Do You Deep Condition?

Among the strange and regrettable things that I did to my hair between the ages of, oh, 12 and 30, were semi-regular VO5 Hot Oil Treatments. Who among you remembers this deep-conditioning concoction? Just for laughs, I pulled up the ingredient list (which probably hasn’t changed in 30 years)—and Oof…

Water (Aqua), Cocotrimonium Chloride, Acetamide MEA, Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf Juice, Hydroxyethylcellulose, PEI 1750, Oleth 20, Propylene Glycol, Methylparaben, Disodium EDTA, Polyquaternium 10, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Vegetable Amino Acids, Lysine Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Phytantriol, Polysorbate 20, Keratin Amino Acid, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, PG Propylsilanetriol, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Panthenol, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Niacinamide, Biotin (Vitamin H), Fragrance (Parfum), Linalool, Benzyl Salicylate, Yellow 6 Aluminum Lake (CI 15985) (CI 15985)

I’m not sure what shocks me more 1) the fact that there’s not really any oil listed, or 2) that there’s actually aloe vera high up on this otherwise unpronounceable list.

Anyways, I used to love warming that little bendy plastic bottle (itself likely filled with BPA and phthalates) in scolding water, and then pour the stuff all over my sopping wet head. From there, on went a plastic bag for minutes (hours?) of sitting, as this stuff seeped into my young and vulnerable brain scalp. Le sigh. While I have no recollection as to whether this treatment had any effects beyond placebo, I did love the idea of deep conditioning my hair—a ritual I’ve lost sight of in my cleaner years.

Unfortunate really, since deep conditioning was made for my type of dry unruly hair. You’d think I’d be soaking up the argan and coconut oil on a nightly basis, and yet as much as I love natural oils everywhere on my face and body—I actually despise the feeling and results of oil in my hair. Note: I’m not talking about a little argan on the tips, which I do like, but a full oil soak like they give you during those otherwise amazing ayurvedic massages I rave about. Anyways, I’m getting to a point here I swear!

See, a little while back a reader asked—nay begged!—that we crowdsource on this very topic. Lindsey, you see, is trying to grow her hair long, and desperate for your tips on how to get beautiful shiny, conditioned hair sans the chems. Which got me thinking: I wouldn’t mind some recommendations myself.

What I do know, Lindsey, is that washing less—or almost not at all—can seriously improve hair luster for some. Though depending on the nature of your hair it can also turn it to a greasy mess for a period. Otherwise I’m a big believer in eating healthy fats for skin and hair.

What about you guys? Are we deep conditioning? Are we using oils, or just leaving in our favorite natural conditioner for a spell—maybe making our own mix with avocados?

Comments
43 Responses to “Do You Deep Condition?”
  1. Michelle says:

My hair is curly and can be dry at times. I noticed, however, ever since I started taking multi vitamans, fish oil, and drinking LOTS of water my hair has grown significantly! (And my hair grows as fast as a tortoise runs.) I also stopped using shampoo 3 months ago, only washing with conditioner every 3 days.

2. Lauren says:

I too love the natural oils on my face and body, but prefer they not touch my hair. I always end up with flat, greasy looking hair when I try that route. I have long fine hair in a very dry climate. most conditioners leave me a tangly mess. My absolute hands down favorite products for hair are by John Masters. My scalp and hair have never been happier. Not cheap, but each time I stray I regret it. I use the citrus neroli or bare un scented detangler/conditioner (no difference between the two other than scent) on a daily basis. The intensive conditioner from the JM line is a great treatment. I stock up when Whole Foods or another place has the line on sale. Totally worth it to me!

3. madelene says:

I use Kevin Murphy shampoo and conditioner and every other time i shampo i use the hair mask. I blowdry my hair instantly for just a minute and then let it airdry. but before all of this i put on argan oil (not in the head) on dry hair and then i get in the shower and put on an organic aloe vera conditioner so the shampo wont take so much off the oil in my scalp and hair. I have curly,strait hair and i love my hair now. I have been struggeling and feeling out of place but now my hair has seem to calm down. I dont know what to do without the argan oil. it is so magic. M

4. amy says:

I just started using Acure conditioner and I’m completely in love. My hair used to get flat and greasy if I conditioned more than once a week, but I can use Acure daily and it keeps my hair fluffy and super soft and shiny.

