Courtney’s Morning Skin and Hair Routine… Exposed!

Meet Courtney, a fair-skinned maiden who bathes every evening. She truly loves her hemp oil too… Have any of you tried it? (We have not.)

Name:  Courtney

Age:  33

Current weather:  Finally cooling down from a hot & humid summer. With the cool though comes dry. My skin hates dry.

Hair:  Dark brown, thin, wavy, & as of last week: shoulder length with side-swept bangs (was previously to my elbows). A big change but I’m loving it!

Skin:  Very fair, thin, sensitive, & dehydrated at the moment thanks to the aforementioned weather.

Favorite star or icon from the past (or in this case, present):  Zooey Deschanel

In the shower (or bath as I usually prefer)…

I take a bath every night. There’s something so truly relaxing about unwinding in one at the end of the day. Ahhh… Right before stepping in, I massage in my DIY facial cleanser of 9:1 hemp oil & polysorbate 80 (the latter purchased from gardenofwisdom). I used to love department store lines’ cleansing oils, but could never find one that completely agreed with my skin, so alas made my own a few years ago & have never looked back. It removes absolutely everything, & leaves my skin balanced & clear. I don’t think I’ve ever loved any product so much.

I then hop in, rinse that off, & lather up with whatever palm oil-free bar soap I’m enjoying at the moment from the Farmer’s Market, Etsy, or Whole Foods. I wash my hair every three days or so with Giovanni Smooth as Silk Shampoo & Conditioner. This stuff rocks. It makes my hair so shiny! I had laser hair removal years ago on my legs, so shaving cream is one less product I need to have in my shower, but I do of course shave other bits as necessary with a Preserve razor (made from yogurt cups, so cool).

Outside the shower…

I slather some hemp oil onto my face, neck & chest. Then curl my lashes & apply mascara while that soaks in (an unmentionable one, as sadly none of the natural ones I’ve tried have pacified me thus far). Then comes my beloved Burnout Ocean Tested SPF 30+ (the BEST sunscreen ever). At this point I typically run a comb through my hair & maybe pull part of it back in a claw clip. Yep, this is why I cut my hair off. I’m that lazy with it.

Finishing touches…

Some Alima Mahogany Satin Matte Shadow to fill in my brows just a bit, RMS Living Luminizer on my brow bones & inner eye corners, RMS Smile Lip-2-Cheek on my cheeks, & a red lipstick of choice (currently back to Hemp Organics Red Zin). If I’m feeling really glam, I’ll apply some RMS Karma to my eyelids, but typically opt to instead spend that extra 30 seconds snoozing. I keep Alaffia Unscented Shea Butter in my handbag for mid-day moisture, along with my “perfume” – a bottle of Aura Cacia Vanilla Oil I added a couple drops of peppermint oil into.

Comments
17 Responses to “Courtney’s Morning Skin and Hair Routine… Exposed!”
  1. Silvy says:

i love this post! can’t get enough of the little hemp organics balms- i have all kinds of colors, and use them for eyes, lips, and cheeks. love baths too! they are rejuvenating in a way that showers just aren’t. i really miss having a bathtub, but once i move, hopefully i can start up my baths again. i usually add rose and ylang ylang oil to the bath water, maybe some salt. does anyone else have good bath ideas? that might be a good nmdl post!

i also love your perfume! i often use plain neroli- which immediately lifts my spirits!

Alima and RMS are staples for me too. Haven’t tried hemp oil on my skin, I was into eating hemp butter for a while – I should get back to that.

I love doing a bath with salts and EOs when I get the chance. @Silvy, a post is a great idea! (and I just bought some neroli to try in my DIY experiments)

3. Courtney says:

I like to do a baking soda/Epsom salt/ lavender oil bath. Sometimes I will also do a milk bath with lavender. They both help calm my eczema.

4. Beth says:

I love Hemp Organics too. It’s the only line of lip products that I have been 100% pleased with. I’ve been using there products for many years now and although I do try other lipsticks and balms Hemp Organics is the only one that doesn’t leave my lips pealing by the end of the day.

5. Mary says:

Yes! Would love a post about what folks are putting in their baths! Especially for moisturizing.

