Spirit Demerson’s Morning Routine…Exposed!

Ayo! The series continues with another very exciting entry: Spirit Demerson—she of the loved Spirit Beauty Lounge—has shared her morning routine with us! Without even trying, Spirit is a total glamorpuss, and she knows the naturals market very, very well, which is why we are thrilled to share her routine with you. Without further ado…

Name: Spirit
Current weather: Gorgeous
Hair: Mixed ethnicity fine, curly, blown-out to straight
Skin: Normal with hyperpigmentation and dark undereye circles due to crappy lifestyle habits (too much work on the computer, lots of coffee, not enough sleep!)
Before the shower…

I spend about 2-3 minutes dry brushing my whole body.

In the shower…

I use a Crystal Quest shower filter and Oxygenics Elite SkinCare Showerhead. The filter removes some of the chorine/chloramine from the water. I’ve been using the Crystal Quest filters for years now and whenever I use another shower without one, I swear I can feel the unfiltered water drying out my skin. The showerhead makes the shower feel more invigorating despite it’s being low-flow, and it adds oxygen to the water so that rinsing and sudsing works better.

I’m very serious about dental care so I usually apply a cleanser to my face and leave it on while I brush and floss my teeth for like 5 minutes. I alternate cleansers depending on whether or not I’ve been sweating/wearing makeup/had hormones fluctuate. I go between the Kahina Giving Beauty Facial Cleanser and Tata Harper Regenerating Cleanser and once or twice a week I’ll use the Acure Organics Brightening Facial Scrub.

I body wash with anything I’m in the mood for!  And I actually use Because Moisture Retaining Hand and Body Scrub several times a week—I’m kind of an exfoliating freak.

Outside the shower…

While I’m still damp, I thoroughly spritz my face and neck with Tata Harper Hydrating Floral Essence and quench my whole body down with either Tata Harper Revitalizing Body Oil or Because Multi-Tasking Hand and Body Lotion for drier days, and I smear on my Soapwalla Deodorant.

Then I do Tata Harper Rejuvenating Serum and Eye Cream, wait about 5 minutes and do Tata Harper Rebuilding Moisturizer. I always wait at least 20 minutes before I do my face if I’m having a makeup day.  I like to give my skin care a chance to set and absorb undisturbed.

Finishing touches…

My low-maintenance day face is Nvey Eco Mattifying Compact Powder for full coverage of my crazy multi-colored skin from hairline to chest, Alima Pure Satin Matte Eyeshadow in Raven on my brows, RMS Beauty Living Luminizer on my lids and cupid’s bow, and a  pop of color with Revolution Organics Beauty Balm in Blushed on my lips and cheeks.

Image via

Comments
30 Responses to “Spirit Demerson’s Morning Routine…Exposed!”
  1. Stephanie says:

I would LOVE to know what she uses for her hair!!

2. Susan says:

Thanks for sharing! I’m always curious about people’s daily routines :)

3. Karla says:

Me too! What about hair care!?!

4. jenny says:

these morning routine posts are brilliant. and yes, HAIR is so key… would be very nice to know.

5. Kerri says:

Awesome! Love these posts!

6. Spirit says:

Lol I’m always a little shy about my hair. Two things: I invest in good cuts (Sade at Ted Gibson salon) and blow-outs (I go almost every week to a local salon). I try to convince everyone who has crazy hair, that an “investment cut” at least twice a year and professional maintenence is a godsend! It has completely changed my hair around for two reasons:
    One is that when it’s not cut well, I use way too many products and spend way too much time trying to get it to just lay right. A good cut reduces the amount of time you spend trying to tame it and ultimately it gets healthier and shinier because you’re not wrangling it or flat ironing it for a half hour every day. If you have a little extra cash and you are blow drying or flat ironing your hair almost every day, you’ve got to stop. I read somewhere that daily heat styling is actually worse for your hair than say, highlights. And it’s so gradual you don’t realize it until you just have fewer and fewer good hair days and you see a picture of yourself and think “why is there straw on my head?!”. No products can undo that – you gotta just stop. I’ve weaned myself off of the daily flat iron by air drying with Yarok Feed Your Ends and Feed Your Shine and wearing it up in a bun a few days a week (even letting the dreaded curls be!) and then getting a blow out that lasts a few days for the others. Since I’m not active (unfortunaltely) I don’t feel my scalp needs to be washed every day so I’ll wear a shower cap for a couple days after my blow out. I ise Yarok Sh+Con or Ctonics Core for clarifying. I use Amazon Beauty Rahua Hair Spray for styling. I use Kahina Argan Oil for pre-swimming and ends treatments. I’ve learned that hair care is so much more than just the products we use. I think we have to be nice to our hair for it to be nice to us! And patient, oh so patient.