I’ve also tried a mixture of a mashed avocado with a bit of olive oil for deep conditioning. My hair tends to get too greasy at the roots and falls flat if I over condition, but I can imagine avocado being perfect for thicker curly hair. It made my hair incredibly soft, but my roots did get too greasy. However after doing the avocado condition, then washing the next day, the following day my hair was amazing.

5. Alexandra says:

@Lauren Same, flat and greasy. And since I don’t usually wash, it’s kind of hellish. Though last time I had oil put in my hair I did shampoo (repeatedly).

6. Katie says:

I have curly hair and I also have used EVOO in my hair which left it greasy. It took 3 soaks of baking soda and ACV to get it all out, so I prefer no oils in my hair. Avocados would probably work but they are too yummy that I prefer to eat them and not use in my hair.

7. Sara says:

I have curly, dry hair (so dry that I recently had 4 inches cut off because I was no longer able to comb through it). I love Acure shampoo and conditioner, but the conditioner isn’t deep enough for me to use exclusively. If I have two hours to spare I’ll slap on some coconut oil to deep condition, but usually I rely on Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Mask for daily conditioning (clean ingredients, smells nice, and it’s sold at CVS so it’s easy to get!). I never brush my hair when it’s dry, but I make sure to detangle it with a wide-tooth comb in the shower after the conditioner’s soaked in for a few minutes.

8. Ny says:

“my hair grows as fast as a tortoise runs” I actually LOL’d at this! Besides that, my natural black hair doesn’t get oily, so I wash once a week. Since I’ve been “clean” my hair seems to grow longer and thicker, but softer, every week. I love deep conditioning and my hair really responds to it. I have a pre-poo deep conditioning routine. A natural masque mixed with a natural conditioner to thin it out then mix in a bit of oil, anything from grapeseed, jojoba, argan, castor and the list goes on. I slather that on and leave it for a few hours as I do stuff around the house. Then I shampoo once and deep condition on the flip side with an undiluted masque. I find that I need conditioners without protein every so often so I’m not overloaded and my hair doesn’t get brittle.

9. Katy says:

I have a lot of mildly wavy hair, it is about half way between my bra strap and my natural waist. I use the Acure argan shampoo once or twice a week and the conditioner on my ends (about ears down). I wash my hair at the beginning of my shower and let the conditioner sit on the hair while I do everything else. I try to only wash my hair twice a week maximum. Sunday night, so it is fresh for the work week, then again during the weekend if I need to look fresh, if not, I just put it in braids and stuff for the last day or two until I wash it again Sunday night. I use 2-3 drops Silktage’ from ears down when I style and it does a lovely job of protecting my hair from heat. Better than any of the dirty products I used before. One of the wonderful things about it (other than the fact that it is just oils) is that it doesn’t weigh my hair down or make my hair need washing more often like the dirty products did. I think drying my hair with Silktage’ actually makes my style last longer and allows me to wash less, which my hair likes :)

Before I went clean I was a nut for hot olive oil treatments in my hair, I remember looking at my hair in the mirror and craving them. Since going clean (It’s been long enough now that none of my hair has seen a dirty shampoo…YAY) I never think about adding an oil treatment, it just seems messy and silly, my hair no longer needs it.

Silktage’ : http://emtagehair.com/

For occasional deep conditioning my standard is plain coconut oil, left on as long as possible and then shampoo. This did wonders for my damage/frizz issues even before I switched from conventional dye to henna. When I had damage, I was doing this every few days, and as my hair got better I tapered off. I use it maybe once every several weeks now.

I’ve also tried a shea/aloe mix that I haven’t perfected yet. I got the idea from curlynikki.com and there’s a great page of recipes over there that I may try one day: http://www.curlynikki.com/2010/09/homemade-product-recipes.html

11. Pepper says:

The only oil I can rub into my scalp is jojoba. Since it’s not as “oily” it washes out better. (Didn’t some ancient crew of ladies (Mayans?) massage their scalps with jojoba oil to make their hair grow?)

