Meghan’s Morning Hair and Skin Routine… Exposed!

Guys, meet Meghan! She’s new to the naturals thing, she loves Kate Hudson unironically (which, because I sometimes feel like I live in a Kate Hudson movie, makes me love her) and she had this to say:

“I firmly believe that happy, confident girls are the prettiest girls so I always wear clothes I feel good in, work at a job I enjoy, and surround myself with good people.”

I mean, come on. And she’s only 24. Here’s her routine, which is a nice mix of no-fuss naturals and DIY.

Name: Meghan
Age: 24
Current weather: Cold front just moved in and I live in the desert…so cold but dry (which obviously does wonders for your skin…. ;)
Hair: thin but lots of it, short, naturally blonde and pretty smooth and straight
Skin: oily T-zone, dry around my mouth, gifted with a chin and forehead that are prone to breakouts.

I started transitioning to natural products after having a bad reaction to a new sunscreen. When I realized I couldn’t even begin to determine with of the more-than 100 chemicals in the product caused the reaction, I decided to slim down my ingredients list and really know what’s in my products for my whole regimen, which led me down the cleaner path to natural goodies! I only recently made the switch so my skin and hair are still figuring things out, but here’s what’s working for me so far…

In the shower…

I keep everything pretty simple!

1. Shower every other day or so

2. Shampoo with Acure Organics shampoo (the lemongrass and argan stem cell one smells so yummy! and I find it hydrating enough for me that I don’t use a conditioner)

3. When my hair gets buildup or it starts getting tangled, I pour a 1:4 apple cider vinegar/water mixture on my head and massage it in. I let it sit while I clean the rest of myself, and rub a little ACV on my face as a toner

4. Still trying to find a good, non-drying product for shaving…right now I use leftover bottles of dirty conditioner :/

Outside the shower…

1. Dry off from the shower, wrapping my hair turban-style in the towel while I get ready.

2. Moisturize my face with Dr. Bronner’s fair trade organic white kernal coconut oil. A little dab’ll do ya! I think my skin is still going through it’s purge/’healing crisis’ as after the initial lovely response to the oil my skin has become troubled–so to all your lovely, well-informed readers, how long is that crisis supposed to last?!?!

3. While that’s soaking in, I apply Acure Organics body lotion (the lavender one). This lotion is only so-so (it’s not super moisturizing for me) but I can’t stand feeling greasy from lots of lotions so it works for now. I do love that the company donates to Bright Pink, a fantastic resource that I refer lots of patients t0 (I work in oncology).

4. Once my face feels moisturized but not oily I top it off with Burn Out Eco Sensitive Sunscreen. I have to wear moisturizer underneath or else it stays tacky-feeling and dry on my face all day, but with moisturizer it feels like Josie Maran’s argan oil spf daily moisturizer minus the questionable ingredients.

5. I brush through my hair (no snarls~that shampoo is amazing!) and blow dry my hair. On days I don’t shower I curl it with a flat-iron, but haven’t yet found any great natural heat-protection products.

6. I’m using Soapwalla’s deodorant, which works fine (I’m not really a sweaty person anyway) but is a little gritty for my liking. I’ll probably try Bubble and Bee’s Pit Putty next–I love supporting local businesses!

Finishing touches…

My makeup routine has gotten pretty simple since switching to natural. I use RMS Beauty’s Lip2Cheek in modest for my cheeks, which gives a really nice natural-looking flush, and sometimes I put it on my lips over my favorite Sprout lip balm (I find the RMS too dry to wear alone). My one dirty product that I can’t give up is my lipstick/balm collection: I love showcasing the big lips I inherited from my mother! I am still trying to find a natural mascara that works for me; I have never had reactive skin before but I tried Honeybee Gardens’ mascara and eyeliner and my eyes swelled shut! Not pretty. I just picked up Zuzuluxe’s mascara so hopefully that works better for me?? Then at night I slather on the Acure Night Cream and Juice Beauty Eye Cream for extra moisturizing goodness.

And that’s it!

Pretty sweet, right? Help us in welcoming Meghan to the Clean Club.

Comments
36 Responses to “Meghan’s Morning Hair and Skin Routine… Exposed!”
  1. Greta says:

In my experience, finding clean skincare for my face that doesn’t cause acne, has been the HARDEST part of switching to natural products. I also have breakouts in the chin area, and I have found that my acne-prone skin doesn’t do well with coconut oil at all. I have since switched to a homemade shea/olive oil blend, and that’s working well so far! I know it’s a pain in the butt, but you might want to try something else as a facial moisturizer. Good luck!

