Keri Waxer from Tata Harper’s Morning Hair and Skin Routine…Exposed!

Good afternoon everyone, it’s time for our weekly installment of Morning Routines Exposed! Keri Waxer is the founding ambassador at Tata Harper—and we love her! She is a joy to work (and play) with and does an incredible job teaching people about the brand. She also has an amazing morning routine, full of recommendations (and not just from Tata!). Enjoy.

Name: Keri Waxer
Age: 33
Current Weather: Fall in New York (which now means snowstorms) Hair: Bond, longish and fine hair, which I don’t enjoy styling myself.
Skin: Normal to sensitive, prone to redness and irritations.

Before the shower…

I start my day in the am with hot water with lemon and take Vibrant Health greens with water to alkalize my body and to hydrate my skin.

I use a Waterpik, as I prefer it to flossing, and then use my Ascended Health clay toothpaste, OraLive which has superfoods in it. I love it—it has multiple uses, and contains probiotics and microbes to help with body detoxification and immunity. The price tag is super steep, a friend recently pointed out the pair of shoes I could buy if I stopped using it for a few months, but it hasn’t stopped me. This is one healthy addiction I can’t be without.

Then I drink my coffee with my morning emails and TRY to do some yoga.
In the shower…
I use an exfoliating glove twice a week instead of a loofah to dry brush my body. An ayurvedic doctor told me it was better for my vata type and I try to also use this great oil prior from Sarada Ayurvedic Remedies.
My showers are normally quick as I avoid washing my hair often so I swear by Lulus Geranium Hair Powder. I buy bottles by the dozen, even in fresh, clean hair it makes fine hair like mine so much fuller. On the days I wash, I used Rahua Shampoo and Conditioner and sometimes the Rahua Elixir which is super intense and I never wash it out. (I love treatments.) I use Dr. Bronners Peppermint or Rose Soap for the body (I also use this for everything else) and I really like this rose geranium bar soap I found at Wake Robin by these Brooklyn soap makers. The wrapping is so pretty I even leave one in in my kitchen just to look at and one in my shower (I buy them as gifts too).

After the shower, I spray the large floral essence from Tata all over my body and follow with the Revitalizing Body Oil. Between that and the dry brushing, you give yourself a lymphatic body treatment and keep your immune system healthy. On those days when I do wash my hair, I will finish with Rahua Finishing Creme, Pipino’s Primer (for protein) and either Intelligent Nutrient Volumizing spray or Sachjuan Ocean Spray and put my hair in a bun to dry and do its thing.

Out of the shower…
Most mornings, I just wet my face and then follow with the Hydrating Floral Essence but I recently started using Vapours Cleansing Face Oil. It makes my skin feel clean and looks dewy and fresh. I follow with this very light product from SkinCeuticals, Phyto Corrective Gel (one that has almost synthetics) that Leiticia from Gee Beauty introduced me to, to bring down the redness. Then I use the Tata serum which of course I’m obsessed with, Restorative Eye creme and Tata Harper Replenishing Nutrient Complex. It all makes me and my skin feel happy and nourished and I always notice the skin to be slightly more supple and thicker each time I use it.

Finishing touches…
Morning makeup is usually on the go (like in a cab) so it’s minimal. I love Vapour so I use their 115 Foundation Stick which doubles as a concealer where necessary, Eminence SPF 30 powder ( a recent discovery I found in Atlanta at Fabu Face Spa) which is awesome; protects and gives slight coverage and Vapour Aura for everywhere face, eye—and for my lips I am using the color Courtesan now which is so pretty. Shu Umera lash curler (this step I try do at home) followed with Jane Iredale mascara. Last is Kjaer Weiss lip tint; it’s so chic and we have the same initials which makes me love looking at this beautiful gloss in my bag even more!

Last but not least: I don’t leave the house ever without my Tata Stress treatment as that has become my fragance and natural scent… Plus my sanity.

Comments
23 Responses to “Keri Waxer from Tata Harper’s Morning Hair and Skin Routine…Exposed!”
  1. Alisyn says:

You know, I’ve been thinking about switching to a natural toothpaste for a while now, but had no idea what to try. Because of this Exposed! post, I read up on OraLive and I’ve decided to give it a try. It’s pricey, but it’ll be more than just toothpaste. I’m so excited! Thanks, guys!

2. Anu says:

I had never heard of the Oralive – it sounds unbelievably good and very tempting to try in spite of the cost. Would love to hear opinions of other people here who might have used it.

3. Emma says:

Great stuff! Can’t wait to try the Tata serum that I ordered!

I had a question: can you elaborate a little bit more on the health supplement you are taking to “alkalize” your body? What does this mean and how can one achieve it? I recently read an article about too much acidity in the body leading to cancer and illnesses, but I haven’t gotten the grasp of it.

In addition, I am wondering how much of this nutrition stuff we should pass along to our children. Increasingly, we hear about cow’s milk being bad for us (as per your recent post about the China study), as well as meat, eggs etc. Is this something that we should be doing for our childrens’ diets as well?