My shampoos only last me 2 days before my hairline gets oily and my hair starts to smell like…hair. So not shampooing every other day isn’t really for me. My hair is actually kind of dry though, as is my skin, so I have to condition it really well. I use a good conditioner (Acure, the argan oil one, or IN Harmonics) and comb it through my hair after I shampoo, roll it into a bun & clip it up and let it soak in during my whole shower & rinse it out last. So it’s sort of a deep conditioning treatment, especially if I pop a shower cap on it.

12. Ann says:

Has anyone tried Zen Hair products? http://simplyzenhairproducts.co.uk/simply-zen-hair-products.html http://www.zencareusa.com/ZenCare/ProductList.asp It seems like they’re supposed to be good, and natural; has anyone tried these?
    @Katy, never heard of Silktage, but it looks like something worth trying!

13. Autumn says:

I suffer from psoriasis – especially on my scalp and rubbing oils onto my scalp (usually what I have around – coconut, jojoba, olive oil, and/or grapeseed with a drop of lavender oil) has helped tremendously. Then I comb it through so my hair gets the benefits from the oil as well. Then I just wash with The Body Deli shampoo + conditioner and I don’t feel like my scalp is crazy dry/itchy/unbearable. I have very thick hair so I’ve never had to worry too much about it getting greasy although I imagine if you have thinner hair that might be a concern.

14. Mary says:

I love the thought of hot oil, and as a teenager I was also addicted to using the VO5! These days, I use Josie Maran’s Argan Hot Oil Self-Heating Hair Treatment. It’s fantastic and makes my frizzy and fine hair soft and more sleek.

15. Victoria says:

I am very lucky that I have pretty well conditioned hair (especially because as you age you lose luster and shine) I think I can contribute that to never having colored my hair, but during the cold and harsh Chicago winters I do like to deep condition, more for the health of my scalp than my hair. Just like Alexandra those VO5 Hot Oil treatments were all the rage in my house. My Mom was a hair stylist when I was a kid and she’d bring these home and experiment on me and my two sisters! (I’m sending her that list of poison in my Christmas card this year. Maybe she’ll feel guilty and add an extra present under the tree.) I like to use our Bohemia Verde Aromatic Hair Elixir and mix a little honey with apple cider vinegar and warm it up and massage my scalp with the warm treatment before combing it through my hair. It rinses off like gold and keeps my natural curls stay full!

Bohemia Verde isn’t too heavy and it contains, argan, avocado, camellia, olive, and coconut oils and scented with pure jasmine, black pepper, and rose geranium, that’s it! The honey I use is regular local honey (I save my more rare and expensive manuka for facial treatments) and I add 1/4 part honey to 1/4 organic apple cider vinegar to 1/2 part of Bohemia Verde. You ladies that buy our hair product need to try this for a healthy scalp and a nice shine. I leave it in my hair while I watch 60 Minutes or Homeland about an hour, then rinse out. My honey boo boo puts up with all this craziness because I look kinda cute later and there’s no other choice.

16. Amber says:

I’m very sporadic about deep conditioning, but should probably do it more often. I have big loose curls mixed with some tighter ringlets, and my hair is pretty fine, but there is a TON of it. I did the no-poo cleansing for a few years, but then switched back to sulfate free natural shampoos. I can’t use argan oil…I have migraines and certain smells are triggers for me, argan (a few floral essential oils and any commercial fragrance) is one of those. So sad!

My favorite conditioner so far is Too Shea! Extra Moisturizing Conditioner, from http://www.jessicurl.com. Love it! The citrus-lavender version is wonderful (no migraines!), and you can get it in another scent (don’t remember what that is), as well as unscented. She also has a deep treatment, that I’ve not tried, but it might be worth checking out. And her products come in multiple sizes: sample, 2 oz, 8 oz, 32 oz with a pump, or a gallon if you want to save on packaging. I think the gallon comes with a smaller empty bottle and you just refill that, as needed.

