DIY Beauty: Lindsay’s Remineralizing Tooth Powder

Last week I fretted over all the terrible, toxic things in my toothpaste. Lo and behold, Lindsay has sent us a wonderful—and beautifully photographed, I might add—recipe to make our own clean toothpaste at home. I’ve gone in and out of using baking soda on my teeth, and really enjoy it (and notice a difference in my teeth) when I do. Is this something you’ve given a whirl?

—Name: Lindsay

—Current hometown: Seattle, WA

—Product name that I made up: Remineralizing Tooth Powder

—Ingredients list: 2 T. calcium carbonate, 2 T. baking soda, 1 T. myrrh powder, 1 T. sage, 1 t. raspberry leaves (or dried lemon peel or fennel or cloves), 10-20 drops essential oils (peppermint, lemon, clove, cinnamon, tea tree, spearmint, or wintergreen are good choices)

—How I made it: Toss all ingredients into a spice grinder and give it a good whirl. Transfer into a flip top bottle for easy and hygienic application onto a wet toothbrush or put a pea-sized amount on your palm and pick it up with a wet toothbrush.

—How it smelled, felt, worked: I used lemon and peppermint essential oils, so together with the sage, it smelled a bit earthy and minty fresh! My teeth felt squeaky clean just like after a trip to the dentist. I’ve been using it for the last several months, so I’m used to it not tasting sweet, but if you prefer a touch of sweetness, ~1 T. of Xylitol or Stevia may be added.

—Why I will or won’t do this again: I’ll totally do this again! I’ve never felt that commercial or even all-natural toothpastes got my teeth very clean. My mouth has never felt so healthy, even though I haven’t been to the dentist in two years (Yikes! Must fix that soon. Any holistic dentist recommendations in the Seattle area?). My gums don’t bleed anymore when I (occasionally) floss. My next step is to try oil pulling!

P.S. Some people might be concerned with the abrasiveness of baking soda, but according to an abrasive index of toothpastes called the RDA index, it’s actually just a step above water. A toothpaste or powder needs a certain amount of abrasiveness to be effective, but it’s important to grind the myrrh powder, sage, and raspberry leaves into small enough particles so that they don’t damage your enamel.

Oooh, interesting note. Thanks for sending Lindsay!

Comments
14 Responses to “DIY Beauty: Lindsay’s Remineralizing Tooth Powder”

What an interesting recipe! Can we have a breakdown of what each ingredient is supposed to do? I guess it’s the myrrh, sage and raspberry leaves I’m wondering about. The others are obviously abrasives and flavoring. I love the idea of lemon as a toothpaste flavor. I haven’t used minty toothpaste in a long while and I actually find lemon more refreshing (and doesn’t ick up the flavor of stuff you eat/drink after brushing).

2. Lolly says:

Oh wow, that sounds cool! Actually, in the last toothpaste conversation I complained about my organic toothpaste (Melvita) not leaving my teeth clean enough and having that mossy feeling at the end of the day. And then I started sprinkling baking soda on top of my toothpaste and it has been awesome! The baking soda actually makes the toothpaste a bit more foamy and leaves my teeth sparkling-clean. So thanks a bunch for the tip, the ladies of NMDL!

3. Jamie says:

This DIY sounds awesome… I can’t wait to try it! (although I’m pretty happy with my PerioBrite toothpaste) Thanks Lindsay :)

4. Nancy says:

@Lindsay, that sounds awesome! I’m all for tying DIY and this one is next..Beautiful pic by the way… You probably put all other submissions to shame with that:)
    Would you mind sharing where do you get your supplies?
    As for oil pulling, if you like coconut oil, give it a tryi…You will enjoy the ritual:)

@ where is Dr.Mom T… I was hoping to see her comments on the previous post about toothpastes and now on this one..

5. Nancy says:

Ops, “trying”

6. Kat says:

Yay for the dried lemon peel tip! Also, when I started trying to make my own toothpaste I asked my dentist about the abrasiveness of baking soda. She said that it’s nonsense that there are some people out there that say it’s too abrasive. Its edges aren’t too sharp for enamel. (I’m glad my dentist is honest and not just trying to scam me into buying commercial dental products) Salt on the other hand IS too abrasive… So for people out there mixing up DIYs with salt, stick to the baking soda.

