Have You Used Apple Cider Vinegar On Your Hair?

Every time someone new comes over, I wonder if they’ll be alarmed by the magnum of apple cider vinegar that sits next to my tub. The salad-dressing staple, most of us know, is amazing for use on our hair, in part because its pH is similar to that of most conditioners—making it an easy nontoxic way to get smooth strands without forking over the big bucks for a fancy conditioner.

(Not that I don’t love forking over for fancy conditioner. Because I do.)

What’s fun about ACV is that there seems to be no end to the different ways people will use it. I’ve tried it as a stand-alone conditioner, and as a treatment—heck I also used to drink the stuff every night before bed—but here’s what works best for me:

About once a week, after I shampoo (with shampoo, not ACV), I pour a little of the stuff on the top of my head. Then I put conditioner on my ends, and wait a few minutes. Maybe I shave my legs, or exfoliate with a washcloth or something. After a few minutes, I rinse it all off, and voila! Silky shiny tresses. Mmmmm. Well, sort of.

There’s a slight issue of smell.

A couple of months ago, Virginia from Beauty Schooled and I met for a glass of wine at Eataly and she relayed a very funny story about going for a hair cut and having her stylist catch a whiff of vinegar on her still-damp hair. (Read her laugh-out-loud post about it here.) I’ve had this problem too, and I’m big on smell, so it bugs me.

So the other day, when Tricia from Yourjoyologist.com tweeted at us about using ACV as her shampoo, I had to ask her: What do you do about the smell??

Well, Tricia wrote us a letter:

I have been washing my hair with just the water and Apple Cider Vinegar for almost a month now and loving it.  I was wary at first, but since none of the shampoos I have been trying lately have been to my liking I figured why not?

I am quite active and sweat a lot.  I did notice that in some of the hot yoga classes I take I can smell vinegar, but its not too bad.  One time, my sweat went into my eyes, and stung a bit, but that only happened once.

I have been putting Argan oil on the ends while it is still damp and that is it.  I have not needed any styling products at all.

Two days ago out of laziness, I used my Kiss my Face shampoo and conditioner, which I bought because Alicia Silverstone and her site recommended it, and I had to seriously load on the products after and it still didn’t look as good as it has been with just the ACV and argan oil. Also, I have always battled dry scalp dandruff and using the ACV I have not had any scalp issues. The day I washed with shampoo last week my scalp Immediately started to itch like crazy.

Quite the endorsement! So we want to know: Have you used ACV on your hair? If so, how? Conditioner? Shampoo? And what on earth do you do (or think about) the smell?

Comments
71 Responses to “Have You Used Apple Cider Vinegar On Your Hair?”
  1. Cyndi says:

Anyone heard of ACV for alopecia or hair loss?

2. Jeff says:

I have been using Apple Cider Vinegar on my hair and noticed the first wash, my hair was soft and shinny, the second time I noticed that my hair took on some volume, I continue to use it even though it is not the easiest to take in the shower with the smell, but I will continue to use it since I prefer a more natural and green way to clean my hair.

3. Floyd says:

watch out don’t get it into your eyes, burns alot!

4. I’ve used ACV as conditioner after shampoo bars. I love it, and for me the smell isn’t bothersome. I’ve heard of people adding essential oils and vanilla extract to it as a sort of scent mask, but haven’t tried it myself

5. Coletha says:

I use it and love it. The first time I did it I must have had an infection or something. I had no symptoms, but oh how it smelled! It was like something died in my hair was resuscitated and died again. I thought wow I can’t do this…the smell is horrible, so I followed it with shampoo. I immediately noticed a difference in my hair. It was soft and silky. So i tried it again about a week later. Other than a light vinegar smell it was nothing out of the ordinary. That scared me. Why did it smell so bad the first time? Anyway, I eventually stopped using shampoo and only use Apple cider vinegar to wash my hair. I do follow-up with essential oils, especially coconut and vanilla, both are perfect for masking the smell and you don’t need a lot. I struggle with hair loss due to alopecia, which is caused by the DHT hormone. It leaves a waxy build-up on the scalp and in the hair follicles. Apple cider vinegar breaks up that build-up and strips it out of the follicles., something I didn’t know until after I started using it . I was very pleased to see new growth

6. Mei says:

How frequent should we use acv to wash our hair if we are to replace it with shampoo?
    Is it ok to use daily ? Especially when we sweat a lot, we need to wash our hair daily else the scalp will be a little greasy. Anyone can advise on this? And does long term using helps to stop hair loss? Thanks for your sharing.