I’ve also used plain shea butter, coconut oil or jojoba oil slathered on dry hair, put up in a bun, sleep on it overnight, and wash it out the next morning. All of them worked really well for me…if only I’d do them more often.

17. Kimberly says:

I have very thick wavy to curly dry hair that can be pretty hard to manage. Acure, JM, etc. aren’t intense enough so I am using a concoction I started using on dry skin. I use these once a week and the softness, shine, and manageability of my cranky hair. It consists of rosehip, sea buckthorn, pomegranate, Tamanu, pumpkin seed, and a few essential oils. If your hair is fine, it might be too much but if your hair is parched, it’s worth a try.

18. Kate says:

I’m surprised that nobody has brought this up: BANANA!

While some people keep brown bananas around to make banana bread, I keep them around to make a weekly hair mask. It’s super conditioning and really easy:

One banana
    Coconut milk or whole, organic cow’s milk (anything with lots of fat!)
    Honey (optional; I only do this in the summer, as honey is a humectant and can dry your hair out when it’s dry outside)

Blend all ingredients really, really well (no teeny chunks of banana!) and spread into hair. I’m pretty liberal with it! Wrap your hair up in a shower cap and hang out for as long as you can. If you have leftovers, it’s really nice on your face!

Rinse out, and run some of your favourite clean conditioner through. Shampoo the next morning (don’t skip this!).

For two or three shampoos after I do this (so… six or seven days), my curls are more defined, my hair is shiny and strong, and I get so many compliments!

I don’t recommend this method if you’re a no-poo gal, though!

For more info on bananas for your hair:

19. Jennifer says:

My hair is baby fine, varies in texture from wavy to ringlets with a tendency to frizz, about bra strap length and there is a lot of it. Sometimes I feel like a chia pet, just add moisture and my hair grows to the point that I look like I have a cotton ball on my head. I have used all kinds of techniques on my hair from the worst of the dirty brands (does anyone remember Flex?) to nothing but water and coconut oil. It’s been my experience that nothing works consistently and what works great today may not work at all tomorrow. I’m learning to read what my hair needs and to take it day by day. That being said I have never found a shampoo/conditioner that I like better than Acure in the orange bottles. I’ve never tried John Masters or IN and will be on the look out for trial sizes to give it a whirl.

20. X says:

I’ve heard about putting olive oil on your hair and letting sit (I’m thinking that any kind of cheap cooking oil would work just as well, mind you). I guess there’s no harm in trying, but I personally don’t have the patience to let it sit in my hair for hours and then likely have to spend hours trying to remove it after, too.

@X, my personal belief is that if you have to put a lot of effort into removing it, it’s not the right thing for your hair type anyway. If you want to let it sit a long time use it overnight with a shower cap on, but you don’t have to let it sit for hours. These days I just put oil in when I wake up, do my morning yoga and eat breakfast, and wash out the excess in the shower. My hair can handle coconut oil all the way through from roots to ends, but some will need lighter oils or only use it on the ends. Except for super fine hair, I think most any hair type can benefit from the right oil, even if it’s only on the ends.

22. Britta says:

I agree that I used to hate oil treatments on my hair because I was never able to completely wash it out so my hair would always be left greasy. Then I tried coconut oil! This stuff is amazing! You can slather it on, give yourself a nice scalp massage, and leave it on for a few hours (even overnight!). When you wash it out it doesn’t leave your hair greasy, but soft! Give it a try if you haven’t already!

23. I have long wavy hair and tons of it, and oils are miracle workers for me. My favorites are jojoba, coconut, and olive oil, although when my hair is super damaged I will add a tiny amount of shea butter. I do try to wash my hair every other or every third day, but I’m still waiting for my hair to actually start producing less oil… because my hair is so long, the ends will be very dry but my scalp will get oily, which is frustrating. I keep reading all these raves about “no shampoo” hair routines… I wish it would work for me (well, maybe not no shampoo, but once or twice a week only would be amazing!)

