Tips On How to Eat Vegan for Our Vegan-For-A-Week Challenge

So you want to do our vegan challenge, but you’re not sure how? Well, there are some great resources out there (and lots of mouth-watering recipes).

We have a big crush on Kim Barnouin of Skinny Bitch, and her website Healthy Bitch Daily is an awesome place to visit if you’re looking for vegan inspiration. Just yesterday, HBD posted about how to do vegan on a budget, and they have an entire section devoted to their favorite recipes. YUM. Kim also just published a cookbook this year, so there’s no shortage of ideas from this lady and her team.

Alicia Silverstone’s site The Kind Life has a great recipe section too. And if you need more motivation you can read The China Study, listen to Bill Clinton talk about his new vegan diet, read this recent article about billionaire David Murdock’s plant-heavy plan to live until he’s 125—or just revisit our post about how veggies make you glow.

And we’re barely scraping the surface here—there are so many sites and books to help get you get excited about eating plants (whether you’re going for the full challenge or not).

Next week we will post about some of our favorite vegan-friendly restaurants too… And look forward to hearing yours. In the meantime do you have any other resources to share?

Vegan pyramid via

Comments
16 Responses to “Tips On How to Eat Vegan for Our Vegan-For-A-Week Challenge”
  1. Elizabeth says:

http://www.theppk.com Hands down, the best recipes in the world. Even my carnivorously inclined husband loves them.

2. Kris says:

Love these recipes!

I have to say, I’m not sure I agree 100% with the food pyramid above. In fact, not only the vegan food pyramid, but the normal food pyramid as well.
    I think good fats (nuts, avocado, good oils like olive oil and coconut oil) are a very important part in our diet.
    Good fats help fill us up and are good for our skin, heart and body.
    For so many years we have been told to opt for low fat foods as full-fat ones simply make us fat, when in fact this is not true. Whole foods that contain good fats are the ones that are absolutely beneficial for us.

I find my body (and mind) function better when I stick to lots of fruit and veg, a decent amount of legumes, seeds, beans, brown rice and good fats, along with a small amount of bread and pasta.

x

3. Alexandra says:

I’m actually totally with you Kris! I had the same thought about the pyramid—but it’s eye catching, right? ;)

the pyramid is definitely off with the healthy fats way up top…bugs me that the pyramid says “dairy substitutes” – makes it sound like the vegan foods in that group are depriving you of your true food, dairy. >: |

5. jess says:

I think this challenge is great! I had been a vegetarian for six years, gave that up for a while, and recently started cutting my meat consumption back to only two meals a week. I think this is a great, though I do agree that the fats and oils should be a larger part of the pyramid.

Also! There’s a real danger when you depend on fortified dairy substitutes, or meat substitutes, for that matter. Heavily processed soy products are not your friend! Things like tofu and miso (i.e. the traditional soy products) are great, but processed foods in general are bad and unfortunately it looks like soy may be worse than others.

6. Kris says:

It’s got a lovely tropical feel Alexandra, makes me feel like a nice big bowl of fruit salad! :)

7. jody lee says:

I really like these girls: http://theveganproject.ca/

Yummy recipes and a bunch of other resources :)

8. Elizabeth says:

Also, I am a vegetarian (have been one for 15+ years), and I’d say my bean consumption is much closer to the bottom of this pyramid. That doesn’t make much sense to me to have to suggest that legumes should be limited. Interesting though!

9. Genny says:

Thank you! My friend and I are starting on Monday…I’m excited for this!

10. reese says:

Soy is bad for you unless it’s fermented.

Reese, I’d agree that fermented foods are healthy in general. I don’t think that soy that’s not fermented is necessarily unhealthy, there’s a lot of confusing info out there about soy though. I personally stay away from soy protein isolates (in so many things these days!) as when you take the nutrient out of the whole food, it is NOT the same as eating the whole food. I’ve also heard lots of soy is genetically modified and that may have its own problems.

12. Michele says:

PCRM is having a 21 day vegan kickstart program. It already started but there are many tips, recipes, and celebrity contributors that may be useful.

13. Ariel says:

I’m on my 3rd day of your vegan challenge. I miss cheese but I do feel healthier without it! I’ve been using a bunch of vegan recipes fro 101Cookbooks, so that’s been helping me keep on track. I’m enjoying soy milk just as much or more than regular, which surprised me. Up until starting this trial, I’ve been a “flexitarian” but I think after finishing this I may cut out meat except for fish, and switch to drinking soy and rice milk.

14. My special veggie recipe is avocados with raspberry vinaigrette. Yesterday i cooked for my 7 neighbours. They really like my vegan cooking.

1. [...] Tips On How to Eat Vegan for Our Vegan-For-A-Week Challenge [...]