Finally, an Antiaging Lip Balm

Last week’s conversation around aging was so awesome (thanks to all who shared stories and comments!), that I just had to tell you about this new product from Blistex that I saw advertised on the tube last night. The ad was so silly—and ironic, given last week’s post—that it induced an LOL howling fit and several DVR rewinds.

The new product is called Deep Renewal.

The claim? From their site: “Deep Renewal is the anti-aging lip treatment that’s clinically-proven to reduce visible signs of aging, deliver superb moisturization, and promote lasting lip health and vitality with consistent use.” The package also promises that the product “visibly reduces DEEP and fine lines” [emphasis ours].

Among the magical ways they’re promising you younger lips is with anti-aging ingredient C0enzyme Q10.

Is CoQ10 really effective as an anti-aging ingredient?

We’re not mad at Co-Q10 as an ingredient. It does have some promising early research, but as per, more is needed. Some studies have shown that it can have positive antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects on skin when applied topically, but as Paula Begoun points out, there are many good antioxidants and no reason we should think this one is “the best.”

Is CoQ10 even in this product?

Let’s look at the ingredients, shall we?

Active Ingredients: Dimethicone (2% w/w), Octinoxate (7.5% w/w), Oxybenzone (2.5% w/w)

Inactive Ingredients: Atelocollagen, Beeswax (Apis Mellifera), Butylene Glycol, Dipalmitoyl Hydroxyproline, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Flavor, Jojoba Esters, Lanolin Alcohol, Microcrystalline Wax, Octyldodecanol, Pentaerythrityl Tetraisostearate, Petrolatum, Phenoxyethanol, Polybutene, Polyethylene, PTFE, Ricinus Communis (Castor Seed) Oil, Saccharin, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Sodium Chondroitin Sulfate, Sodium Hyaluronate (Hyaluronic Acid), Sorbic Acid (A Preservative), Squalane, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Ubiquinone (Coenzyme Q10)

There it is! Right at the end, after a whole bunch of other stuff. What do you know, the most publicized ingredient is used the least.

What do you think? Will the cosmetics industry ever stop inventing products that we don’t need while also lying to us about their effectiveness?

Comments
26 Responses to “Finally, an Antiaging Lip Balm”
  1. Valerie says:

As long as people keep buying without reading and understanding the ingredients on the label, those products will be made and sold.

By the way, anyone could recommend a hydrating lipbalm with spf 15 to 30 effective in harsh winter conditions ?

Wow, what gross ingredients. Most people who believe the hype do so because they want to believe it, so it’s easy for the industry to suck people in. The industry only does what supports its survival – it won’t change until consumers change, so let’s all keep doing our part!

Lip wise, I love a little exfoliation with my Pai muslin cloth, and my favorite balm is really not meant for that but is great for my sensitive lips: Meadowlake Farms Hive Isolates Renewing Salve.

@Valerie, Badger makes a 15 lip balm, but I usually just use the 30 sunscreen patted onto my lips. It’s really white but just a teeny bit does the job.

3. Naomi says:

Interesting! In response to your final question….. NO!!! As long as there is money to be made and no law to be broken making it, companies will continue to produce and sell whatever brings in the $$$. So until legislation restricts their claims and / or ingredients it is only the power of the consumer that will dictate what is on the shelves for purchase. And by “only” I do not in any way mean to belittle the power of the consumer (which I believe to be hugely significant) but as long as there exists the lack of knowledge of the ingredients in the product, a lack of understanding of how those ingredients affect us, or a lack of caring about the impact of dangerous / potentially dangerous ingredients the industry will not have any message from us, the consumers, that we are demanding change. Money talks.

4. Andreína (andre) says:

This is terrible. Filled with nasty ingredients. I hope people start to see the light, right in front of them, in their mirrors.

Dear peeps:
    You’re all meant to live and die.
    You are not immortal.
    Time will pass you by as well.
    Love what you have and stop dwelling over what you don’t.
    Embrace your imperfections and use them to enhance the rest of you.
    Continue to smile, enjoy life, and stop worrying about wrinkles, grays, and getting old.

We’re all going there…

5. Tea says:

I agree with Valerie…as long as majority of consumers remain ignorant companies can seemingly make whatever they like! As we all know ;)

6. Valerie says:

Thanks Rebecca.

7. a says:

I like looking at the print ads in Vogue because they’re pretty, but I no longer believe any of the claims in the makeup ads.

@Valerie: HURRAW! balm has a sun balm w/ spf 15. It smells amazing and I love their lip balms! I live in Minnesota and they definitely do the job, even now in the winter (I run outside in the winter, so my lips feel it if my lipbalm is not up to par).