2. Caroline says:

Aloe is great for acne prone skin, especially if you use oil based sunscreen and don’t want to look greasy. I also recommend tamanu and neem oil, which don’t smell very good but work wonders for acne.

3. Silvy says:

I have combo skin, and coconut oil has always worked great for me – no breakouts from it. But, I have heard that it makes some break out, so if you find that to be the case, I recommend Pangea Organics Balancing Oil. A good less expensive alternative is jojoba oil.

And make sure you do a good clay mask a couple of times a week (Evan Healy and Dr. Hauschka have fantastic ones, but there are cheaper as well)! I find them to be a bit harsh, though, so before I always massage some oil into my face (usually coconut), and then do a warm washcloth compress, and then the mask.

Steaming your face and yogurt masks also help!

4. Courtney says:

anything with coconut oil in it breaks out my face, i only use coconut oil as a body moisturizer. for my face i have grapeseed oil which i find light and not too greasy but lately i have only been using the rosehip serum from evan healy and find that it is moisturizing enough.

5. Emily says:

I love this routine and what she has to say about feeling pretty! For being new to naturals, she’s doing a great job… And sounds so fun, like someone who would be a great girlfriend!

6. mangomadness says:

For shaving, I like Kiss My Face Moisture Shave.

Coconut oil is highly pore-clogging. I would NEVER put it on my face. With that said, coconut oil is awesome as hair treatment and a body moisturizer (mixed with shea butter).

I also want to try Bumble and Bumble Pitt Putty (baking soda-free formula).

7. Ash says:

Shea doesn’t clog pores– I didn’t have luck with coconut oil so I tried that instead and it works great :) Just make sure to find pure, unrefined shea.

8. Charlotte says:

Have you tried Dr. Bronner’s shaving gel? They even have an unscented version if you’re super sensitive. You should give it a go!!

9. Ami says:

I love 100% Pure mascara http://www.oneluckyduck.com/store/product-details.php?id=629&cat=54 oops! Out of stock at the moment so you know it’s good!!

10. Beth says:

I second the tamanu oil. While I love coconut oil for my hair and elbows my face was both dry and break out prone when I tried it. Tamanu oil does have an intriguing smell (I personally love it but my mother loathes it) but it really is helpful. I use it on my little boys eczema and it makes a noticeable difference. it is very moisturizing yet doesn’t leave me break outy. Check out the Mountain Rose Herbs write up. Also ,and I wonder if other people notice this too, my face does not do well with oils and butters that are solid at room temperature. They aggravate both my acne and my eczema.

11. Jennifer says:

Thanks for the routine, Meghan! For shaving, I recommend Dr. Bronner’s Organic Shave Gel (unscented). No other shaving product has ever given me such a close shave and moisturized skin. And a little goes a long way, so it’s pretty economical at $8 for a 7-ounce bottle. Have you tried Argan oil as a facial moisturizer? My whole family with different skin types (me-dry, husband-oily, preteen daughter-normal) uses it with great results. We use the Acure brand and love it!

12. Meghan says:

Thanks for the kind words and wonderful suggestions everyone! I forgot to add that I use Aztec Secret Clay + ACV once a week, which I really like…just gotta moisturize well after!

Looks like I’ll have to pick up some Dr. Bronner’s shave gel and dabble in some other facial oils :)

13. Shawna says:

My go-to moisturizer for my acne-prone skin is aloe gel mixed with a few drops of jojoba oil. Simple and effective but not the most moisturizing. I’ve been wanting to try shea but my skin has been so temperamental lately that I fear that if I even think about putting anything else on my face I’ll pay the price. As winter starts up I’ll probably have to think about incorporating something else in… we’ll see!

14. Alix says:

I switched from Soapwalla to Pit Putty (lime and geranium scent) after developing an itchy rash. I love it and it’s nice to have multiple scents to choose from. They also recently introduced a cream version (which comes in a jar like Soapwalla’s), if you prefer that consistency.

Welcome to clean beauty, Meghan! I’m okay with coconut oil on my face but my favorite is argan oil for everyday, and occasional pomegranate serum from Evan Healy when I need something heavier. For shaving I like to use coconut oil, or my favorite shampoo & body bar from Rose of Sharon Acres, or my latest thing – Bubble & Bee’s Honey/Rosehip facial cleanser (I don’t like it for my face but it’s great for shaving). Real Purity and Afterglow both make mascaras I like. There are lots of great clean lip colors out there to start a new collection with. I love colors from Real Purity, 100% Pure, Inika and Afterglow.