24. Caroline says:

I will deep condition my hair every so often either with coconut oil (with some neem or tea tree if I am feeling dandruffy) or with my Alaffia rosemary shining curl oil. I haven’t really had time or needed to do it though lately, its 70 degrees here in New Orleans! On a side note, is that VO5 ad exceptionally rape-y feeling or is that just me?

25. Alyssa says:

@Autumn I have psoriasis too and do a similar thing – coconut oil massaged into my scalp and onto my ends. I also like using apple cider vinegar on my scalp occasionally. I have been eager to try the Body Deli hair products since they look super clean and geared towards a healthy scalp – have you seen a difference with them vs. other products?

26. Tori says:

My hair is long, mid-way down my back, and fine but there’s alot of it. It’s pretty darn healthy, too shiny, wavy, all those good things.

I wash 2x a week with Griffith Remedies. If I remember, the night before a wash I’ll put lots of coconut oil on the ends (i.e. everything that hangs down if it’s in a ponytail) then twist it into a bun, put a sock over it, fasten the sock with a hair tie and sleep with it like that.

I do not put oil on my scalp. It’s never a problem with the ends but for whatever reason its quite hard to wash out from my scalp and leaves it looking greasy. I let my hair air dry and never really use products, maybe a little hairspray for a special occasion, some John Masters Sea Salt Spray in the summer.

I get a trim 2-3x a year to keep it healthy. Another tip is I always brush my hair root to tips a few times before bed to distribute oils, but other than that I don’t brush, I think it causes breakage and ultimately makes my hair need more washing.

Healthy diet, water, vitamins, all those help too but these were just my hair-specific tips.

27. Taryn says:

@Alexandra I am interested in your hair routine! Could you explain more about the way you wash it? Do you still rinse it in the shower with water and/or use conditioner? And when you do wash how often is it? Also how long did it take for your hair to adjust to the change?

28. Lis says:

I have fine hair that breaks easily….weekly overnight treaments with extra-virgin coconut oil make my hair smooth and more resilient. I also apply a tiny amount after washing and sometimes use Shea Moisture Elixir. I keep my hair back so I don’t mind a little oily hair at the ends…I actually had greasier looking hair when I used silicone-based products!

29. Autumn says:

@Alyssa after trying countless shampoos and conditioners (both dirty and clean), it is the only one that has come close to me liking. It’s not perfect and the flakes come out after a couple days but at least for a few days my scalp feels normal. I’ve also found that my actual hair looks and feels normal again, which is a godsend in itself. I just got some yarok on a recommendation so I’m planning to try that out.

30. Katrine says:

I have fairly long, very dry and frizzy hair – no real curl, but a wave. I’ve always washed it only every 3-4 days, which works, so I’m sticking with it. Last summer though, I had two or three moths where I just couldn’t get it clean. It felt almost water resistant, it was matte and horrible looking, and it took hours to dry. HOURS – I had a bob, then! Ew. I had just moved to Berlin, and since the german are brilliant, I easily found a sulphate free shampoo, which is hardly possible in Denmark. It got my hair clean, and also negates the need for conditioners, for me.

I have since added in coconut oil as a leave in treatment. It took some experimenting, but I’ve found out that 1/2 – 1 teaspoon smoothed through the hair from the ends up IN the shower, while the hair is SOPPING WET works brilliantly. Shiny, soft manageable hair. If I wait, dry it any at all beforehand, it looks like brilliantine – in the bad way. Greasy, heavy and overly shiny.
    A mask that I think works, when a pure oil one doesn’t for me, is one I read on IntoTheGloss. (http://intothegloss.com/2012/08/stevies-baja-yogurt-hair-mask-magic/ ) It’s oil, heat and yogurt, which eliminated any signs of dry scalp and made my hair super shiny. It is slightly disgusting though :)

31. Lana says:

I would love to try it though. The only kind of oil I ever use on my hair is coconut. And that leaves my hear gorgeous and shiny ^^.