7. LB says:

I began using apple cider vinegar as a conditioner and baking soda as a shampoo in July 2012. For the past 2 months I’ve been using just apple cider vinegar to wash my hair with and I love it! I rinse my hair after washing, with water and don’t really notice a smell.

My hair is soft, silky, conditioned and so easy to style. Also, I dilute the acv with water quite a bit. I find that if I use too much acv my hair is too silky, almost flat, so I don’t use a lot.

I also started using acv to wash my face and even my entire body! I’ve always had dry’ish skin and very very dry legs that would itch because of the dryness. I tried all kinds of soaps and lotions from every price range and also tried the natural organic products. Nothing seemed to help. Since I’ve been using acv to wash my skin, it is so moisturized and smooth! I can’t believe it. I am sold on apple cider vinegar!!

8. MCasey says:

Please help ! I color my hair black…. It gets oily fast, but my scalp drives me nuts! It is dry and flaky on a top ….but oily underneath … I think I am going to give ACV a try … Any ideas?

9. Patty says:

What kind of ACV do you guys use? Is it the kind with the mother in it, Bragg’s?
    Anybody use ACV without the mother in it?

10. Sherry says:

Omg I love this stuff. It has turned my long blonde hair into silky and shiny gold! It’s just incredible stuff and it brings out my natural highlights better than any other product. I don’t mind the smell at all…in fact I like it. I pour it undiluted onto my hair and scalp after shampooing and conditioning with Joico products. I leave it on for about 5 minutes then I rinse with cold water. I can almost see my reflection in my own hair, that’s how smooth and shiny ACV makes it….like a mirror! I get compliments all the time.

I also drink ACV in warm tea daily. My complexion has never been more beautiful. I feel so much better since I’ve been ingesting it on a daily basis. What a wonderful all-purpose staple to always have in the house. I use Braggs raw and unfiltered ACV that contains the mother.

I’ll never give this stuff up and intend on using it for the rest of my life! It makes my skin so incredibly soft. My boyfriend can’t stop touching me and complimenting the softness of my skin and hair. This stuff makes you sexy from head to toe.

Thank you God for apple cider vinegar. xoxoxoxoxo

11. Dean says:

I have bad dandruff and flaky scalp issues. I’ve used T Gel, Nizoral, Head&Shoulders, etc. After I use these, my scalp is still flaky! I thought it was due to the harsh chemicals drying out my scalp. Now all I do is massage vinegar into my scalp and wash out with lukewarm water. It works AMAZINGLY! My scalp isn’t dry afterwards and hair feels fine (i.e. it feels clean). The only problem is that the vinegar smell still lingers. I’m trying to find a way to get rid of it without wasting a lot of water. It also makes my bathroom smelly so I have to leave the windows open for long. BUT the bottom line is that is actually helps against dandruff. I don’t wake up to flakes on my pillow anymore.

12. I loved as much as you will receive carried out
    right here. The sketch is tasteful, your authored subject matter stylish.
    nonetheless, you command get bought an shakiness over that
    you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come further formerly again as exactly
    the same nearly very often inside case you shield this
    hike.

13. Melissa says:

I use ACV tomwash my hair. For years I batled scalp issues that were horrendous. While using the ACV, I dont have scalp issues. On two occasions, in haste, i used conventional shampoo and conditioners and that gave me scalp problems for weeks. In addition, I have a difficult hair texture which is curly yet both fine AND coarse, and with the ACV, my hair feels silkier and better than with any product of any price. I add a few drops of the following depending on what I have and what i feel like: argan oil, vitamin e oil, orange oil, lemongrass oil (which i find masks the vinegar well) and sometimes a few drops of tea tree oil and or peppermint oil. In addition, sometimes if i feel like i need a little extra cleansing of my scalp, i take a little baking soda and rub it into my scalp and then when i pour the vinegar solution (which by the way, i find that it is quite sufficient for me to do a 50/50 solution ACV and water) then the reaction bubbles up and if I act quickly, i get a nice “lather” that i can massage around really well. But i do not do that every time. Conventional shampoo strips the hair way too much… Then we are supposed to put conditioner on it to correct it. Flip over a bottle of conditioner and look at all of the chemicals, and thats why many folks have dandruff, or worse scalp issues. Another thing to point out is that many folks think that oil in the hair is bad but it is not… With my method: the logic is that th clean, good smelling oil is gently washing away the dirty oil. Im not a scientist or expert or anything, but i can only say that this has worked better for me than any shampoo from cheap to expensive or even prescription.

