Arnica: Eye Cream’s Unsung Hero

Siobhan here! Below is a post from our friends at Well+Good and I couldn’t be more happy to read it. I’ve long suspected arnica would be great for undereyes, where the capillaries and skin are so delicate, because it’s terrific on bruises. I use arnica gel on my frequent leg bruises, and feel it works wonders to speed healing. I have even joked to friends that arnica is my magic bruise eraser. It doesn’t work immediately, but I find I heal more quickly than if I were to leave the sucker alone. In any case, try it on your booboos, and without further ado:

Magic-sounding ingredients abound in eye creams that promise to de-puff, unwrinkle, and lighten dark circles.

One simple ingredient that may actually do something for these skin-care woes? Arnica montana, a decidedly low-profile botanical that’s widely used in homeopathic medicine for bruising and massage oil for sore muscles.

How it works? “Anti-inflammatory arnica is one of the best known herbs for dispersing trapped fluids, which is why we use it in our Restorative Eye Creme,” explains Tata Harper, the formulator-founder of the luxury natural line, who also grows the herb on her Vermont farm. “It works by stimulating the activity of white blood cells to relieve congestion, thereby reducing under-eye bags,” says Harper.

Mmmm. We love Tata’s eye cream. Read the rest, and Melisse’s product recommendations here.

Have you ever tried arnica?

Image via

Comments
21 Responses to “Arnica: Eye Cream’s Unsung Hero”
  1. comagirl says:

Some days I just feel like I live in a bubble. I have never heard of such a thing and I bruise quite easily (and frequently). I will definitely try this as well as the eye cream. I am a really tough sell, so ymy hat is off to you. You definitely got to me this morning. I have about five bruises to try this on, currently. That should suffice. Plus, the brused and battered runner’s toes.

Ok…..where can I find just arnica? The restorative eye cream is just a “tad” too pricey for me…..

I use arnica often for muscle pain, and also for bruising. It works quite well, but the key is you have to get it on as soon as you get injured. If you have an older bruise/injury it may help, but it’s far more effective when used immediately. I keep a tube of arnica at home, work and in my travel bag. I’d say it decreases pain from the injury overall and speeds healing by several days.

I’ll have to give this eye thing a try – but I’d like to get some arnica to mix into a product I already use. It’s not available on skinactives.com, so I wonder if I could just get the homeopathic tablets and crush them up.

4. Evelina says:

Having two very active boys, Arnica is a staple at home for bruises and all kinds of minor injuries, or the cream for burns or skin irritations. It never fails to help! I had never heard about Arnica used in cosmetics, but I will try tonight :)

5. Megan says:

We love arnica at our house! my husband recently badly bruised his foot, and 4 days of 2x daily application the bruise was almost invisible. And it was black from his ankle to his big toe. Love that stuff, you can also take it in tablet form for healing from surgeries and help with scarring in internal tissues.

6. Naomi says:

I know Wholefoods sells arnica cream in a tube – not sure of the price (definitely on the cheaper end, probably because it’s not targeted for the vanity cosmetic use!) and I don’t know about applying near the eye area, but worth checking out if you’re interested in a budget friendly option. (I’ll be browsing this weekend for sure!)

7. jess says:

Arnica in an eye cream does make sense! BUT! I’d be a bit cautious about using the arnica gel that you’d use for bruises on my eyes. The kind we had growing up had the tendency to sting and my dad always made me give my hands a really good wash after applying it specifically so it wouldn’t end up in my eyes!

8. katie b says:

Mountain Rose Herbs sells arnica extract in an olive oil base. I’m thinking of adding some to a little shea butter and making my own eye cream.

@katie b, thanks for the heads-up on Mountain Rose Herbs! I’m definitely ordering some stuff from them and will mix up some eye cream. Maybe I’ll just put a couple other actives right into the arnica/olive oil mix and try that out.

10. katie b says:

No prob. :)

11. Carissa says:

You can also get arnica montana ‘pellets’/pills that you put under your tongue to dissolve.
    I work at a medical clinic where a nurse does cosmetic injections, and she recommends to her clients to take it for 3 days before to prevent any bruising. Works every time, and is very inexpensive – $7 for a bottle

12. Nancy says:

I too have used arnica on bruises to great results. Vouch also for the tablets to be ingested prior to surgery to prevent bruising(as per doctor’s recommendations for a whole month prior to surgery date).
    @Rebecca, if you come up with an arnica potion for under eyes ,please kindly share:)… Love Tata but $$$

@Nancy, I’m thinking coffee bean extract and green tea extract directly in the arnica oil I plan to order from Mountain Rose Herbs (thanks to katie b’s comment). When I get a chance to try that out I’ll report back!

14. Nancy says:

@ Rebecca.,your line of thoughts seems just perfect ! I used to love a product(dirty though) that had coffee berry as their main thing… Anyway,I’m positive whatever you come up with will be both sensible, affordable and effective! I second the words from Kahina-Giving Beauty team about you… You should be enlisted as our dear chemist:) thank you!

15. Liz says:

I just finished reading an article on Vintage Savoir Faire about how to make daisy salve (oil infused with daisies) for bruises. She says it works just as well as arnica, so maybe it could work for the eyes as well? http://vintagesavoirfaire.com/2011/07/hyper-local-herbalist-making-daisy-salve-step-1/

16. Rebecca W says:

I just found Arnica in an oil base from a local apothecary (?), in addition to trying it under my eyes, I’m going to try it on my breasts – I get REALLY bad (sometimes excruciating) breast pain with PMS (read: RIGHT NOW). Will let you know if I notice anything!

17. Jill says:

Just a heads up…I had never heard of Arnica until now, so out of curiousity went our friend Google to see what it is . Just be careful what you purchase and the dose you are using! Google for yourself to see what its all about. Jess (july 14) mentioned being told to wash her hands etc after using. The information I read also said *not * to use on an open wound as well. Just because its natural, doesn’t mean its safe. Educate yourself, its the best medicine :o) Just thought I’d put that out there.

@Jill, I totally agree – always educate yourself as to whether a particular product is right for you, and how to appropriately use it. Arnica is definitely not for open wounds, and I wouldn’t get the gel I use for bruises/muscle aches anywhere near mucous membranes (inside mouth, nose, eyes, etc.). The gel usually will have some type of alcohol, I think that’s the main reason to keep it away from eyes and such.

19. Ada says:

Ok I just want to get rid of under eye bag, mind you it’s only under my right eye, I don’t know why . It really bothers me. Both my eyes look tired. Arnica is something some doctor on t.v recommend highly for dark circles and bags. But as I see most I find in stores are for bruising and pain.. HUH? So what to get?

20. Marveen says:

Rebecca if you had nol luck with arnica for the boon ache I strongly advise evening primrose oil (orally). Works a treat for me.

21. debbie says:

BIG QUESTION here….I love arnica. I’m wondering if I can crush a few pills up and put in an oil to use for massage. I have threee bottles of pills and don’t want to buy more stuff. Wonder if crushed an dheated a bit in the oil, it would dissolve and work well? Any ideas? Thanks!