I live in Minneapolis and a nice warm bath on a winter night is the perfect end to the day, but my skin is getting SO DRY. I threw in some epsom salts the other night, and my skin was horribly itchy afterward. TMI? Sorry.

6. Natalie says:

I have combination skin and am still trying to find an oil that works well for my skin. I’ve been using my roommate’s jojoba oil which I think works well, but as a moisturizer. I don’t really ‘cleanse’ anymore…I actually just bought some jojoba oil but I may have to try hemp before I commit.

Courtney, do you use the Alaffia Shea Butter on your hands? My hands have been chronically chapped and dry this winter and I am need to buy something or them soon.

Thanks for sharing! :)

7. bella says:

does anyone know of some good smelling essential oil combos? i have a bunch of random essential oils like california orange, neroli, vanilla and would love to be able to combine them to make a nice scent but i never seem to be able to get it right. rebecca, anyone have some tips and tricks? thanks!

I’ve been planning a hand care post…stay tuned!

@bella, the EOs you mention will go well together. I recommend taking a look at all the info on Mountain Rose Herbs website. For each EO, they give a list of what other oils mix well with it. It tells which are top/middle/bottom notes and that will help you blend. I also recommend Hope Gillerman’s EO deck for inspiration. When you mix, just do a few drops at a time and let it sit for a few days for the scent to develop before you judge it.

9. Tonie says:

If baths dry your skin & make you itch, try a cup or two of organic apple cider vinegar in your bath~ you can literally feel it taking all the soap residue & whatnot off, & it’s very relaxing & soothing.

10. Courtney says:

@ Natalie: I LOVE the Shea butter on my hands. It keeps them so richly moisturized and comfortable – as well as making my cuticles look non-existant. I also use it on my lips, elbows, feet, neck… even in the ends of my hair to add shine and define the waves. : )

11. Caroline C says:

Hi Courtney!
    I was wondering why you use polysorbate 80 with your hemp oil? I looked it up on the internet and it seems dangerous or at least controversial (lots of potentential really bad side effects)? Wouldn’t it be better to use only hemp oil?
    Thank’s! Love your routine, make me want to try hemp oil, i heard it’s really good for eczema.

12. Courtney says:

@ Caroline C

Hi! It’s an emulsifier that enables the hemp oil to rinse clean with water, no washcloth required. When I first started using it a few years ago, I did so to avoid the manual friction of a washcloth. My poor skin was so fragile from the filthy junk I’d used prior.

Thanks for pointing out how much info there is now! It’s been quite a while since I’ve looked, and wow how the negative info has grown. Since submitting my routine, I’ve actually been using the hemp oil straight with just a washcloth to very gently remove – and I definitely think that’s what I’ll continue with.

13. chelsea says:

@bella. Here’s the link for Mountain Rose Herbs to the list of oils that Rebecca mentioned. Click on the oil name to have it take you to properties, mixes, etc.

14. Charlotte says:

Courtney I am IN LOVE with oils. For the body. For the face. All the time. And I’ve found in my experimenting that different oils react very differently in terms of moisturizing, glow, acne and shine. I haven’t tried hemp oil yet, can you tell me about it’s properties and what it’s your go-to? Thanks!!

15. Courtney says:

Hey Charlotte,

I’m in love with them too! Hemp oil for me is perfection. It’s lighter than say, safflower, but not at all drying or greasy like grape seed. As a cleanser, it’s high linoleic content keeps my pores cleaner than anything else I’ve ever tried. As a moisturizer (ideally applied to damp skin), it absorbs beautifully, leaving just a bit of healthy glow. It also smells absolutely fantastic – kind of like matcha. Which I’m now craving….

My staple is Nutiva’s organic, raw, unrefined, expeller cold-pressed. It apparently has more has more GLA content than any others and is DIVINE. I typically pick it up at Whole Foods or soap.com. : )

16. Charlotte says:

Thanks Courtney. That sounds wonderful! I’m currently using argan and was thinking of trying barbary seed oil next. Argan is moisturizing, but not greasy, and very plumping. But it doesn’t seem to clean my pores. That part sounds pretty fantastic…

17. Natalie says:

Grapeseed is drying!!! It all makes sense now!