So, What’s Your Makeup Routine?

In keeping with this whole makeup theme, we want to know: What’s a typical makeup day for you?

I work from home most days, so I often don’t wear anything. But if I do leave the house? Hells ya. Even a little trip to the grocery store has me putting on a face. Nothing too heavy, but definitely some concealer and a quick smudge of color on my lips and cheeks. Mascara has become a 50/50 for me: I tend to either go intense on the eyes—and that means using our DIY charcoal liner—or really neutral with a darker lip. Ok, your turn.

Image via

Comments
28 Responses to “So, What’s Your Makeup Routine?”
  1. Van says:

I work 50 hours per week at the office and put in more hours for my personal website projects every night. Working on little sleep I spare coworkers the full horror of my zombified face with this routine:

- Eye liner, gel type I apply with an angled brush. As little as possible, basically “tight lining”
    - Peach colored eye liner on my inner eye, makes me look alive again and helps diminish my red-eye
    - Same peach blended into tear ducts and brow bone to open eyes. Some days. When I’m not TOO lazy.
    - Minimal Concealer under eyes and sometimes on other needed spots
    - Occasionally a lip color, pale pink or medium pink. Both look subdued/natural with my mocha complexion.

I make my own skin care stuff, it’s fun, easy, and works better than store bough junk. I shall try your DIY liner!

2. Emily says:

Nothing. I do have a concealer stick I picked up at The Body Shop while on a business trip last year. Wear it once a… month or two, if that. I have some (very old) lip glosses that I put on for business trips. Occasionally.

All of the stuff I have is so old, I should just pitch it. Honestly, don’t think I would ever notice.

3. Aster says:

Nothing! Sometimes, when I’m not too lazy I wash my face with some water and a washcloth. I brush my hair, though, and sometimes rub some coconut oil on my face,

4. Marie says:

Daily? None. nada zip zero. I wash my face at night after my bath. I only wear makeup on special occasions like weddings and job interviews.

Long ago I used to wear makeup daily, but I just hit the point in my post-college hippie days where I realized I was pretty just as I was, and I didn’t really like the way I looked made up. Which is not to say I’m bad at putting on makeup, because it looks nice when I do put it on, I wear subtle shades and eyeliner, but I still look not like me.

Now at 40, I’ve added on a bit more care of my skin in terms of moisturizing, especially now that I make my own products, but other than that I’m happy to leave the makeup kit in the cabinet.

5. Amy F says:

Ok, I’ll speak up for the make-up wearing ladies! I struggled with the switch over, as Sephora was one of my favorite places to shop. Now, I use Tilvee argan oil on my face, a little blush from Coastal Classics, powder concealer from Coastal Classics, charcoal eyeliner from Josie Maran, Josie Maran neutral eyeshadow over the eyelid, some Burt’s Bees shimmer on my lips and then my mascara is still a dirty one (Stila, I had just bought it before reading the book). When I look a little pale, I’ll use some bare minerals bronzer, which I’m sure isn’t that great either.

6. Jennifer says:

Gosh, I’m just realizing I use a lot! I am planning to whittle down my routine when I run out of things. Ahem, here we go…Eucerin moisturizer with sunscreen, concealer, powder foundation, blush, eye shadow primer, eye shadow, eye liner, mascara, lip liner, lipstick, lipgloss too.

7. Brooksie says:

I have a few different looks.

Fresh face is clean and moisturized. Minimal is concealer, tint on cheeks and lips, and lip balm. Polished is concealer, foundation, eyeshadow, eyeliner, curled lashes, mascara and lipstick.

I use Bare Minerals and Josie Maran for the above looks. I also do theatre and burlesque which requires an intense look and lots of glitter. That look is still not ‘clean’, but I am working on it.

8. Aunt Bitch says:

We’re also speaking up for the making wearing ladies! Tinted moisturizer, a dusting of mineral powder for a matte look, blush, light liner and mascara, and lip balm. If we’re feeling super fancy or need to look gussied up, we’ll add some cream and brown eye shadow (or darker if it’s black tie) and colored lip gloss.

9. s says:

On the 2 days a week I’m in a biz-casual office, I wear Dr. Hauschka black volume mascara, and sometimes a Dr. Hauschka lip gloss. Besides that, nothing unless I’m going somewhere fancy, in which case I still use my old dirty standbys of the past: deep red MAC lipstick and my old Rimmel liquid liner (though never together).