32. Carla says:

I have very long and healthy super curly hair!! It’s been in excellent condition for over 5 years now. This is what I did to get in long and in great condition – I put away the hairdryer and styling tools (i.e. curling irons, flat irons, wands etc.) and have my hair air-dry 90% of the time. I also stopped shampooing my hair. It’s curly and it’s naturally dry so I only do a conditioner wash. Trust me, if you use the pads of your fingertips to scrub your scalp, your hair will get clean without being stripped. After I get out of the shower, I blot my hair with a plush micro-fiber towel and apply natural plant based oils on the ends of my hair. The oils I use are the same ones I use on my face. I use flax-seed hair-gel on my hair (I found an excellent DIY recipe), wet-set it and let it dry. Once it’s dry I fluff it out and it’s good to go for 3 days. Your hair will grow fast if you stop doing too much to it.

33. Carol says:

I’ve been using the Hair Nutrition Hot Oil from Shea Terra for the past few months. It’s a bit too oily for my fine, straight hair, but stay away from my scalp and rub a few drops onto the middle and ends of my hair. I leave it in for a half hour or over night.
    Also, I just love everything from this company. Since I started using their African black soap, my sun damaged skin has looked much better.

34. Jessica says:

I can’t stand conditioner or oil in my hair (except argan on the ends) and have come up with a semi high maintenance routine that keeps my scalp calm, and my hair clean, shiny and static free.
    I wash my bangs and scalp only where it naturally parts, down the middle, with either J.R. Liggett’s Shampoo Bar “Damaged Hair Formula” or baking soda with two tiny drops of Dr. Bronner’s liquid soap. The bangs need washing daily, the rest just every third day. Next, a standard 1 to 5 parts Bragg’s ACV and water rinse with raw honey added is applied with a squeezable plastic bottle with an applicator cap so I can get all of my hair and scalp covered. I leave this on for the rest of my shower and rinse briefly with tepid water. Some people hate them, but one of the things that helps me most with static is an ugly microfiber towel, which I wrap my hair in while I slather on toner, serums, oils, etc., apply makeup and brush my teeth. Then I very gently remove the towel and spritz my hair *lightly* with Heritage rosewater and glycerine from the ears down and go crazy with Aubrey liquid aloe vera, spraying liberally all over my hair and scalp and massaging it in well. After that I just use a wide tooth comb to swipe through my hair once per quarter and blow dry my bangs only. A few drops of argan oil and the appropriate Lotus Wei serum for the day (yum) warmed with my hands goes on the tips.
    Every now and then if I am going out and I want my hair to look dirty (I know, I know) I use more rosewater and glycerine after I’ve air dried a while and then my secret ingredient – a little diluted soap. I rub it all over my hands and finger comb it through, twisting a few pieces here and there. It creates separation and a kind of textured, lanky look. Yes, weird, but no oil or conditioner needed and it looks better as the night goes on, not worse and more greasy like pretty much everything else.
    Wow, that seems like a lot, but really it is inexpensive, easy and effective. I save my beauty budget for Dr. Alkaitis, Kahina, Lotus Wei and W3LL People…
    You have to have priorities.

35. The lobnegr i use clean sulfate free shampoos I find the less I need to wash my hair. I do love to put coconut oil in the night before I wash as a treatment. MY HD tutted at this and said it builds up on the hair and can dry it out which i’m loathe to believe- anyone?

36. Tosha says:

Thanks for the great info Jessica, I have a super dry scalp right now and am not sure what to do! I think I will try the aloe vera all over my scalp after showering, maybe I’ll add 1 drop of tea tree oil. I may also try the apple cider vinegar/honey mixture. I do the ACV but haven’t tried it with honey yet. Thanks!

37. mangomadness says:

I always deep condition prior to washing my Afro-textured hair. It’s a must for my hair as it leaves it super soft and moisturized.

I deep condition with Parachute coconut oil and Shea Moisture Purification Masque or my DIY Aloe-Castor Hair Mask (Lily of the Desert aloe vera gel/castor oil).