For example, our pediatrician suggests my 15 month old eat meat almost every day and eggs every other day. Should I stop this practice, I wonder, or would I be causing more problems for his development than the ones I’m trying to avoid?

4. Sarah C. says:

I too am intrigued by the OraLive Toothpaste.
    Keri- care to share any specific benefits you noticed or any improvements when you switched to OraLive toothpaste? Did it Whiten? Is is just for individuals who have “tooth pain”?

Thanks in advance!

5. keri says:

Hi! Alkalizing your body is very important and which is why you see people juicing all the time now. When your body is acidic, it is more prone to disease and infection. I love to buy green juices but when I don’t have time, the powdered greens do the job. They also give you a boost of energy, which you notice right away.

Oralive makes you feel so clean and healthy. There is nothing like it. It has probiotics in it, which is great for the immune system and for healthy gut, also good for healing gums. Check out their website they list everything and have some other great products as well- ascendedhealth.com

Nutrition is SO Important -it is the number thing for health and beauty. Nutrition is preventative medicine so start your reading! Two doctors who are fantastic on this subject are Dr. Jeffrey Morrison and Dr. Mark Hyman. They both have books available and blogs for important information.

6. patricia says:

Thank you for the great info. I really want to try this toothpaste. Is the clay toothpaste called the dental elixir? I went to the website and didnt find \clay toothpaste.

7. Cathy says:

Way too complicated for me. Way too many products to use!

8. No wonder Ker always looks amazing. We loved reading this post ladies as we ADORE our Keri- isn’t she FAB!?

Great sounding routine, and glad to hear of another natural toothpaste – sounds like something I’ll try eventually.

For those wondering about the alkalizing thing, nobody’s body is actually “acidic” or you’d be dead. Your body fluid pH is maintained within very narrow limits, a tad on the alkaline side. Your body regulates this very naturally, and there are foods whose metabolism produces more acids (like meat for example), whereas most fruits and veggies have a more alkalizing effect. One could argue that it’s easier on your body to maintain pH without overdoing acid producing foods. But there are lots of reasons that a diet heavy on the “alkalizing” foods is important for health. Fiber and antioxidants, etc., are super critical to health. I’m into raw and love juicing and think it’s very healthy for lots of reasons, but I just feel the need to say something when the everyday culture is morphing some pieces of the nutrition puzzle. No intent to offend/insult anyone, just throwing this out there.

10. Brittany G says:

WOW, Great Routine. This is by far my favorite one! Thank you for all of the detailed info. You have given me a lot of great ideas. Definitely going to try the Oralive.

11. Dr.MomTH says:

This was an interesting post for the wide array of products that she uses. But I was bothered by the advice on oral health for a couple of reasons. Let me start by saying that I am a periodontist who has also been a loyal follower of this blog for almost a year. So, understand that I am a scientist who also strongly believes in natural health and wellness. SO, my first concern was the suggestion that she uses a waterpik instead of flossing. A waterpik is a wonderful adjunct to brushing and flossing; however it can not take the place of either one. For a normal adult with healthy teeth and gums, the most effective way of cleaning your teeth is with old fashioned brushing and flossing. Using a waterpik in addition is unnecessary. If you do not have a healthy periodontium, you may want to use a waterpik in addition to flossing but you still NEED to floss. My other concern is with the claims made on Oralive’s website. I personally use a natural toothpaste and I tell my patients that the toothpaste you choose is really not what is important. The most important part of good oral hygiene is the mechanical action of proper brushing and flossing technique to remove plaque (bacteria). According to Oralive’s website “we must inform you that this product has no medical claims associated with it…however it has been shown to be extremely effective in rapid and effective healing of gum disease due to bacterial infection.” They are claiming that this toothpaste can “heal” a complex disease without any basis whatsoever (this post would be way to long if I reviewed all of the blatantly false claims on their website). And they are charging clients a ridiculous amount of money for products that can not do what they claim. When a company producing a “natural” product makes claims beyond what that product can really do, it damages the legitimacy of the entire natural movement. Please be careful what you recommend here because many of us really listen to the advice.

12. julie says:

tata’s stress treatment is like a breath of fresh air..i really enjoy the smell and the results are amazing..
    wish i had it years ago..

the tata harper moisturizer is another great plus…totally natural..as all her products are..not oily as others
    are..
    wish i had that a long time ago also..

seems like a lot of effort…but we are strong woman..and isn’t taking care of ourselves the most important??

13. Sophie says:

this is a very informative and straightforward article on acid & alkaline by annemarie colbin. she’s great!

14. keri says:

Dr. Mom TH- Thanks for your response. NMDL is an amazing site and resource as it provides a fantastic forum for great discussion. This is my personal routine and I am not a doctor. I was introduced to both the Oralive and the water pik by my doctor in NYC, Dentistry for health. It is a wonderful wellness center for not only dentistry work, but for specializing in all different types of alternative care. I would recommend it to everyone, including everyone in my family, as I believe strongly in prevention. I am not telling others not to do anything, I just love my water pik and love Oralive for what it does for ME. Everyone has their personal routines and things they love to do everyday. My daily routine was requested so I answered honestly. Thank you NMDL, what you are doing is FANTASTIC

15. Lauren says:

I wonder why there is another Tata Harper post? They even comment how fabulous they are. Is this blog turning into a marketing ploy?