7. Spirit says:

Oh! And this isn’t just a plug – if you have delicate hair that breaks or dry hair with oily scalp, get a Widu brush TODAY. I didn’t even have brushes on my radar until the people at Widu sent me their wooden bristle brush to try. At first I thought it would never work for me – I used three different brushes on a daily basis to detangle, straighten, then style. A hairdresser even told me that my brushes might be tearing my hair and scratching my scalp but I didn’t listen. Since I started using a wooden bristle brush only, my hair is honestly shinier and more manageable and my scalp feels normal – never itchy like it used to. I know it’s crazy to think that a brush makes a difference but it does. Now I’ve heard it from a few other people with formerly crazy hair too that it’s no longer snapping looking frizzy and dull after brushing.

8. Kathryn says:

I was thinking the same as Stephanie, I would really like to know about her hair routine as well.

9. Sarah C. says:

Sorry to sound ignorant, but what is dry brushing and what are its benefits??

10. christina says:

I totally agree on the “get a great haircut” tip. My hair has a mind of its own & I have enough of it for two people, even as short as it is!

11. jenny says:

also can you explain when you use which cleanser? just curious as to the forte of each? thank you!
    p.s. thank you spirit for being so open and inspiring.
    p.p.s. i am so thankful for this dialogue.

12. Sophie says:

Spirit, I’m dying to know what oral hygiene products you swear by. Thanks!

13. reese says:

Oral hygiene & dry brushing- details, puhlease and thank you!
    And hair tips: aweome! Thanks for baring all!

14. Rosemaria says:

I feel clueless about dry brushing one’s skin.

I’ve read about this practice a number of times, but I can’t seem to recall HOW one does it, and most specifically, WITH WHAT.

Is there a special brush designed for this purpose?

15. Spirit says:

@jenny I’m pretty intuitive with my skin (after all these years obsessing) when I can feel that I need the enzymes to digest the scum in my pores – I’ll use Kahina. When I feel like I need to manually exfoliate surface skin and buildup I use the Tata Cleanser and when I feel like I need a new face I’ll use the Acure Scrub, lol! The Acure scrub never feels like it’s scratching the skin but it has such a nice grain to it that it’s perfect for when I really want a good scrub off.

16. Spirit says:

@Sarah C. I dry brush because it feels great and I swear it keeps my skin toned. Even when I’m not in great shape, my legs always look toned, firmer and smoother (no bumpies) when I’m dry brushing regularly. I sometimes get severely dry calves and regardless of the lotion or oil I use, the dry brushing makes that final bit of difference. It boosts circulation and collagen. I kept hearing from these Sports Illustrated/Victoria’s Secret supermodels that they swear by it and then all these people in the health/wellness community too. I finally started doing it religiously last year. More here! http://www.spiritbeautylounge.com/blog/body-brushing-for-radiant-beauty-and-health/

17. Spirit says:

@Sophie sadly there’s nothing too green about my dental care. I LOVE my Oral B Triumph, my Dr. Tungs floss, and the hardcore Colgate Total Advanced Whitening toothpaste. I’ve had so many dental traumas throughout life that every time I try to switch to an all natural toothpaste I literally have paranoid nightmares that I’ll be in the chair getting drilled for cavities again. Can you guys help me? Are there any holistic dentists out there who can convince me I can fight gingivitis and cavities without Colgate?

18. Jaime says:

!ow everyone really loves Tata Harper products!
    But why in the world is one bottle $150!? I know its a quality product but really?
    Please explain!

