Hannah’s Morning Skin and Hair Routine… Exposed!

Meet young Hannah! She’s got great taste in products and stars, along with some savvy DIY tricks. Where she falls short: dirty makeup. We kinda get it though—anyone else in this boat?—it’s an easy category to ignore, especially if you don’t use a ton of it. And yet…

Name: Hannah

Age: 20

Current weather: Warm, humid south-east American summer! Lots of afternoon thunderstorms and 90 degree days.

Hair: Long (not quite boob length), chocolate brown, and somewhat wavy. It grows thick but the hair itself is not coarse or fine, but somewhere in the middle, and prone to split ends, which are dry while my scalp is oily and dandruffy.

Skin: Pretty oily! When I was a teen it was really oily, but these days it’s just a bit greasy feeling in the mornings. I get a zit or two when I’m on my period, and the occasional dry spot.

Favorite star or icon from the past: Elizabeth Taylor, because I have her eyebrows.

In the shower…

I shower once every two or three days, because when I was a kid and my parents were telling me to shower daily, I’m pretty sure it only worsened my oily skin and hair. Before I shower, I brush my hair gently with a paddle brush, mainly to minimize the number of hairs that are inevitably going to fall out and clog my shower drain. Once a week or so in the shower I wash my bod with Everyday Shea Lavender Body Wash, and the rest of the times I just get my feet and armpits. For my hair, I use Dr. Bronner’s Tea Tree Pure Castile Soap, which helps my dandruff, and I use Everyday Shea Vanilla & Mint Conditioner on my ends (sometimes I switch it up and condition before I wash, which I find I quite like the way it makes my hair feel.) I also sometimes just use pure tea tree oil, a very little of it, on problem patches of my scalp. I like how it tingles! I have a DIY body scrub make of sugar, olive oil, and a little jojoba oil and peppermint oil that I use on my legs after too much chlorinated pool or in the winter when my skin gets drier.

Outside the shower…

After I shower, I use virgin organic coconut oil all over my entire body. I use to have charming back and butt breakouts, and I find that coconut oil has pretty much stopped those entirely. I also pat my face down with grapeseed oil, the best moisturizer for my oily skin. I let my hair air dry, and sometimes I spray it down with a little Acure Organics Leave-In Conditioner, which works as a detangler as well. Then I brush gently once it’s dry. In between showers when I’m feeling dry, I use Everyday Shea Moisturizing Body Lotion, and I rub raw shea butter on my feet because they are usually dry and cracked all of the time. On days when I don’t shower, I use a little witch hazel on my face in the morning to swipe away any excess oil gently.

Finishing touches…

For my hair, I usually leave it alone. But sometimes I put a little Andalou Naturals Healthy Shine Sunflower & Citrus Styling Gel in it while it’s still wet and scrunch it to bring out my waves. If I put it up in a ponytail or a bun for work, I spritz it with Andalou Naturals Full Volume Lavender & Biotin Style Spray to keep my baby hairs from flying about wildly. And, if my hair is dry but I want my beachy waves, I just spray it with a homemade sea salt/ water spray with a little lavender oil in it. (That’s the same list of ingredients as John Masters Organics’ sea salt styling spray, but I made it at home for free!) My makeup isn’t very clean yet, I use mostly Covergirl concealer, eyeliner and shadow and Ulta Minerals face powder and blush. I did buy Honeybee Gardens Truly Natural Mascara, and I like it a lot and use it usually in two coats. But, I still use a dirty waterproof one once in a while when I have to. (Thank goodness Josie Maran has a waterproof clean one now! I’ll have to grab it soon.) I don’t use perfume, I just use a little essential oil of whatever I’m feeling like that day (almost always cinnamon, but sometimes sandalwood, vanilla, and on hot days peppermint, which also cools my skin pleasantly.)

Great routine! Now who’s going to rec a clean concealer to this girl?

Comments
25 Responses to “Hannah’s Morning Skin and Hair Routine… Exposed!”
  1. Jay says:

Toss it, girl! Better to have dark circles than using Covergirl.

2. Katy says:

Combination of RMS uncover up and 100% Pure Coffee Been Eye Cream do wonders for under my eyes.

3. Anna says:

It sounds like coconut oil is great for your skin (on me, it breaks me out!), so try RMS “Un” Cover-Up if you’re interested in a more sheer concealer (I use it for under my eyes). It sounds like your skin is more oily, though, so this may not be the best for your skin.