14. Marie says:

Will Apple Cider Vinegar cause my hair color to fade quicker? I use Clairol Natural Instincts which washes out after 28 shampoos. Thank you!

15. Reiza May says:

I have used ACV as a conditioner and yes, it leaves locks shiny. What I do, after shampoo, I dilute the ACV with water, about 1:4 (ACV to water), and let it run from the top of my hair to the ends. Why dilute it? because my husband doesn’t like the smell, lol

16. Tierra says:

Hey it’s completely safe to use ACV as a shampoo and really wonderful actually! I am a cosmetology student and I have learned about the hair and skin for 2 years now. How it works is the PH SCALE your hair is anywhere from a 4.5-5.5 wich is acidic. Water is a 7 wich is neutral and anything above a 7 is alkaline. Bleach/lightner is alkaline that is why it’s soo rough on your hair. When you use something acidic on your hair say ACV it has a really low acidic PH of about 1.5-2 so what it does is smooth, close down your frizzy cuticle, and love on your hair. It’s like giving your hair a diamond ring, it loves it! Your skin is also acidic, so if you have dry skin it is great to use on skin, if you have really oily skin then try using a product more alkaline. You can find out the exact ph of your skin and hair since it can vary a little depending on certain traits, elements, etc, by purchasing PH strips used to test a chlorine pool. -Tierra Cosmetology Senior

17. Debra says:

Hi, I was using Wen for almost 2 years and about every 5 months I was coloring my hair. I had an unfortunate stay in the hospital and lots of meds and when I came home, it was about 4 months more and my hair started falling out every time I brushed it or even combed it, the hair came out in handfulls. I was devastated. I quit coloring my hair and remembered my mother who is 90 years old still rinses her hair with ACV and her hair is so soft and shiny so I thought that I would try it. What I would like to know is for your hair is white vinegar good or the yellow vinegar? I also drink vinegar every morning, (2 Tbls. to a glass of water); have not seen any results for this yet. The ACV I drink is Braggs with the mother. The kind for your hair; which is best? White or yellow? Please advise as I want to stop my hair from falling out!! Thanks.

18. Rebecca Bailey says:

@Debra, I don’t think ACV is going to make your hair stop falling out. You seem to have a deeper problem that needs to be addressed. There could be hormonal issues like with the thyroid or sex hormones. Changes in diet or certain supplements, or other sensitivities/allergies can cause hair loss as well. If your hair is literally coming out in handfuls you should see a medical professional. Hope you are able to figure things out.

19. J.D. says:

@Debra I used to use Wen and it was great- but then, after a couple of years without it, I was given a bottle and it made my hair fall out, a LOT- I read up online and it has happened to a bunch of other people, too. It took a while after I stopped using Wen, but my hair stopped falling out. Wen is actually full of some really harsh things, including menthol- I find that anything with menthol and/or eucalyptus makes my hair fall out like crazy!! Try stopping the Wen- it might take a little while to stop falling out, but you might see improvement- Good luck!

20. Jenn says:

I’m in love with acv!! I started using braggs with the mother in it 3 weeks ago, I mix 2 teaspoons of it in 8oz of water once a day. I also use it as a rinse in the shower or as a mask that I leave on until it’s almost dry. I used wen for the past year & nexxus before that & I’ve never had my hair look or feel so smooth. Btw wen is absolutely horrendous for your hair. Not only was my hair limp & lifeless it was also FALLING OUT in chunks. I’m happy to say my hair is getting thicker & is growing. Plus my skin is glowing :)) I’m a acv buyer for life!!

1. [...] anything with their names on it and came across their blog.  The first post I read was about using apple cider vinegar on the scalp after shampooing.  This was entirely new to me, but already I felt another sudden [...]