Random Vegan Tip: The Coconut Milk Cappuccino

Speaking of animals, I know that a few of you are trying on a vegan diet for your new year’s resolutions so I wanted to share a discovery that I made this morning: the coconut milk cappuccino. [Note: neither of us is strictly vegan but we both enjoy what I'll call a vegan-heavy diet.]

After years of drinking my espresso black, I’ve recently rediscovered the decadent pleasure of a yummy cappuccino. (I blame the Dean &  Deluca’s in New York where Siobhan and I ordered them on a whim this December. I’ve been on a cap kick since.) Like many people, I’m on the fence about dairy. Yes, it’s delicious and unless I really overdo it on cheese or ice cream, my stomach seems to hold up ok. But I have my reservations nonetheless, even about organic milk (which is what I use in my morning cappuccino).

So today I tried something new and made it with coconut milk instead. I realize that my obsession with all things coconut is reaching parody peaks at this point but here’s why coconut milk is great: 1) It brings fat to the party, which makes things taste better (it’s become my go-to for green smoothies as well), 2) it has a third of the calories, and 3) none of the sugar of regular milk. It also contains fewer ingredients than soy, almond or rice milk. In my opinion those tend to be overly sweet and kind of processed tasting. And by the by, a similar conclusion was reached on Mark Bittman’s blog.

Anyways, coconut milk works like a charm. Foamy, creamy, good. If you’re curious, this is the one I used. And if you’ve never tried Coconut Bliss vegan ice cream you’re also in for a treat.

Got any other great vegan tips for our brave friends? Share the love.

Comments
19 Responses to “Random Vegan Tip: The Coconut Milk Cappuccino”
  1. Jess says:

Wow, that’s so exciting! For some reason I never thought of using coconut milk except in random thai recipes, and I have been struggling with the perfect sub for random milk use, like you said, the alternatives are less than desirable… I’m stopping at the store on the way home!

2. Elizabeth says:

This sounds fantastic–I’m definitely going to try it out. I gave up sugar for the new year, but I have intension of giving up my espresso. :)

3. Cindy says:

My new favorite vegan “milk” is homemade cashew milk. Just take 1/2 cup raw cashews and soak in 2 cups water overnight. Blend it all together and it’s done!

4. Alexandra says:

Good for you, that’s a tough one. Have you tried stevia? It takes a little getting used to but I like it.

5. Elizabeth says:

I forgot about stevia. I used it years ago & liked it. My no sugar thing started in an attempt to get rid of empty calories from my diet. My cravings for sweets are pretty much gone now, but I’ve been absolutely exhausted since I quit. Each day gets a little better, though.

6. Elizabeth says:

I will have to try this out. I love all things coconut! I have been using organic coconut oil the last few months as an eye-makeup remover and it works great on my sensitive eyes. And I swear my lashes look longer than before!

7. Shannon says:

That sounds AMAZING!

8. Steffie says:

For the tea drinkers, instead of honey, use agave nectar. Has about forty percent of the impact of honey on your blood sugar, which is handy for diabetics. Also useful for baking!

Non-vegan use for coconut milk: fudge. Divine! I’ve also successfully used coconut cream (different product) in rice pudding with crushed pineapple for a wonderful treat to use up leftover rice, which, if you can find a good egg substitute, is vegan friendly.

9. gretchen says:

Homemade almond milk isn’t hard to make, especially since [one of] you got a fancy Vita-Mix. Soak ‘em for 12 hours, then blend with water and strain it through cheesecloth or a fine mesh sieve. I usually then blend in some agave [or blend up dates with it] and vanilla.

10. Mimi says:

How serendipitous…just got home from a little trip to find my meat eating, dairy loving boyfriend (a Resistor as one poster put it :) sipping on a coconut creamer coffee. He was so proud of himself, as am I.
    Can’t way to try it!

11. Christina says:

Yeah! That creamer rocks :)
    We quit milk about a month ago, and I think I’ve only had cheese twice since the new year, so I am pretty proud of that. Cheese is so darn good!

12. reese says:

amazing, thanks! i LOVE all things coocnut, too! will have to try w/ my espresso machine…I have heard about making your own nut milks, too, gunna try it soon!
    Also, i have heard that stevia has turned up to be actually bad for you? Annnnd, i am TRYING to find milks that have no carageenan in them that i can find in wichita, ks… ?? I am pretty sure i carageenan does not sit well with me. and whyyy again so many additives!?! bleh!

13. reese says:

OMDOG why does EVERYTHING have carageenan in it!??!! ACK!

14. Josefa says:

Hey!!!
    The capuccino sounds delicious, but I was wondering if any of you know how to do it from scratch. I know how to make the coconut milk, but a client of mine is trying capuccino with nut milks and its not tasting well at all!! Anyone know any tips we could use?? I would greatly aprreciate it!!
    Blessings from South America!

15. bonnie says:

Make your own delicious coconut milk; it’s simple and incredibly delicious!!!

1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by amalabeauty. amalabeauty said: Sounds delicious! RT @NoDirtyLooks: Random tasty (and vegan) tip: Use coconut milk in your cappuccino http://bit.ly/i9NxKz [...]

2. [...] If it weren’t for cheese I could seriously go vegan. [No More Dirty Looks] [...]

3. [...] …. also a cool eco-blog devoted to green beauty and living. The authors of No More Dirty Looks give reviews on organic beauty products, talk about the truth behind ‘green’ label claims, and have some great green advice, tips, and recipes (such as this one for vegan coconut milk cappuccino!). [...]

4. [...] broken espresso machine had me drinking my coffee out, so I wasn’t making my usual delicious coconut cappuccinos. Instead, I got into the habit of throwing half-and-half in my to-go coffees (and not even the [...]