Vapour Organic’s Illusionist Concealer is AMAZING–it’s lightweight, provides good coverage, and isn’t super oily. Plus it comes in a stick, which is great.

If you like loose powder for blush and foundation, check out Alima. They also carry eyeshadow!

4. Emma B says:

While I don’t use much makeup, concealer is a staple in my morning routine. Finding a clean version that really delivers is a challenge. I tried RMS uncover up, and while it is nice to apply and takes care of the skin, the coverage isn’t great for pimples and darks circles. I prefer Josie Maran’s Argan Concealer, mixed with a little Living Nature Illuminating Tint for a great light reflecting coverage under the eyes. I think the Josie Maran concealer has been reformulated though and now contains pehoxyethanol. As I move toward truly clean products, I find this less acceptable and may not repurchase. The next ones I want to try are Earth’s Beauty and Living Nature concealers… Has anyone tried those?

I was also wondering if anyone has a good eye cream to recommend for the blue/purple type of dark circles (due to hemosiderin from leaky capillaries)? While 100% pure works well for puffiness, I find it doesn’t help much with the darkness. I am thinking of buying some Reviva Lab’s Vitamin K cream, but a cleaner alternative with vitamin K would be nice.

5. Moksha says:

I adore Dr Haushka’s concealer. It looks wonderful and never cakes and has such excellent ingredients it actually helped me heal from eczema around my eyes! I use a lot of their products including eye concealer, facial concealer, bronzer, and liquid eyeliner. Also, just so you know, I have skin like yours (greasy with occasional zits and occasional dry spots). I am a Dr Haushka junkie.

@Emma B, unfortunately I’ve never found an eye cream that helps with the darkness – changing my diet worked though. As I’ve probably mentioned a thousand times, it’s vegan/raw/gluten free, but I think anything diet that is likely to decrease inflammation would be a plus for dark circles.

7. Tee says:

Try Afterglow Cosmetics’ liquid aloe concealer. I use it every day and can’t live without it. It’s not oil based, hides everything on my breakout prone skin, and stays on all day if I can keep my hands off my face.

8. Anne says:

If you’re looking for a drug store brand of concealer for convenience I’m actually a fan of Physician’s Formula organicwear tinted moisturizer. That and some matte mineral powder gives a really nice natural coverup. It’s mostly clean and possibly a good gateway into cleaner makeup. Although, when push comes to shove, for just $10 more RMS uncover up is really amazing…

@Anna, I second the Alima. I love Alima foundation, which I use as concealer with a small brush, love their blush too. Also, their brushes are fabulous.

10. Emma B says:

Thanks Rebecca!
    If you ever feel like doing a Meatless Monday piece on how you manage your social life with this type of diet, I would be interested. I mean, my family and friends already think I’m difficult because I don’t eat meat and prefer unprocessed, whole foods. Though they may also be referring to the drinking home-made raw almond milk and making my own face cleanser ;)

11. Beth says:

@ Emma B I don’t try to seriously cover my under eye circles as it almost always looks strange to me when I do but if I put just a soft layer or a sheer concealer over top then a layer of some kind of luminizer this sort of softens them without looking off. I think that I am just so used to my dark circles that my face looks wrong to me without them. I will however ditto Rebecca. eating right for me, avoiding food triggers, stress and getting enough sleep all make them less noticeable.

12. anne says:

I love her products and have the concealer in light. I do have skin on the dry side and need to prep my under eye area with jojoba oil first or the product turns cakey throughout the day.

Ps her products are super affordable!

@Emma B, everyone thinks I’m a pain in the butt (speaking specifically of my food choices but probably other stuff too). I wish I could say I have some magical way of managing social interactions around food. Basically, I just do my own thing (make something different from what my family is eating or bring my own food when I go out). I will think about how to approach a piece that addresses some of the issues – thank you for the inspiration. As a fellow almond milk maker I feel connected to you!

14. Courtney says:

I would just like to say that I’m jealous you have Elizabeth Taylor’s eyebrows.

15. Steph says:

My sample of the Nvey Eco Deluxe Flawless Foundation surprised me by doubling as a concealer – no matter what I was trying to conceal! It has better staying power than RMS on my oily skin. Fantastic performance in the under eye area. I always mix a small dab of eye cream with whatever I’m using as undereye concealer to prevent drag during application. I do like the W3ll People concealer stick for my acne scars. And triple ditto on everything that’s been said re: food/shifting the inner landscape for reducing dark undereye circles. Eliminating gluten has done more to reduce my dark circles than any product I’ve ever tried.