16. Ann says:

Hey Meghan! Here’s a great site that sells natural acne products http://highonhealthstore.com/. The products are not so well known, but really effective (they also sell raw tamanu oil). Have fun adopting your new green routine!

17. C says:

I just want to say I also had a heinous reaction to Honeybee Gardens mascara. I’ve never reacted to anything like that before… my eyes hurt so badly I couldn’t even sleep at night, couldn’t be in sunlight, they felt like someone had punched me hard on my eyeballs, and they burned, swelled, and watered… I first tried the mascara when I was visiting my sister and I just thought I was allergic to her cat, so in vanity despite the pain, I continued to wear the mascara for a week before I realized what the problem really was. My eyes became super sensitive for months after I stopped wearing it. I couldn’t tolerate wearing my contacts at all until six months later, and I developed sensitivities to mascaras and eye creams that hadn’t bothered me previously. It was kind of a nightmare and my eyes haven’t been the same since. I called the company and reported my reaction, they denied ever having heard of anyone reacting badly to their formulas. I know I’m not the only one because I work at a health food store where I know of a few customers who had similar reactions and returned the products. Maybe some people love this and it works for them, but please use caution with Honeybee Gardens’ products if you’re sensitive, never knew I was until this… I do love the Zuzuluxe line and love their mascara, no reaction.

18. Courtney says:

What results are people getting with tamanu oil for acne scars compared to rosehip? I had Evan Healy’s rosehip serum from buying the blue sample pack a while back and started using it about two weeks ago after a commenter recommended it. I really like the texture and the way it makes my face feel and look but if tamanu will help reduce the scars more effectively then I would rather invest my money that way.

19. JJ says:

Coconut oil is highly comedogenic (as is olive oil) do not use these on your face if you are experiencing acne. Oils dont cause purging. if you get acne after using an oil, you’re just experiencing breakouts, not purging. Sorry

20. Amy says:

Yikes! I’m really surprised to hear about all of the negative reactions to Honeybee Gardens. I use several of their products including eyeliner and mascara. I’ve never had a reaction to the mascara (although I do have sensitive skin and tend to react to products) and I’m curious what ingredient in it would cause that. It concerns me a little because my only problem with it is that after i wash it off (it just comes off easily with water) i have these stringy black “eye boogers” in my eyes from it, which I’ve never experienced with another mascara. I always brushed it off that it was probably okay since they’re so natural, but now I’m a little concerned about it being in my eyes so much…

21. Meghan says:

I’m puzzled by which ingredient caused the reaction too. I also experienced it with RMS Beauty’s beauty oil (which I used a few weeks after I reacted to the HG mascara–so strange as I’ve NEVER had sensitive skin before switching to natural?), and the only common ingredients between the two are jojoba oil and tocopherol–both of which are in other products that I have no problems with. C, were you able to figure out what caused your reaction?

I wrote to Honeybee Gardens and they said they rarely ever hear of people reacting to the products, so hopefully Amy you’re fine! I was ok for two days and then reacted almost instantly the third time I used it (swelling in my eyes and cheeks, runny nose) so if you haven’t felt those symptoms hopefully the product will work for you.

22. Sam says:

Hi Meghan, so what job do you enjoy? I can’t decide my career so I was wondering since, your like me I would love to know what job do you love?

23. Jenni says:

Meghan, it’s great to hear from another Acure Organics devotee! I ADORE their facial care (particularly the radical resurfacing creme). Now that it’s getting colder and drier out, I have to layer it on a little thicker, but it’s worked wonders for my complexion.
    I found their body lotion to be sub-par as well; I have very very dry skin. My biggest struggle so far is finding a lotion that’s clean AND works! If anyone has tips, please share!

24. mangomadness says:

I use Honeybee Gardens eyeliner, eyeshadow and lipstick. I’ve never has a reaction to any of their products despite the fact that I have sensitive skin

25. C says:

I don’t know what the exact ingredient in the mascara was that was causing my woes, but it was definitely the Honeybee Gardens mascara. Before I returned it I tried using it at home, after my eyes had calmed down from the initial reaction, to make sure that’s what it was… I ended up with the exact same symptoms as before. Will not touch their stuff again. I’ve used Ecobella for years, Zuzuluxe, Gabriel, and countless dirty mascaras, have never had a problem with any of those.