10. Trudi says:

My casual look consists of Argan oil, concealer (unclean), eyeliner and lip balm. Eyelash curling is a definite. My fancy schmancy look consists of Argan oil, concealer (unclean), mineral powder, eyeliner, mascara, lipstick and a spritz of unclean perfume.

My ultimate facial beauty goal that I am working on is to simply curl my lashes and swipe on some lip balm and feel awesome.

11. Shannon says:

I work full time and I also do consulting on the side. As a mother of a 2 year old, I keep it simple: concealor, mascara and blush. Sometimes I will put on eye shadow and a little lipstick but that is about it.

12. Martha says:

Hurray for make-up wearing ladies!

I use rosehip oil around my eyes, and a bit of clean concealer to cover darkish circles. A dash of mineral powder (clean) a tiny bit of blush (dirty) and some clean mascara. Also lipgloss, (dirty) which I will switch to clean when I’m finished my current tube.

13. Kate says:

My daily routine is:

Shisheido Oil Cleanser
    Josie Maran Argan Oil
    Concealer (Neutrogena – eyes & spots)
    Tarte Tint Stick on cheeks and lips (Dirty?)
    Mascara (Cover Girl… dirty, I know, but it’s the only one that comes off easily when I wash and doesn’t end up under my eyes during the day)
    Eyeliner on the lower lash line – (Aveda)
    Lip Balm

14. MochiNYC says:

For non-work days I wear lip color, Yes to Carrots or Burt’s Bees; if I am breaking out I use (dirty) Benefit concealer on spots and follow with Jane Iredale 30spf translucent powder on my whole face/neck/arms.

For work I wear the same things but I curl my eyelashes and also add Neutrogena (dirty) dark brown eyeliner, Max Factor (dirty) brown/black mascara, Bobbi Brown (dirty) dark brown brow gel (my eyebrows are blonde but I am naturally dark haired), and Nars (dirty) orgasm blush. I tried using a beet for my lips and cheeks like the book says but 1. I hate beets and 2. I look like a kewpie doll.

I have switched to Dr. Bronner’s soap for my body and hair, and jojoba oil and Dr. Haushka for face cleansing, but I am slower about changing makeup, because I like all my stuff and my girly products.

15. Andrea says:

I’m pretty sure I look completely frightful without under-eye concealer. Kudos to all the women who can get away without it. Haven’t switched over my make-up to clean products yet. I’m saving it for last –

Daily:

Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer with 20 SPF
    Josie Maran mascara -love it as much as I used to love my Dior Show
    MAC undereye concealer
    John Masters Organic lipgloss

If I have a date, event, fun night out planned, I add liquid liner, blush and possibly some eye shadow or lipstick to the routine. If I know I’m going to be photographed, I wear fake eyelashes. They really make photos pop.

So no, I won’t be participating in the no make-up challenge… :)

16. Alyssa M says:

I’ve toned it down for regular days.. these days I use mineral foundation (also dotted on spots as a concealer) only where I need it, I curl my eyelashes, and I wear blush (haven’t bought a clean blush yet so I’m still using my ol’ dirty ones). Sometimes I also wear a clean(ish) lipstick or balm. But I do loooove my makeup.

17. Michelle says:

For work days I use Evan Healy moisturizer, Bare Minerals foundation & eyeshadow, Tarte mascara, and a clean eyeliner pencil I can’t recall the name of at the moment but was a recommendation from the book. Also, Burts Bees lip ballm.

On weekends I just use the moisturizer, lip balm, and the mascara. Being fair skinned & blonde hair I feel that mascara is a MUST have or else I have the cancer patient look

18. Dani says:

you know, i used to pride myself on having a pretty a pretty simple beauty routine, but over the years i’ve gradually become more dependent on make-up for a variety of reasons: a desire to look more professional/be taken seriously at my job, a creative outlet/means of expressing myself, a confidence booster/means of concealing scarring from my youth, etc. my workplace is overtly feminist and i also surround myself outside of work with like-minded people, but this is one of the few issues that i’ve yet to examine closely with a feminist filter. thanks for the extra push!

daily routine:
    vitamin e cream
    physicians formula healthy wear spf 50 tinted moisturizer
    physicians formula mineral wear pressed powder
    physicians formula organic wear mascara
    tinted eyebrow gel
    lip balm

i’ll play with lipstick and eyeshadow from time to time, but i tend to keep it “simple” during the work week.