7. mstrex says:

what about fluoride?

8. Gk says:

By total coincidence I made up a batch of toothpowder using the same ingredients except for the raseberry leaves just this week !

9. Annette says:

I was using a DIY toothpaste with baking soda, peroxide and vegetable glycerin Even sweetened with stevia it was vile. Based on a recommendation I saw here, I switched to Rose of Sharon Acres Tooth Chips “Spritz”. My teeth are pristine clean and whiter than ever.

10. Dr.MomTH says:

Sorry that I have been a little absent…I was out of town the week of the last toothpaste post and by the the time I read it, there were about 70 comments!! I honestly didn’t even know where to begin!
    Thanks for your DIY Lindsey! There is not anything in here that I was overly concerned with. @Rebecca, the myrrh and sage are natural antiseptics. I am not sure if the raspberry leaves are just for flavor or have another purpose.
    I will say that I am not a huge fan of baking soda toothpastes because they can be too abrasive. Much depends on how you use it. If you use something abrasive and scrub back and forth, it can damage your gums and cause recession (especially if you have thin gum tissue), as well as wear away the tooth structure. Then you will end up needing to come see me for a gum graft! If you use baking soda with proper toothbrushing technique (ie circular motions) or better yet, an electric toothbrush, you are far less likely to cause damage…but I question the necessity of something that abrasive in the first place. As I have said here before, the most important part of oral hygiene is the mechanical action of the toothbrush and floss. But if you feel you must use baking soda, make sure you aren’t scrubbing back and forth with it!
    As far as the lack of fluoride, that is opening quite a controversial can of worms…I personally don’t use fluoridated toothpaste and neither do my kids. I tell my healthy patients who do not have a high rate of cavities, do not have dry mouth, and do not have roots exposed that it is up to them whether they use fluoride or not. For those who fit into any of those categories and don’t have immaculate oral hygiene, I do recommend fluoride, because it is too important that they control their cavities!
    And Alexandra, my husband likes to tell patients “only floss the teeth you want to keep!” It is the most natural, effective way of keeping your mouth clean! But you have to do it more than occasionally:)

11. magicjukebox says:

is it the calcium carbonite that remineralises? has anyone found this to work on that front? i’ve occasionally read tales of “and my decay filed up!”, and i’m really keen to hear if it works for anyone else .

12. Lindsay says:

Oh my gosh, I’ve been out of the country for the last couple weeks and am just now getting caught up on the internets :) I hope this isn’t too late for anyone reading…

I did a bunch of looking around on various sites and researching what ingredients for my tooth powder would be good for mouth care. The myrrh powder is to help prevent gum disease. In addition to being an astringent, the raspberry leaves are good for the gums. People use the tea to prevent canker sores and gingivitis, so I thought it would make a nice addition. Sage has antibacterial, anti-fungal and astringent qualities, and helps whiten teeth.

•Mountain Rose Herbs carries myrrh powder and raspberry leaves (I just bought the Traditional Medicinals raspberry leaf tea from Whole Foods and opened up a tea bag).
    •Now Foods has a calcium carbonate (I bought off iHerb.com) as well as all the essential oils. I also sometimes use this to fortify my homemade nut milks, yum!
    •Sage can usually be found in the bulk spice section at the grocery store.

I wondered about the fluoride question for a long time too. But essentially it’s a potential poison that’s an industrial byproduct that was added to our water because they needed somewhere to put it. Through the use of propaganda, the government got the public to accept the idea that fluoride is a treatment for teeth. Check out this website for more info: http://www.fluoridealert.org/

I love this DIY series, keep them coming!! :)

13. sjeanine says:

Hi I am wondering if you can make a recommendation for some other essential oil to use besides lemon since I’m highly allergic to citrus…thanks!

14. Sharon says:

I love the fact that we are branching out and making our own alternatives to the main stream stuff. I also am not a proponent of fluoride. As you said this was a slimy way forced on us to keep the fertilizer industry from having to pay for HAZARD WASTE. So they made into I think its called fluorine and put it in our drinking water.
    i will try the tooth powder I have made others and I like them and haven’t used conventional tp in awhile.
    Thanks…..