Should Walmart Target Kids With Cosmetics?

The short answer, of course, is hells no! But what if they’re clean?

Come February, Walmart will be launching a new line of cosmetics for the 8-to-12-year-old set called GeoGirl. Because what little girls need is to be encouraged to put crap on their still-perfect skin and to learn right from go that being beautiful requires enhancement from products.

But then, here’s the thing: When I was a kid, I loved nothing more than putting on a full face of makeup, spraying my self-cut bangs into an 80s tease, gluing on some Lee Press-On Nails, and pretending to be a grown-up. I cringe to think of the chemicals, but that sort of adult imitation is kind of par for the course, no?

So, if GeoGirl is actually clean—as it is claiming to be, but ingredients are not listed anywhere yet (and we have our doubts, especially given the super low price point)—is that a better option than mom’s kit? I, for one, don’t know where I stand on this. Marketing makeup to kids just seems so insidious. But if they’re learning about clean cosmetics at that age, doesn’t that bode well for the the future? What do you think?

Image via

Comments
20 Responses to “Should Walmart Target Kids With Cosmetics?”
  1. Fonda LaShay says:

this is a tough one. i too dressed up and painted my face as a kid – quiet literally too, i loved using the makeup to make clown faces :)

however if it is safe it is ofc going to be better. but the idea – the basic idea – of telling a 8 year old kid they need to wear this makeup is just wrong. Kids are so impressionable at this age, and for that young girl to see the posters in the store or her friends wearing is just unnecessary – it teaches way to young that they are not enough.

I am very happy (however was not! at the time) that my dad would not allow makeup till 15/16 – he always just told me I was pretty the way I was and did not need that crap – he always said it was not what makes person beautiful – I am so thankful for that.

2. Emily says:

No, I don’t think that cosmetics should be marketed to kids. Clean or not. The fact that they do not list their ingredients makes me highly skeptical on this claim. For the occasional “let’s dress up and play grown up” Mom’s older cosmetics are fine – wonderful, even. My poor potential daughters, Mama won’t really have a stash of make-up for them to play with.

3. Dorinda says:

I appreciate not only wearing clean cosmetics but wearing less make-up. My skin looks great because of this. I loved playing in make-up as a child, at 30 I still love to play in make-up but I know I don’t need to cake crap on my face to look and feel pretty. Let them make the choice to buy clean products as they get older just like the majority of us have done. Don’t get me wrong, teaching kids to go green is great but is it necessary to take the fun out of being a child? Can’t we as a society just let kids be kids and have fun playing in make-up?

4. Marie A. says:

I too played at makeup when I was that age. And I think it’s an important part of growing up as a girl. While I don’t want any girl to think she has to wear makeup to be pretty or buy into the whole commercial beauty regime, we all needed to PRACTICE putting it on so on the occasion where we feel the need for something, like going to a fancy dress wedding, we can put something on and not look like clowns. It took lots of practice for my mom to look at me and not say “tone it down”. I finally got how to make it look natural.

That said I’d certainly be skeptical of “green/eco” claims.

5. Therese says:

Another reason to hate Walmart. Maybe they can sell them a “healthy” diet pill to go with the makeup. It is all about reaching new markets but this is too low. A better idea is to give these girls a copy of your book so when they are older they mayl choose healthy makeup if they choose to where any at all.

6. reese says:

If they are clean, then it is a step in the right direction. Kids are going to dress up, fake make up kits abound; anyway. Considering 6 year olds these days know what bj’s are… is putting on a bit of real (clean) make up, marketed directly to them, so bad? It’s all part of the process of “growing” up! But then again, I will def raise my daughters w/ a different set of morals, and understanding of make up, beauty etc…

7. Alexandra says:

@Therese Now there’s an idea I can get behind!

8. Mimi says:

I’m going to say no simply because we as a society need to realize that consumer marketing is mostly bs (Walmart being totally full of it). The amount of garbage, quite literally, that we produce, consume & then toss away is nothing short of abominable.
    I’m with Therese too…educate, don’t manipulate!

9. comagirl says:

Sorry, boycotted Walmart a long, long time ago. I’ve never been in one and never will.

10. LaniePainie says:

Thank you for posting that. I was hoping you could dig up the ingredients list. I’m really curious to see it. But regardless, it’s just WRONG.

11. Jeannette says:

Well they’ve been marketing those lip smacker things for a while and over the years they went from lip gloss to full fledged colored lip stick. Idk, I think as long as I explain to my girls that it is for pretend play and not for school it would be okay. I played with my mom’s makeup when I was about 8 years old.

12. Melinda says:

an 8 year old walking outside the home with full makeup isn’t my idea of appropriate. An 8 year old sitting in their own home playing with make-up and doing their hair and dressing up in mommy’s heels is totally appropriate. I only know how to do my make-up now because I played with my moms when she would leave the house.

13. Trudi says:

This is a tricky one. On one hand, yes, it’s healthier makeup but on the other hand, are we teaching young girls that because it’s healthier makeup, they can wear it everyday as opposed to just playing dress up or special occasions? My mother only let me wear makeup if I were going out somewhere special like a wedding or school party. Where I grew up, if you went to school and were caught with makeup on, they gave us detention.

14. x says:

I don’t approve of little girls wearing makeup, but if this makeup is really as safe as they claim it is, I might just start using it on myself (I’m 18 and have been wearing makeup on and off since age 16)! But I”ll definitely take a look at the ingredient list first to make sure I’m not being caught into yet another marketing scheme…

15. I thank the Universe on a pretty regular basis that I was given 3 boys.

16. Jo says:

You know, when i was a kid i had this Barbie doll. It was the only Barbie i had(the rest were cheap ripoffs), and she came with makeup. Three sets of glittery makeup, one red, one pink, one…mauve or blue.
    So, it’s nothing new.

17. Elizabeth says:

Actually the ingredients are listed. Just not on the internet. I’ve bought a few GeoGirl products for myself and they were actually pretty good! I’m going to buy some for my 11 year old sister.

18. lovocrill says:

Celine Bag&Celine Impedimenta Are Sold In Our Celine Online Machine shop With 50%-70% Touched in the head,2011/2012 Newest Collections In search Transaction! Free Territory Shipping!
    Celine Bag
    Celine Luggage
    Celine Online Shop

1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by the beheld, No More Dirty Looks. No More Dirty Looks said: Does an 8-year-old need makeup? Walmart sure thinks so http://bit.ly/etqscq [...]

2. [...] into the world of Everything Pink and Pretty, which then sets them up to love Barbie, Bratz dolls, makeup for eight year olds, and every other plasticized, pretty-fied artifact of modern girl culture. The relentless marketing [...]