19. Marie says:

Full makeup almost every day- and my mascara is the only thing that remains dirty. I haven’t been able to get to my local health food store to pick up activated charcoal- none of the other stores around (K-Mart, Target, etc) appear to carry it.
    Alima Pure for eyeshadow and concealer/ foundation.
    Honeybee Gardens eyeliner (you will have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands- it is soooo AMAZING!!!).
    Maybelline Mascara (blagh, I know).
    Burt’s Bees for shampoo and lipgloss- but I plan on switching to something else after I use up the ‘poo. Tired of it.

20. Tanveer says:

Eyeliner – Maybelline Unstoppable in Dark Brown on both upper & lower lash lines
    Tinted Lip Balm – The Body Shop Born Lippy in Raspberry.

This is my daily routine :)

21. Aj says:

Ever since I had an unexplained allergic reaction and looked like a monster from godzilla for two weeks, I quit wearing everything, and never went back. I used to wear foundation every day, since high school. Just recently I switched to Bare Minerals, then quietly retired all of it.

I’d like to have a concealer powder and a blush, but I’ve never been good with makeup anyway, so why not save the money for shoes?

22. Alice says:

Bare Minerals foundation (both as concealer and powder).
    Bare Minerals eye brow powder.
    NARS blush (waiting for it to run out before getting a clean one).
    Tarte Lash Hugger mascara (great brush).
    and if I have time, some Benefit Bad gal eyeliner (which I plan to replace with Jane Iredale shortly).

I’ve concluded that unless you wear a ton of makeup, no one is going to notice you going without besides you. A couple days a week, I usually go without to let my skin breathe.

23. gretchen says:

Moisturizer and powder. I used to do under-eye concealer, but I lost it a couple months ago and haven’t been buggered to replace it. About twice a year I’ll put on some mascara and eye shadow.

24. Amy says:

I recently switched to Burts Bee’s lip gloss. I also use some kind of Mabelline foundation, but I plan on switching to a clean one when it gets used up.

25. via says:

i don’t use much on my face, but one thing i absolutely wear on a daily basis is a little bit of blush blended into the apples of my cheeks, and that’s it. i wear W3LL People’s Universalist, and i can not recommend their line highly enough!! Super clean, chic, and they carry colors that other natural lines do not. (and, p.s., it’s touted in the book!)

26. Bob says:

If you want to know why, in a nutshell, so many women do choose to wear makeup, head over to this article on Treehugger.com and check out konservativanarkist’s post. http://ow.ly/2MtgZ

When presented with being labeled a “dog” and of lesser value by the many judgmental pr@cks in our society who base a woman’s value on how pleasing to the eye she is, many women understandably choose to reduce that harsh judgment, scorn and devaluation by making the most of what they have via cosmetics.

Is it right? Wrong? It’s neither, actually. Lots of people — men, too — wear cosmetics of some sort every single day. The bottom line: If it helps protect your skin from the sun and gives you a little boost of confidence, go for it, without shame. If you happen to be one of those people who think you look better without it, more power to ya and rock on.

27. Sarah says:

On a casual day I wear Korres Wild Rose concealer, Bare Minerals SPF 25 Mineral Veil to set the concealer and for sun protection, I use Bare Minerals Vintage Peach Blush for a little color (A great replacement for NARS Orgasm), highlight my cheekbones with Physicians Formula Mineral Glow Pearls, fill in my brows with MAC Folie eyeshadow (dirty?), I curl my lashes with my Shu Uemura eyelash curler, highlight with a ivory shimmer eyeshadow from Tarte around my tear duct and underneath my brow bone, apply several coats of Urban Decay’s Big Fatty Waterproof mascara, and finish with a tinted lip balm.

For evenings I might use a liner like Urban Decay’s 24/7 Glide on Eye Pencil in Bourbon around my eye and smudge it out or Sephora’s Doe Eyed Felt Eyeliner in Black, add more mascara, contour my cheeks with MAC’s powder blush in Harmony (dirty?), and maybe a lipstick.

1. [...] on "putting on your face." Though, why is concealer allowed when technically that's make-up? In a blog post by Alexandra after the challenge announcement we see [...]