16. Siobhan says:

We haven’t written about Tata in ages! We write about products we like, when we’re trying them. But as we have said on other posts like this, we have asked a range of women to share their routines—from other writers, to some commenters, to bloggers, to people with skincare lines we love.

Hope you all continue to like them–even if you don’t like them all!

@Sophie, thanks for sharing that article, it’s so much more balanced in it’s approach (and accurate!) compared to other stuff I’ve seen out there on this topic.

@Lauren, I love hearing from lots of different women on the routines, and it makes sense that some of the women in the beauty industry would have interesting routines. Part of what this blog does is talk about, and sometimes promote, clean beauty lines the creators like. I love that! It really helped me develop my own routine.

18. Masha says:

this is my favorite so far, thank you so much!

19. A says:

Enjoyed this post.
    I’m a bit jealous she uses the Tata Harper hydrating floral essence for her entire body! I have the means to use it only on my sweet little face!

20. Barbara says:

DrMom- thanks for the well-worded feedback on natural oral care. This is the one place where I haven’t switched over because I’ve had a root canal and do not want to take chances on a nother…my dentist recommends Crest so, I use Crest because I”m afraid not too. Was glad to hear that you say that the toothpaste is less important than the mechanics….would you share what natural toothpaste you use?

Keri- Thanks for sharing…we actually share quite a few products in comment…I had been using Vibrant Health Greens until I got pregnant (and stopped only because I couldn’t stomach it with morning sickness)…and after reading your post I was reminded to check and see if it was okay to use while pregnant (was most concerned about the ginko biloba)…and apparently is a great choice for pregnancy so, I just picked up some more and picked up a sample packet of the children’s version for my DD to try…

21. Dr.MomTH says:

Barbara – There are lots of natural toothpaste options available that are effective and will provide a nice flavor. If you need something with antibacterial properties that are effective in the oral cavity, look for something with CoQ10 or tea tree oil (although there are conflicting studies as to whether tea tree oil is actually beneficial in the mouth) and with zylitol. You can use baking soda occasionally, however it can be too abrasive when used on a daily basis and cause damage through abrasion of the teeth as well as the gingiva (leading to recession). I usually use either Jason’s or Toms of Maine – both of which I believe come with or without flouride depending on your belief about that. I should also mention that alot of natural toothpastes seem to come in cinnamon flavor for some reason. There are a significant number of people out there who essentially develop an allergy to cinnamon and can develop red, irritated areas on the gingiva that can be confused for pathology. So I recommend avoiding cinnamon flavored toothpastes. Hope that helps!

Keri – I am sad to hear that a dentist is supporting oralive as a company and recommended their products to you. But I want to be clear…my problem with oralive is that they drastically overstate what the products can do. Based on their ingredients list, It may be a fine toothpaste. My problem is with their claims that their products can “heal” periodontal disease and endodontic infection. They are not marketing this as a toothpaste to be used by patients with healthy periodontium. They are marketing it as a cure for serious oral diseases with serious implications for general health. That being said, I am not attacking you personally. I am glad that it is meeting your needs; however I would venture to guess based on your satisfaction that you do not have gum disease. I appreciate your willingness to be “naked” and share your routine with all of us.

22. mbelle says:

i always check with dr. weil’s website regarding alternative medicine. he embraces supplements and alternative care, but is also skeptical of scams. here’s what he has to say on dry brushing:

i agree with the previous comment about being careful about what you recommend.

23. Kristin says:

Keri, thanks so much for sharing your favorites.

HI Ladies, I did a bit of research online and came across testimonials about ORALIVE

“I am so impressed with Oralive. I originally heard about it from the Aware Show on KPFK (in LA). I have had problem gums for over 30 years and have regularly been going to a Periodontist and Dentist every three months to reduce my symptoms–gum bleeding, an aversion to cold (quite painful!!!), gum degeneration. Two things I noticed the first week after using Oralive: 1. My gums didn’t respond in fright to ice and, 2.) My teeth looked whiter. So, after four months of using Oralive, this week I visited my Periodontist and his Hygenist without saying anything about the product. Instead of flinching, bleeding and nearly crying as his Hygenist was probing my gums with her array of dental tools, I was calm. First time in 30 years!!!! There was minimal pain and bleeding. After looking at the results of her examination, she noticed my gums were stronger. Then, I told them about Oralive. Both were quite impressed. Seeing is believing. I’m sold and have bought this product for friends and relatives to help them. Thank you, thank you Oralive!!!! ”

“I’ve been using the oralive for 9 months now–3 dentist appointments. Each time the dentist and hygientist say my gums look so healthy, not pale as in the past; my mouth has normal saliva, not dry as in the past; there’s been no additional gum line or other cavities, and much less outer staining compared to the past. I’m really happy with the result.”

I am very curious about this product… I have tried several natural toothpastes and I have never heard of a toothpaste to be so effective.