16. Aimee D says:

Coconut oil is great stuff. I find that my skin and hair is naturally oily, so I don’t use a lot of oils or lotions on my body, but I do use coconut oil mixed with some baking soda and peppermint essential oil as toothpaste.

As far as concealers go, I don’t need to much coverage anymore as I have been using an organic line from my business that has helped banish breakouts and keep my skin naturally healthy. But when I do, I found that the organic concealer in my product line gives great coverage. I use it if I have any circles in the am and if I have an occasional blemish.
    The DIY body scrub you describe sounds amazing! I can’t wait to try it. :) And I also have to agree that anything tea tree that I’ve used on my scalp feels like heaven. And speaking of jojoba oil, does anyone else use this as an eye-makeup remover?

17. JeanineD says:

I am going to agree with the general recommendations here. My dark circles improved when I stopped eating gluten, but they made a major retreat when I stopped dairy (except butter, which I am ok with). And, if anyone should know about dealing with complicated diets it’s me! Ever since I got really sick almost 2 years ago I have been eliminating a lot of foods…. I am strictly gluten free (I need to avoid cross-contamination too), dairy free, eggs free, plus no yeast (including, sadly, alcohol) and some nuts. It is tough, but I have never looked this healthy in my life and I am finally starting to feel great (been suffering from allergies since I was 5 or 6). So, even if it is a pain, particularly in the beginning, you adjust and those around you do too and not only is it totally worth it, but people eventually get jealous of your good looks ;)

As for makeup, I use RMS for now, tho not totally in love with it. Ecobella also makes a good and cheap stick concealer, as well as Nvey. I think i will try Vapour and Afterglow next. For eyeshadows, I like Nvey, Hauschka and Korres. Alima is nice, but I can’t seem to get along with loose minerals.

18. Stacy says:

I recommend trying Jane Iredale Disappear for a concealer. It really helps heal and control blemishes and goes well under any powder. I use Alima powder foundation and you can find your match easily online or by trying their

19. Rose says:

I think all the concealers people have already mentioned are awesome and I’ve used most of them, I just want to add one more that I’ve recently been using and is working well for me: Juice Beauty Correcting Concealer. I use it with the same tint as the tinted moisturizer with spf that I have from them (sand), and I like it a lot. Because it’s a liquid it never gets cakey on me. I used it on blemishes, applied with a tiny brush, let dry a bit, then blend with fingers, and under eye over my eye cream. Also because it’s a liquid I find it a little easier to layer and blend for more coverage. Good luck Hannah! And I second @Courtney jealous of your brows :)

20. Hannah M says:

I use a combination of Afterglow and RMS under my eyes, set with some loose mineral powder. It doesn’t completely get rid of the dark circles, but it helps them to look normal. I also love the un cover-up as an allover concealer. I highly recommend ordering samples if you’re feeling unsure – I ordered a bunch from Spirit Beauty Lounge so I could test different options before committing. @Aimee D – I use jojoba oil to remove all of my makeup (eyes included), and I LOVE it. I have extremely sensitive skin, and it is the only thing I’ve ever used to clean my face that removes everything and keeps my skin from freaking out.

21. Helen says:

I actually don’t recommend RMS un cover up, especially if you have oily skin. I have dry skin and I didn’t like it so much because it left my skin greasy. Try Origins concealer! might not as clean as RMS, but it’s a great concealer, especially for oily-skinned gals.

22. Linnéa says:

I use both pink and green mineral concealer from swedish brand Tikei http://www.tikei.se/produkter/mineral-concealers.php
    Don’t know if they ship outside Sweden though, but for us over here they’re great! They have great eyeshadows as well, selling trial-sizes for 10 sek ~ 1.5$ – and they last forever!

23. Kate says:

My favorite clean cover-up is W3LL People Narcissist. It is amazing. I tried RMS uncover-up but found that it didn’t provide great coverage and made my face look a little shiny. Narcissist provides fuller coverage that is more matte, which I love. And it comes in a stick, another bonus. Their customer service is great and it is really easy to get samples. Plus, its CLEAN!

24. Kelly says:

RMS Un-Cover up! Expensive, but so worth it and last a loooooong time.

Foundation: I would definitely switch from covergirl to mineral makeup if you have oily skin – Alima Pure comes in a ton of colors, so it matches skin PERFECTLY. It’s crazy. But seriously, mineral makeup is the best for oily/acne-prone skin. Avoid ones containing bismuth oxychloride if you break out.

25. Kelsey says:

Rejuva minerals concealer is amazing!!! I use it every day