19. Melisse says:

Wow, Spirit, you’re inspiring. I think I need to spend less time drinking coffee and more time with my amazing products (or routing through the beauty closet) in the morning. PS: I second the love for Yarok and Rahua for hair!

20. Rose says:

Spirit – About dental care: I have the same fear! Cavity fillings (and worse) are so expensive and since my teeth are sort-of susceptible to them, I use fluoride-infused mainstream toothpastes. I fear when I use natural dental products that they won’t prevent cavities. However, like you, maybe I just haven’t tried the right products.

I have a tendency to think historically, and I tell myself, “You know, people survived without fluoride long before it came around,” but at the same time, I’m pretty sure they all had trouble with their teeth and just accepted it as part of life. :) But maybe not.

I’d like to hear someone else’s input on this point, too!

@Spirit, I’m no dentist but I love Miessence toothpaste. Lemon is my fave, then anise. I don’t like the mint though. I was afraid to stop using whitening toothpastes, but this stuff is awesome.

oh, and about the Miessence toothpastes, I’ve been using them for several months, and when I recently went to the dentist he actually asked me how I take care of my teeth because they looked so good, he wanted to pass on the info to his other patients – so cool! I was very proud.

23. Spirit says:

@Jaime – the price of the Tata Harper Serum seems on market with all the others to me:
    La Prairie Cellular Anti-Wrinkle Firming Serum $185
    Estee Lauder ‘Perfectionist CP+’ Wrinkle Lifting Serum $135
    Shiseido ‘Future Solution LX’ Ultimate Regenerating Serum $225
    but the Tata Harper Serum cost of ingredients is about 20 times or more the cost of these.
    With 29 Actives, not just one, I don’t find Tata Harper products to be relatively expensive at all.
    There simply isn’t anything natural with these kind of age-reversal actives out there to even compare it to, but comparing to any department store “hero” serum with similarly clinically proven results, the Tata Harper prices are average, while the results and the ingredients are far superior. For women who are already spending $150 on a conventional anti-aging and age-reversing (there’s a difference) serum, this is a huge upgrade!

24. Spirit says:

@Jaime …that being said, if you’re already spending $50 on a natural serum, will you notice the difference in the $100 increase? Absolutely – in most cases, faster, more dramatic, more lasting results. If you can only afford $30 for a natural serum, will you shrivel up and look like a troll? No! But the lower priced natural serums are best for skin that needs lots of antioxidants to prevent the onset of signs of aging, not to reverse them. If you want the best money can buy, age reversal is hugely important to you, and you’re sick of spending it on hype, I’d say put your money on Tata Harper instead.

25. Jaime says:

@Spirit, I’m not using a serum … opps! Thanks for the great explanation! :)

26. Lee says:

Hi Spirit,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to all these posts. Just curious, I’ve read your what’s in my shower post on the SBL Blog and was wondering if you have a filter for the sink in your bathroom as well? I got an aquasana filter prior to reading your post a while back because I’m concerned about what the chemicals and contaminants in the water might be doing to my skin and hair. However I do wash my face at night at my bathroom sink and was wondering if you have a solution for that beyond getting a full house filtration system (I live with my parents, I’m not ready to commit to that if I’m moving in a few years and they are indifferent)?

Thanks!!!

1. [...] ‘Perfect Butt’ Yoga Pants (for Skinny Photoshopped Aliens)—Yogadork.comSpirit Demerson’s Morning Beauty Routine…Exposed!—NoMoreDirtyLooks.comGet Out There: Nature’s Healing Power—DrFrankLipman.com/Eleven Eleven [...]

2. [...] smarties at No More Dirty Looks managed to persuade Spirit Demerson to reveal her beauty routine…and, no surprise, it’s full of lovely products. (I need to get myself a body [...]

3. [...] some active-ingredient-packed eye serums that I love—especially Kahina Giving Beauty’s and Tata Harper’s and most recently La Bella Figura’s, which I am still [...]

4. [...] from the outside-in, called dry brushing. I’d heard about dry brushing a few times, but then Spirit Demerson mentioned it was part of her daily routine on No More Dirty Looks. And Keri Waxer mentioned it [...]