8. nancy says:

I honestly doubt that we will live to see the changes we seek.. An enterily re-designed beauty industry focused on the clean and effective ingredients that do no harm. It is really frustrating that we continue to be bombarded daily with these always amazing new discoveries and their ever present fantastic benefits, while all those claims continue to go unpunished.

@ for Lip trick.. I usually exfoliate a few times a week when cleaning my face at night. In the mornings, I use whatever is left on my finger after applying eye serum/eye cream. I started after noticing Tata Harper doing exactly that on herself at Space NK @ Bloomingdales.

@lip balm … love Hurraw! Lip balms …(but I do not live in a cold climate though)

9. danielle says:

plain old cocconut oil is the best-tastes good too!

10. Bella says:

The nest few years are sure to throw up some amazing products when it comes to anti-ageing treatments.
    As an expat living in Brazil I’m seeing some new natural based products that make big claims, especially in wrinkle control.

11. Pia says:

I like that you take the product apart and really look at the claims they make. Go figure on the low concentration of the “star” product.

12. Liv says:

As long as people fall for those false promises NO. That’s we need blogs like yours (or mine ;))
    Liv

13. Nicole says:

Agree, agree, agree re: lipbalm! Hurraw is really great and have so many different colours, scents, tints, etc! I also do the serum thing that nancy speaks of :)

14. Courtney says:

I had to share this with my coworker and his response was “The rest of you doesn’t look so great but, dang! you have the lips of a 14 year old girl” hehe.

@Valerie I find the badger lip balm to be pretty whitening but, I’m a big fan of Green Beaver’s lip balm with SPF 15 They’re a Canadian company family run and operated and the lip balm is also gluten free!

15. ania says:

hey
    i just made my own lipbalm last week and it’s pretty awesome!
    you just need to melt some beeswax, coconut oil and honey in a double boiler, add a spoon of cocoa powder, few drops of vit e and, if you like it, a few drops of favourite essential oil (i added orange) and… tada! you have delicious chocolate lipbalm in 5 mins

but plain coconut oil also works great

16. Cathy says:

I use an Eco-Lips lip balm. Several include a sunscreen.

17. Chloe says:

Ugh. I also wonder when the cosmetics industry will get a complete and total overhaul. I really believe that this blog and your book will help spread the word.

I also use and love Badger lip balm.

On another note—I was also happy to see a post today on a product. I look to this blog mainly for product reviews and recommendations. Although I am interested in food and health and wellness, I go to other blogs and websites for that info. You ladies are the only ones I trust as far as clean products….so….more please!! Thx:)

18. Lydia says:

Cosmetic companies will only stop using toxic ingredients when we stop buying their products. Instead, we can educate ourselves and buy safe, beauty products. There are so many amazing ones out there!

19. Yikes! I dont want this to get near my lips!

20. Sandra D. says:

Garbage!!! Go for something so so much better like Buddha Balm. Their stuff has no equal. Blistex is garbage compared to Buddha Balm.

21. Sarah says:

I love the overall gist of your post.. but I have to be the nitpicky nerd here and point out that.. just because an ingredient is the last in the list does not mean it is not biologically active at that level (dosage). If their claims that CoQ10 does actually work were true, it wouldn’t have to be the first on the list to be a valuable ingredient, just meet the proven dosage and usage rates for you to get the benefit.

Kind of like parabens (and other non-clean ingredients). They don’t have to be first on the list to be bad for you. Their presence alone, because they can be active at small amounts and with repeated exposure over time, is meaningful to the body.

22. Lindz says:

This is so frustrating…chemicals, chemicals, and more chemicals! I recently saw on the Today Show an Oncologist being interviewed. She flat out said that chemicals in our beauty products, plastics, and bottled water are contributing to breast cancer. It was the first te I’d ever seen this on a mainstream television show. I thought, “YAY, more awareness!” Then the other day on the same show, they reviewed winter skin care products filled with chemicals. Grrrr… I wish they would listen to the Oncologist and then change their beauty segments. Such mixed signals for the public.

23. x says:

Anti-aging lipbalm? Seriously?! Lololol. Besides the fact that lines in my lips are about the least of my concerns, the oxybenzone is a deal-breaker for me.

24. Susan Dent says:

I wonder why they are focusing so highly on the CoQ10. Much higher on the ingredients list was “dipalmitoyl hydroxyproline”. It is said (by the company that make the ingredient) that it promotes an increase in Collagen type III, the most ‘youthful’ sort of skin collagen. If it works, then I would wonder if that’s what does it.

I don’t like the petrolatum in it, though. That is just a barrier ingredient. I would wonder if that would hinder instead of help dry lips… sure keeps everything in, but doesn’t allow any other moisture in either!

25. Julia says:

Why are you recommending a lip balm with the ingredient “petrolatum”? Siobhan posted an article titled “A New List: The Dirty Dozen” and “petrolatum” was one of the dirty ingredients.