birds are so adorable!

7. Jennifer says:

Since I don’t like the gritty feeling of the dry ingredients in most DIY deodorants, I use a coconut and shea butter moisturizing stick that I got from Basa Body. Never have a problem with oder and in the summer I top it with a bit of body powder to absorb moisture. I’ve started using a more traditional DIY deodorant with arrow root and baking soda on my feet in the morning and the coconut stick at night to combat the rather unladylike foot odor I get in the winter. It’s working, but it probably work better if I can figure out a way to deodorize my shoes!

8. Tracey says:

I used to use that Alba Botanical lotion too, but they changed the ingredients and it now makes me break out. So frustrating. Anyone know of a good, inexpensive unscented lotion? I use coconut oil for my body but it doesn’t work for my face.

9. Ann says:

Elizabeth, for under-eye circles try the Silk Naturals Sleep in a Jar concealers. They have yellow, extra light peach, light peach, and medium. This is something that truly works wonders!

10. Amy says:

@Jennifer – Lately I’ve been putting 3-5 drops of essential oils (usually lavender or orange) in my flats before I wear them and it helps with the gross odor that seems unavoidable when I don’t wear socks. I also put baking soda in an old pair of pantyhose (cut the leg off and tie a knot at the top) and put it in my shoes at night to absorb any odor. Both seem to be helping!

11. Nancy says:

I’ll second suggestions to try a DIY concotion for your pits. Many of us who developed the infamous
    ed angry pits reaction with Soapwalla resorted to making our owns, without regrets.
    And just as Amy mentioned , it does seem that with time one sweat less . A warning though, on shaving days, skip the deo and go for a layer of coconut oil.
    Love your pets;)

12. Meghan says:

My new favorite concealer is from an Etsy shop called Oh Sudz. It blends well but magically stays where you want it to, with great staying power! So great :) Good luck!

13. Lilly says:

I love how you use honey everyday to wash your face! Do you ever mix it with cinnamon? It is very beneficial to oily/acne-prone skin!

14. Jennifer says:

@Amy, thanks for the suggestion. I might take it one step further and mix tea tree or peppermint with the baking soda “balls”. Great idea!!

@Jennifer, I use a mineral/crystal spray in my shoes after I take them off. Those sprays don’t work for me well on armpits, but are great for foot odor. I use the unscented now, but peppermint is a great deodorizer too. I also use the spray on the foot part of my tights so I can get a few wearings before washing.

16. Liz says:

@Tracy, Have you tried Argan oil? I used to use 100% Pure’s argan oil face moisturizer btu they upped the SPF which made it greasy.

After I shower, I take 3 or 4 little drops of John Masters Organics argan oil, spread it on my fingers, then slap it on my face (wakes me up a bit, too), not really rubbing it in but making sure my whole face gets a kiss of argan. Then I rub the leftover on my hands into my hair.

I’ll go back to an SPF once winter’s over, but I have loved plain argan oil!

17. Tracey says:

I do use Acure argan oil. It’s great but for some reason sometimes I just want some lotion! Or maybe I’m just a product junkie.. Thanks for the tip.

18. Michele says:

The All Natural Face concealer in Midas, followed by Earth’s Beauty concealer. Does the trick.

19. Jennifer says:

@Rebecca, where do you get the spray that you use? Thanks for the advice.

@Jennifer, I buy it at Whole Foods or other local natural foods places. I think the Crystal brand is popular enough it may even be in regular grocery/drug stores. There’s another brand I use too, called Naturally Fresh. The brands are all equal as far as I’m concerned – I just get what’s available. And there are some labeled as foot spray, but it’s no different from the ones you’ll find in the underarm deodorant aisle. Just a note, if the stink is already there it may take a few treatments to work best, but when used regularly no stink will develop at all. Good luck!

21. Megan says:

I am looking into switching to Giovanni’s root 66 shampoo/conditioner, but on a few other blogs I’ve seen where the ingredients listed on the site are not what’s really on the bottle. Supposedly, there are toxic ingredients in this product that claims to be all natural. Have you noticed this? I was planning on ordering root 66 online but after reading all the reviews on it I’m kind of scared!

22. Elizabeth says:

Megan, I’ve kind of wondered if Giovanni is as clean as it seems but I haven’t heard anything about the ingredients list being different from the one on the bottle. I hope it’s not true! Overall, I it’s the best shampoo I’ve used long-term although I wouldn’t recommend it for those with dry hair as it definitely does not provide any moisturization. I only tried the Root 66 conditioner one or twice so I can’t say how well it works.