38. fern says:

I use Jessicurl’s Deep Conditioner with the Hair Therapy Wrap she sells on her website and I love it (I have curly/wavy hair of medium thickness). I use her whole line and, while not completely clean (the preservatives are on the no-no list), I searched for a year and tried oodles of things but nothing worked as well. I abandoned my search because I wanted to feel confident that my hair would look good every day, and that is true with her stuff. I like how you can eliminate one of the potential nasty ingredients by getting it unscented.

39. Frankie says:

Wow all of the comments have given me such great ideas! I have been trying to figure out how to do without store-bought conditioner which my very curly thick hair needs for detangling and moisturizing. Maybe the solution is to put oil in my hair and then do a baking soda rinse, followed by a apple cider vinegar rinse? I’m still on the hunt for recipes for a homemade daily conditioner. I also love Jessica’s ideas about mixing aloe vera and rosewater! I’ve been reading Charles Duhigg’s THE POWER OF HABIT and he explains how changing one small habit can lead to a bigger change in overall habits. Because I quit one habit–the use of sulfate shampoos– I started to question why I need to use other products which I used to think were common sense things. Carla I’m with you on the homemade Flax Seed Gel. I used to use drugstore hair gel, but switched to Intelligent Nutrients Certified Organic Hair Gel which was cleaner, but because the cost is so expensive I just started experimenting with making my own Flax Seed Gel, and boy does that stuff work! Instead of spending 4 dollars an ounce on store-bought hair gel, if you make your own it probably costs about 25 cents an ounce. And when you use as much gel as I do that really adds up!

40. nataly says:

i love deep conditioning my hair i do it every time i wash my hair i make my own herbal rinse with horsetail, camomile flowers, and green tea leave it in for 20 minutes no heat then i put JMO intensive conditioner go under hooded dryer for 30 min or ill use olive oil and honey and go under the hooded dryer for 30 min. i also love the organicals deep conditioning creme it can be used in so many ways and the ingredients are pretty clean.

Aloe barbadensis (Aloe) Leaf Juice, Vegetable Glycerin (and) Purified Water (and) Salix alba (White Willow) Bark Extract (and) Hibiscus sabdariffa (Hibiscus) Flower Extract (and) Panax ginseng (Ginseng) Root Extract (and) Ilex raraguariensis (Yerba Mate) Leaf Extract, EcoCert Propanediol (Vegetable), Behentrimonium Methosulfate, EcoCert Trimethylglycine (Beet), Panthenol (ProVitamin B5), Hydrolyzed Quinoa Protein, Persea americana (Avocado) Oil (and) Prunus armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil, EcoCert Gluconolactone (and) EcoCert Sodium Benzoate, Caprylic Capric Triglycerides (and) Ubiquinone (CoQ10), Squalane (Olive), Guar Hydroxypropyl Trimonium Chloride, Creatine

41. Cherie says:

I’ve recently started going ‘no poo’ after reading up on the positive affects it has had on peoples hair health and the environment, it’s taken alot of adjusting of the method I use though, as not everyones hair is different, different methods work for different people. I’ve been documenting my no poo experiment on this blog to help out people looking to go no poo themselves heres the link if you want to check it out, you may find it helpful http://theno-pooexperiment.blogspot.com.au/ :)

42. I actually do oil my hair every four days (which is how often I shampoo) and I have fine stick straight hair. I don’t use any conventional products and I do manage to get all the oil out and my hair shines for it. Read my directions at http://thedetoxdiva.com/how-to-oil-your-hair-step-by-step/ and my reasons for oiling http://thedetoxdiva.com/the-secret-to-long-lustrous-hair/. I have done the no’poo experiment and have used herbal powders but I do go back to my beautiful organic shampoos again and again despite this last 8 week experiment with Baking soda and ACV. I color my hair so no matter what I did the baking soda just stripped it and the color so that was a no-go. I do find an aloe rinse with a little ACV works well for me every week or so and I do use coconut milk in between oilings in the winter if my hair gets a little flyaway.

43. Monty says:

I use Coconut Oil as a deep condition, usually mixed with a little Olive Oil! It makes my hair feel so so so soft, and my hair is pretty dry naturally! Sometimes I use it as a hot oil treatment, but find slathering it on cold works pretty well too :).