Have You Tried Ilia Yet? Get On That!

A couple of months ago Siobhan reviewed her favorite new lipstick from Ilia, then I told you about it again when I was playing Mad Men dress up. But I’m getting the feeling that we haven’t quite expressed just how obsessed we are with this brand.

First there are the colors. I’m personally wild for Bang Bang, but there’s something for everyone, from pretty blushing pinks to a deep and gorgeous burgundy. Then there’s the texture, which is ridiculously hydrating, and yet the color still lasts.

Last but not least, there is Sasha Plavsic: the beautiful, cool Canadian founder of Ilia who we feel like we’ve known forever from some distant Degrassi past. She has created a natural brand that competes with the Macy’s counter, and Well+Good is talking to her about it. But first, have you tried Ilia? Which color works best for you (include your skin tone!)?

From Well+Good:

“I wanted to make a natural lipstick that could sit next to NARS at the beauty counter and inspire women to reach for it whether they were natural-leaning or not,” says Sasha Plavsic.

And Plavsic, a package-design maven turned beauty formulator, did just that when she launched Ilia Pure Lip Care last summer.

Skipping ingredients like petrochemicals and the ever-elusive fragrance, Ilia lipsticks are 85 percent organic but have the look and feel of a traditional luxe brand (but are significantly less drying).

The line quickly became a cult favorite, even outside natural circles. That’s great news considering the toxic lineage of lip products.

Keep reading here.

Comments
20 Responses to “Have You Tried Ilia Yet? Get On That!”
  1. comagirl says:

I have not tried Ilia yet, but have been looking for a new clean brand of lipstick. I still have an old dirty one I’ve been using, (I don’t wear lipstick all that frequently), but it just started to have that “off” taste, so it needs to be tossed. Thank you for the recommendation. That luscious red is really inspiring. I will definitely check it out.

2. Kate says:

Oh, I adore Ilia! I currently have three of them and have my eye on another (Bang Bang). I currently have Blossom Lady, Shell Shock, and Arabian Knights and I tried to stick with cool or neutral colors as I am very, very pale with cool undertones. I think Blossom Lady reminds me of Chanel’s Boy – just slightly more pink – and the packaging is great so I think Sasha has really nailed the whole “sitting next to Nars” down. It’s nicely hydrating and a little bit glossy. The other colors I have are great too. Shell Shock in particular makes me feel like I’m in a great 1950’s or 1960’s movie (it’s very Audrey Hepburn). I’ve heard that they are coming out with more colors (and possibly even more in the line – like cheek tints) and if the lip conditioners are any indication, then that is extremely exciting news!

3. Laura says:

How timely! I just ordered Bang Bang this weekend as a birthday treat. I can’t wait to try it!

4. danielle says:

I recently purchased 2 Ilia lipsticks-Nobodys Baby and Blossom Lady. Love them both and need to thank this site for the wonderful reviews. I am almost clean, still using unclean mascara-Tartes, lights,cameras,lashes (rated 4) Switching to natural fragrance and mascara has been the hardest. I did make the perfume switch. Switching to clean lipstick was easy with Ilia-love all the colors and can’t wait to purchase more!

5. Michelle says:

love Ilia!! I have Shell Shock and Arabian Nights and they’re amazing. my lips are super sensitive and can’t handle much, but these are hydrating and beautiful. Never thought I would find such winning combination in lipsticks! highly recommended

6. Alexandra says:

Ooh, come back and tell us what you think of it! For me it reads as a super fun bright pink, but I’ve discovered my lip coloring makes everything pinker than it is. I’ve seen it appear more subtle on others.

7. Annette says:

I love Ilia as well. During recent Friday deals at NuboNau I bought Blossom, Nobody’s Baby and Bang Bang. I keep Blossom in my makeup bag to use as blush and my morning lipstick. I never EVER thought I would find a nude that I would wear. Enter Nobody’s Baby. Perfection. And Bang Bang? The red you have been searching for. Enough said.

8. Naomi says:

I haven’t tried anything from this line but as I’m deep in the throes of a complete make up rut and am looking for some new colours to get excited again I need inspiration and motivation to prevent myself from falling back to toxic lines (NARS was always a fave of mine). I will have to check this out and order myself some samples from Spirit Beauty Lounge – LOVE that I can experiment with colours without committing by using their sample system.

9. Stefanie says:

I have BANG BANG and Dizzy and love them both!I can’t believe how they moisturize my lips without drying them even a bit. The formula is really perfect!
    I also love the Living Nature lipstick in Laughter though. The color is perfection!:)

10. Siobhan says:

I have Blossom Lady, Shell Shock and a new one that is cming out soon and is limited edition so I don’t know the name yet but I will let you guys know when it does. It’s AMAZING and would look good on any complexion

11. Nicole says:

I love the colours, and have Ilia in Bang Bang and Arabian Nights, but unfortunately they dry my lips out soooo much to the point where they’re painful for days after, not to mention chapped. I wonder what’s in the formulation that causes this? I so badly wanted this to be my brand… :(

12. sam says:

Red is my fav color and I am soon going to order Ilia lipstick in Bang Bang :D

I wanted to try Ilia because the colors look nice, but upon a close look at the ingredients, some of those things are synthetic color, aren’t they?? I have super sensitive lips and won’t use anything synthetic on them. Ilia is not as clean, as, say RMS or Afterglow, I think.

14. Rebekah says:

Pretty colors, but nothing for vegans. Alas, alack. Can’t win ’em all.

15. Ariel says:

I just discovered Ilia in a Spirit Beauty Lounge sample pack earlier this month. I got Blooming Lady, which is a very flattering pink. As others have said, it’s similar to Chanel’s Boy, which was my old favorite lipstick. I also have Shell Shock, the perfect coral. Not too red, not too pink. It will be my go-to lip color for next summer. I’m super curious about all of their new products that are coming out this spring. Can’t wait to try more!

16. Rebecca W says:

I have Blossom Lady and absolutely LOVE IT! I’ve been searching for that shade my whole life and only finally found it in Ilia. I’m going to order another, different one soon!

17. Helen says:

I have one in Blossom Lady. It seems like I’m the only one who has a problem with how it tastes. I love the color, but I can’t wear it because whenever I taste it, it makes me feel really sick and I want to throw up. :'( I can’t toss it into the trash because the packaging is way too chic and beautiful.

18. Eugenia says:

I LOVE Ilia lipsticks, they are just amazing. I can’t believe how moisturising they are, and the colour lasts for ages!… I have Bang Bang and Arabian Nights and they are both delicious. I love how you can build up the colour: with just one layer I can use it as a tinted lipbalm, but with a couple applications it is a full-on lipstick. I saw that they are planning to launch some new colours in the near future, can’t wait!

19. Laura says:

A little update…I started using Bang Bang yesterday and first impressions are good! I don’t need to apply lip balm first which is wonderful (who knew lipstick didn’t have to be drying?). I am very fair and don’t usually wear bright lipstick but I like that Ilia is buildable. The color does look more bright pink than red on me, and that is a bit disappointing since I have worn pinks regularly for years. But Bang Bang is very bright after two coats so that part is new and fun. Overall, I like it a lot. Thank you for the recommendation!

20. laura says:

i love ilia too, the shades are great, the formula fantastic and the packaging is chic. however, the products do contain some synthetic colours (up to 0.6 in some sticks). Shouldn’t this be discussed a bit…?