26. Beth says:

@ Courtney, I use both tamanu oil and rose hip seed oil and I have found both are very effective at healing, the main difference being (at least on my face) that tamanu oil works better for the acne prone areas. It is preventive in terms of acne. Rose hip seed oil works better for fading hyperpigmentation from sun damage and it does help with other forms of scarring too but the disadvantage (for me anyway) is that it does nothing to help my skin stay clear. Some sources say that rose hip seed oil is not right for acne, some say the opposite. I also found an article that supported the use of tamanu oil for scarring. What I do is use straight tamanu oil on acne prone areas, a mixture of tamanu oil and argan oil on the combination areas and straight rose hip seed oil on the dry sun damaged areas. If I put rose hip seed oil on an acne lesion the acne stays active longer but tamanu oil helps with the inflammation and the healing. Tamanu oil is, in my opinion, worth a try but make sure you like the smell before you invest too much money. It smells almost like madras curry to me and I really like it but some people don’t. Any way I’m babbling…

I was curious with all the comments, so I looked up ingredients for the honeybee gardens mascara. Nothing stands out to me as likely to cause a reaction, maybe some ingredient has contamination?? Anyway, it’s not a “clean” product (depending on your personal standards) – it contains phenoxyethanol.

28. Courtney says:

Thanks Beth! I don’t have any sun damaged areas so I’m thinking its time to get tamanu oil. I have scarring from cystic acne but I also consistently have an active cystic zit (when one finally goes away another is starting).

29. Caroline says:

Over the summer I used tamanu oil and it worked pretty well. Another great thing for acne is Thyme EO. Just make sure you dilute it enough!

30. Beth says:

@Courtney, I think, from what you say, that it would be really definitely worth a try. If you buy some and find that you do not like the smell, what you can do is cut it a little with your grape seed oil then add a drop of an appropriate essential oil. Rose essential oil (pricey I know) combines nicely with the smell of the tamanu and it is also an excellent EO for acne as it brings down the redness, is very soothing to the skin but still mildly antibacterial. I like it better for this than tea tree or lavender but as I said above, I like the smell of tamanu and use it straight. Good Luck.

31. Lauren says:

This deoderant is AMAZING. I used to use soapwalla, but I like this sooooo much better. The lady at Whole Foods said they’ve never had a return on it, which is unheard of in the natural deoderant world. I’m wondering if it’s “clean.” I love it either way…

And I’m seconding the Dr. Bronners shave gel. I use lavender and adore it.

Great to see someone here with troubled skin. Mine is, and not that I wish acne on anyone, but it’s nice to know other people are struggling to get their skin clear ;)

I use Mychelle’s White Cranberry Cleanser and ADORE IT. It has really helped clear up my skin.

32. Courtney says:

Caroline, I haven’t used thyme EO but I did make a thyme/ACV/aloe toner that I like.

@Lauren, the Herban Cowboy deodorant is not what I would call clean (of course everyone has different ideas of what is acceptable). Possibly better than what you can pick up at the average drug store, though. Clever name, too.

34. Liz says:

For acne: Glory for Girls refining lotion – it uses sulfur. works well, non drying, non irritating. Works better than salycilic.

for my face: I’ve started using argan oil, the John Masters Organic bottle – 2 or 3 drops that i slap onto my face, and then i run my hands through my hair to get off the excess. Works beautifully on both.

Coconut oil is great, but is not allowed to stay on my face. I do use it as a scrub, mixing it with sugar, though.

I use coconut oil to shave my legs – you have to really wash the razor between strokes, but it gives me a closer shave, and moisturizes my forever-itchy legs.

Grapeseed oil is also great for the face and a GREAT anti-frizz serum for hair.

For mascara: Dr. Hauschka’s is fantastic! Their eyeliner is great too. Worth the price.

35. Faith says:

Coconut oil can cause breakouts. Contrary to what a lot of people say it is indeed highly comedogenic. I find the samething with sheabutter too. I was using One Love Organics Skin savior balm and Stark’s grapefruit balm for cleansing and my skin was terrible. That was when I found out those ingredients were the culprits. I kept the balms for my body as they are good for dry patches etc. and they do work for other things, but for my face, I had to switch back to a basic cleanser and moisturizer. I realize my current cleanser is not considered clean, but I don’t think getting clogged pores is a good thing either.

I used Soapwalla for my deodorant, and I just love how it works!

I find this journey to being more natural is a very personal thing. What works for one, will not work for another. I think at times you just need to do what’s right for you and use your judgement.

36. Mary says:

I love using coconut oil for shaving!

Also, my favorite mascara is made by Reviva labs. It is so cheap (around $5) and super volumizing. It basically acts like a drugstore mascara. Some out of date ingredients lists say that it has parabens, but I wrote to the company and they said their formula does not contain it anymore.

Hope those tips help!